Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Problem description: Just built myself my first PC in a long time after years of laptops and ever since getting it up and running, the PC will randomly just lock up for a couple seconds and then turn off and immediately restart. This happens randomly, and usually not under load. Sometimes the PC will be on for over a day, sometimes a couple hours before it does this. Also, when using my secondary monitor (a projector) that screen goes completely green when it locks up. I want to point towards maybe a GPU issue? Also, within the last couple days I noticed something weird on the desktop, it's like... a transparent shaded area that when the mouse is over it, it changes the cursor into a resize cursor but clicking and dragging doesn't do anything on it. Right clicking also doesn't do anything either. Clicking it does darken the area around it though.

Desktop:

Cellphone shot of the cursor over the object in the upper left corner of the desktop.

Oh, also, turning on "resizable BAR" (since I have both AMD parts) in the BIOS caused my PC to to have no video output and I had to remove the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS settings. The computer still booted just fine, just, there wasn't video for me to do anything either from the GPU or the onboard HDMI.

Attempted fixes: Reseated components and installed GPU drivers.

Recent changes: Nothing, PC is a fresh build.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.870

System specs:
- AMD 5900x
- ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming MOBO
- MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6800XT
- 64GB 3600mhz RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Mostly everything I've found asks to reseat the GPU, RAM and CPU which I've done. Doesn't seem to yield anything. I've heard that AMD drivers can shakey, so maybe that's it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS. If that doesn't help then I'd try using onboard video for a few days and see if the machine still reboots unexpectedly.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'll try the onboard video for a bit then, thanks. Also, trying to update the BIOS hasn't worked because when trying to use the EZflash utility within the BIOS it tells me that the file I got from ASUS' website "isn't a valid BIOS file." Or something to that extent.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

sigher posted:

I'll try the onboard video for a bit then, thanks. Also, trying to update the BIOS hasn't worked because when trying to use the EZflash utility within the BIOS it tells me that the file I got from ASUS' website "isn't a valid BIOS file." Or something to that extent.

Did you use the BIOSRenamer application to rename the CAP file? If not, that might be the issue.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I did, still a no go. It gets renamed to RSB550FG but the updater still doesn't take it. It's also a .CAP file as well so it's not like the renamer changed the extension or anything.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

sigher posted:

Oh, also, turning on "resizable BAR" (since I have both AMD parts) in the BIOS caused my PC to to have no video output and I had to remove the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS settings. The computer still booted just fine, just, there wasn't video for me to do anything either from the GPU or the onboard HDMI.

Out of curiosity--since I haven't seen it mentioned yet--do you have CSM (Compatibility Support Module) disabled in your BIOS? The problem you're describing after enabling Resizable BAR (the PC appears to boot, but there's no video) appears to be directly related to this. CSM should be disabled if you're attempting to enable Resizable BAR.

https://www.techarp.com/computer/guide-smart-access-memory/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Out of curiosity--since I haven't seen it mentioned yet--do you have CSM (Compatibility Support Module) disabled in your BIOS? The problem you're describing after enabling Resizable BAR (the PC appears to boot, but there's no video) appears to be directly related to this. CSM should be disabled if you're attempting to enable Resizable BAR.

https://www.techarp.com/computer/guide-smart-access-memory/

So I was going to update my current situation, because I managed to find an updated BIOS for the motherboard... I have the WiFi version of the B550 and I was trying to upgrade with the non WiFi version's BIOS, so that's on me. However, now I wanted to give this a shot and double check the CSM option and try resizable BAR again... except now I cannot get into the BIOS at all. EVen in the advanced boot menu that should restart me into the UEFI BIOS it does, Windows still loads up. So that's fun. I'm going to rip out the m.2 and see if I can get into the BIOS that way I removing the CMOs battery doesn't do anything.

Oh, and also, now sometimes when I boot the CPU maxes out at .56GHz, and it won't correct unless I restart and hope I get lucky. Really weird and only started happening with this new BIOS update. I'm thinking this mobo might be messed up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So it looks like the last motherboard got turbofucked with the BIOS update, tried booting the PC without the GPU and m.2 to see if I could get into the BIOS that way, it didn't work.

Bought a new motherboard, installed it, managed to update the BIOS, turn off CSM and turn on Resizable BAR. However, still experiencing the weird 0.56GHz cap on the CPU sometimes when booting up. The strange part is that when the PC boots up and the CPU is being limited, Task Manager states the system uptime is something random, so just today the system uptime was already at 2 hours and 20 minutes when I booted the computer up this morning after being shut off all night. :shrug:

sigher fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 5, 2021

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The same CPU issue carrying over to a new motherboard makes me suspicious of the CPU or some other piece of hardware.

Also, what is the make/model of the PSU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SilverStone Technology 800W SFX-L:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N6FB8NC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Case is a Lian Li 011D and requires SFX so my options were limited in regards to the PSU.

I'm worried about the CPU being hosed too... the problem is it was sourced via OfferUp with the help of a friend and I don't know if a warranty/RMA applies to me and sourcing another 5900X in the mean time, welp, I'll be SOL.