Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Problem description: Anytime I am downloading a large file through any client (Steam, GOG, Microsoft Store, etc.), usually a game, my desktop will lockup/crash at random. When the lockup happens, I am usually able to hover my mouse over applications/boxes and they will highlight, but double-clicking does nothing. I cannot open or close any applications, and eventually the desktop will just freeze entirely, but the mouse can still move around. The PC will not restart on its own, or give a blue screen or any warning/error message. The only way I can tell that it crashed is if I attempt to open any other application, or the download status itself has frozen. The timing of the lockup is random, sometimes it happens after 15 minutes, sometimes it happens after an hour or two.

Attempted fixes: I have made sure all drivers are up to date, and the computer sleep/power setting is set for 3 hours, but these issues always occur way before that time. I am not sure what else I can try to resolve the problem, but I go into my Event Viewer and the last event before I restart the PC is the following:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}

EDIT: so I've noticed in my Event Viewer that this specific event occurs without causing the PC to lock up. I'll keep it posted here though just in case it helps troubleshoot.

I cannot try connecting via LAN since I don't have a method for running a cable to this room currently.

Recent changes: This is a new PC (a couple months at this point), and the problem has been persistent since the beginning. All drivers are up to date, according to everything I can check.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

System specs: MSi B450M Bazooka Max WiFi motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 DDR4 8GBx2, Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 500GB, Samsung 860 Evo Sata SSD 1TB, Thermaltake Smart BX1 550W power supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure that you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

Also, make sure W10 is fully updated.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Zogo posted:

Make sure that you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

Also, make sure W10 is fully updated.

Motherboard BIOS is latest version, and I always keep W10 updated. Everything that I can think of is up to date, drivers and all.

I've been noticing recently that the issue also occurs anytime I'm using the internet, mostly when I'm watching videos or streaming music. These 2 events are the most recent right before it happened earlier today:

"The maximum file size for session "PerfDiag Logger" has been reached. As a result, events might be lost (not logged) to file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\WDI\LogFiles\ShutdownPerfDiagLogger.etl". The maximum files size is currently set to 20971520 bytes."

&

"Session "PerfDiag Logger" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188"

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try using onboard video temporarily and see if the issue continues.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Zogo posted:

I'd try using onboard video temporarily and see if the issue continues.

My BIOS does not have the option to enable onboard video, CPU does not have onboard GPU.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Some other things to try:

-Try a weaker GPU if you have one.
-Try a different SATA cable for that 1TB SSD.
-Another possibility would be malware causing this.

Also, the PSU you have is on the cheaper end. It's counterintuitive but there's a chance the PSU is underpowered and exhibiting itself in these lockups.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Thank you for the tips, I'll give them a shot when I can.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Alright, did some troubleshooting over the past couple days:

Swapped 1TB SSD's SATA Cable - no fix, PC locked up
Moved SATA cable to SATA port 2 on motherboard - no fix, PC locked up
Completely removed 1TB SSD from system - no fix, PC locked up
Turned off wifi - no fix (left mp4 video running as a test, came back to find it frozen and PC had locked up like usual)
Ran full virus scan - nothing found
Ran full disk scans - nothing found
Swapped GPU - no fix, PC locked up

I've noticed the lockup has evolved a bit, now the cursor will no longer move, desktop remains completely frozen on whatever was last displayed. No BSOD in any of these situations, and the PC does not restart itself. I have to hard reset it myself.

In regards to the PSU being underpowered, PCPartPicker has my setup rated at <300W, so I can't be anywhere close to its limits, right?

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 15, 2021

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try running memtest overnight at some point and see if it crashes or passes all the tests: http://memtest.org/

Even if it passes 100% you can still try using only one stick of RAM temporarily to make sure neither stick has an issue.

BisterdDave posted:

In regards to the PSU being underpowered, PCPartPicker has my setup rated at <300W, so I can't be anywhere close to its limits, right?

No, it should be good enough but it's not just about wattage. Different brands/models have different standards and qualities.

From the PC Building thread OP:

"It's recommended to get an 80+ Gold (or better) PSU with a 7 to 10 year warranty. While not an absolute sign of quality, long warranties are indicative of the manufacturers confidence in their product."

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903626

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
In regards to RAM, I did some research (of which I should have done before building the PC), and it seems as though the model memory sticks I have are not on the compatibility list for my motherboard. Both MSI and G.Skill sites do not list my model#, F4-3600C16D-16GVKC, on their lists. However, I do see that the 3200MHz model below the ones I have are compatible, model# F4-3200C16D-16GVKB. Would it be safe to assume that I can force the RAM speed down to 3200 (also disabling XAMP boost) for both sticks through my BIOS and that should clear any issues, if that is what's been causing the lockups? Have not ran any memory tests just yet.

Also, my BIOS is detecting the RAM correctly, listing it as G.Skill brand @ 16GB 3600MHz, so it's able to verify it correctly, but it is still incompatible at that speed?

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 15, 2021

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

In regards to RAM, I did some research (of which I should have done before building the PC), and it seems as though the model memory sticks I have are not on the compatibility list for my motherboard. Both MSI and G.Skill sites do not list my model#, F4-3600C16D-16GVKC, on their lists. However, I do see that the 3200MHz model below the ones I have are compatible, model# F4-3200C16D-16GVKB. Would it be safe to assume that I can force the RAM speed down to 3200 (also disabling XAMP boost) for both sticks through my BIOS and that should clear any issues, if that is what's been causing the lockups? Have not ran any memory tests just yet.

Also, my BIOS is detecting the RAM correctly, listing it as G.Skill brand @ 16GB 3600MHz, so it's able to verify it correctly, but it is still incompatible at that speed?

It's a case-by-case thing.

If it's not on the compatibility list there's a chance for running into different problems (not POSTing at all or locking up etc.) As far as slowing down the RAM it could help but I wouldn't assume it to.

Yes, incompatible RAM could display correctly in BIOS but still be a source of errors.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Zogo posted:

It's a case-by-case thing.

If it's not on the compatibility list there's a chance for running into different problems (not POSTing at all or locking up etc.) As far as slowing down the RAM it could help but I wouldn't assume it to.

Yes, incompatible RAM could display correctly in BIOS but still be a source of errors.

Appreciate the help so far. I just ran the PC with 1 stick in at a time, both times had the same lockups as before. Gonna order some compatible RAM and see how that goes.

It's such a weird issue, I've played several games for hours at a time each and never experienced any of the lockups during those times. Only when I'm at my homescreen doing something small like downloading or video/audio playback.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
New/compatible RAM installed (G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz) last night, and managed to download a couple games & watch videos with zero issues. Thought the problem was fixed, but then this morning I'm watching Youtube and the lockups start happening again (had it happen twice now within a 10 minute time-frame).

One thing I've noticed is the order of things when this issue occurs. The first sign is the audio will cutout completely. Video continues playing for a couple seconds, but then freezes. During that time I am able to minimize/maximize windows for a couple seconds, but then I am unable to do that shortly after. I can click around for a few more seconds, but then that locks up as well until the entire desktop is frozen, requiring a full reset.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Update: I had the task manager open while browsing a bit ago, and noticed the lockup process begin (sound cut off while video continued playing). I noticed the CPU usage had shot up to ~80%, and one of the culprits was the process cam_helper.exe. Looking into this, my PC monitoring software NZXT CAM has been causing the EXACT same issues to occur to others, more so with AMD systems. I've uninstalled NZXT for now, and will continue to see how things go.

edit/update: NZXT CAM was the culprit. Uninstalled the software and haven't had a single lockup since. Closing thread.

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

^^ edit: Well, that would be an easy fix if that's all it is.

If that doesn't help things:

I'd try doing a complete reinstall of W10 at this point unless someone has other ideas.

And if that doesn't help then it's looking more like a motherboard/PSU or even CPU issue. Really any piece of hardware could be causing a lockup. It's even possible the Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 500GB has an issue. And you're almost at the point where you have to painstakingly rule out each one.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 18, 2021