Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Do you enjoy frozen shaved meat? Dump trucks full of noodles? Brown sauces that come in opaque and unlabeled gallon jugs? Parenthetical cultural appropriation?
If so, it has been scientifically proven* that you will enjoy the warm embrace of the pending death that results in regular consumption of the pageant of flavor that is Great Khan’s Mongolian Festival.

Often imitated by lesser products, Great Khan’s was an innovator in the “smash what was heretofore considered unfathomable amounts of meat into a small bowl that is woefully incapable of holding this volume…plus noodles” market. I first discovered this caloric adventure in the food court of malls, lo those many years ago, in and around Southern California.

Given their proximity to Los Angeles metropolitan area, the inquisitive reader might feel compelled to ask whether I felt pressure to live a healthy lifestyle, inhibited, or shamed into squishing less meat (and two carrots precariously balanced on top to keep up appearances) into the bowl for cooking? Reader, I did not.

Upon providing remuneration for a bowl and access to the trough of sustenance, the adventurous glutton is given a free hand to attempt to replicate the Tower of Babel right there in the drat mall. Meat selections generally consist of what ostensibly was once beef, chicken, pork, and possibly lamb. Now, after pickup and extrusion of leftover bits laying around various low margin meat processing facilities, the “meat” is pressure formed, frozen, and sliced for easy cramming into your bowl. Real OGs know to grab an extra napkin at the register to press down the frozen meat layers to enable the piling on of yet more meat.

There’s often a wide variety of vegetables that are available to add to your bowl but, in a moment of clarity, you realize that you’re not here for the vegetables and move down the line to the noodles. Unlike this poor bastard:

Sometimes there are different kinds of noodles available, but as with the Highlander, there can only be one.

Hand your completed pile of unmitigated culinary lunacy to a cook and watch them grab two sticks and a plastic gallon jug that is eerily reminiscent of what bleach comes in full of a dark liquid to dump all over your creation as it goes on the grill. Furious stirring commences in a ceaseless and ultimately losing battle of not burning all your poo poo and making it stick to the grill surface which, incidentally, is remarkably similar to the heat production of a tokamak reactor.

They've changed their name, logo, and endured a significant reduction in the footprint of their franchise system, but it is of no concern to us. All of this and more can be endured for the carnal pleasure of consuming unlabeled chemicals in quantities that do not bear significant contemplation. We do this knowingly, thankfully, and without reservation because if there is death to be had, it should be had because of noodles.

*may not be scientifically proven.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I have seen people do absolutely insane things to stack as much shaved meat into that bowls as possible. We're talkin' 8 inch tall meat mountains.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Fartington Butts posted:

I have seen people do absolutely insane things to stack as much shaved meat into that bowls as possible. We're talkin' 8 inch tall meat mountains.

I salute this master of meat physics.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

lol good post op

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Twenty Four posted:

lol good post op

:tipshat:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I want to like these places but I’m somehow incapable of seasoning my plate of meat and noodles properly

9 out of 10 times I’d just rather get greasy Chinese takeout

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I want to like these places but I’m somehow incapable of seasoning my plate of meat and noodles properly

Seasoning yourself is a sure way to ruin. In the context of Great Khan's, the aforementioned house sauce from the random opaque jug is sufficient and helps ensure a low grease factor.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

yeah, I love a mongolian grill (it's Hu-Hot around here) in theory but it seems like I always gently caress it up, somehow. how? but it is fun once in a while.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

yeah, I love a mongolian grill (it's Hu-Hot around here) in theory but it seems like I always gently caress it up, somehow. how? but it is fun once in a while.

So many of the sauces are basically oil with interesting names that don't actually impart the flavor you're hoping for; what the gently caress does Diablo mean other than hot? It's that other bit that ruins everything.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The place closest to me put a sign up banning stacks too high which is a bummer. Also in the COVID era they switched to premade bowls and they definitely did not have anything that offered what I was looking for from them (giant bowl of meat and noodles in a savory and spicy sauce).

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Twenty Four posted:

lol good post op

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Rick posted:

The place closest to me put a sign up banning stacks too high which is a bummer. Also in the COVID era they switched to premade bowls and they definitely did not have anything that offered what I was looking for from them (giant bowl of meat and noodles in a savory and spicy sauce).

That would completely defeat the purpose. Also we know that COVID is not transmitted by surface contact very much so this makes even less sense and is sad.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
In the before times at my local chinese buffet there was a mongolian grill area. I would do noodles, shrimp, chicken, onion, pineapple

2x ladle of garlic brown sauce

5x spoonful of chili sambal

Very Spicy tangy sweet goodness. The steam coming off the plate would make other people in line cough sometimes

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

In the before times at my local chinese buffet there was a mongolian grill area. I would do noodles, shrimp, chicken, onion, pineapple

2x ladle of garlic brown sauce

5x spoonful of chili sambal

Very Spicy tangy sweet goodness. The steam coming off the plate would make other people in line cough sometimes

Ah yes, the high rear end burn quotient. I know it well.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jalapeno, Pineapple, Chicken noodles if one is feeling simple are a delight.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Tried bd's Mongolian Grill recently; sadness ensued.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I have never heard of this place, nor have I seen one, so it must not exist in my region :(

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Mongolian BBQ loving rules. Gets better the more you go as you'll get your preferred recipe down to a science. If you do it right you'll get about 3 full meals out of regular size too

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

loling @ the idea that there's any difference in flavor at all in ANY 'mongolian bbq' dish or that you've concocted a 'recipe'

I am 100% convinced a blind child with a shovel and bucket, told to run through the 'ingredients' trough would churn out exactly the same dish that any of us would carefully perusing and hand selecting our cherished and time honored favorites

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Beef City posted:

loling @ the idea that there's any difference in flavor at all in ANY 'mongolian bbq' dish or that you've concocted a 'recipe'

I am 100% convinced a blind child with a shovel and bucket, told to run through the 'ingredients' trough would churn out exactly the same dish that any of us would carefully perusing and hand selecting our cherished and time honored favorites

You act like it's a bad thing

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Big Beef City posted:

loling @ your dead tastebuds and lack of culinary creativity making you think everyone sucks at mongolian bbq as bad as you do

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

tetsuo posted:

loling @ your dead tastebuds and lack of culinary creativity making you think everyone sucks at mongolian bbq as bad as you do

It's teriyaki sauce and burnt salad bar fixings. "culinary creativity" doesn't really come into play, but being wowed by someone cooking it in front of you could be understandable if it wasn't so predictable. sux 2 b u.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
Walking into a restaurant and laughing crazily at all these loving IDIOTS

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

*Watches a man burn the tentacles of a hot dog octopus I personally selected and place it delicately next to almost two different colors of zucchini*
"This is culinary creativity.", I declare to my mother whom I intend to take to a 'grill your own steak house' for an equally expressive display of Art tomorrow evening.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
the best Mongolian bbq place I ever went to was not a chain. it was a piece of poo poo in a strip mall with a menu board you order little league hot dogs off of. they had a Chinese buffet inside that no one touched unless you wanted to grab some bad egg rolls. you want meat options? Freeze dried rolls of beef lamb or chicken, that’s all. maybe they had veggies, I don’t know, I was in loving high school and was not wasting my time with those, but if they did it was maybe some carrots or peppers and bell sprouts and that’s it. you’re here for meat and goddamn noodles. you want sauce choice? No. None. just good brown flat wok sauce. now scoop five heaping ladles of garlic water from the literal bucket at the end, and then slam ice cold pineapple from the other bucket after the cook station as soon as they hand you your piping hot bowl. the contrast of the lava hot food to the chilled pineapple was the goddamn Rosetta Stone to unlocking FLAVOR. toss in some ladies of the chili garlic sriracha paste at the very end if you’re feeling fancy. was it all you can eat? of course it goddamn was.

that bowl of pungent garlic and noodles and pineapples and bad meat haunts me to this day, it’s impossible for anything to recapture it. they’ve been closed for over a decade and I miss it every time I settle for some Genghis Grill bullshit.

rip han’s mongolian bbq, the only real one.

Nikumatic fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 26, 2021

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Nikumatic posted:

ladies of the chili garlic sriracha paste

what kind of loving cult is this, and can I be anointed in the paste?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Nikumatic posted:

the best Mongolian bbq place I ever went to was not a chain. it was a piece of poo poo in a strip mall with a menu board you order little league hot dogs off of. they had a Chinese buffet inside that no one touched unless you wanted to grab some bad egg rolls. you want meat options? Freeze dried rolls of beef lamb or chicken, that’s all. maybe they had veggies, I don’t know, I was in loving high school and was not wasting my time with those, but if they did it was maybe some carrots or peppers and bell sprouts and that’s it. you’re here for meat and goddamn noodles. you want sauce choice? No. None. just good brown flat wok sauce. now scoop five heaping ladles of garlic water from the literal bucket at the end, and then slam ice cold pineapple from the other bucket after the cook station as soon as they hand you your piping hot bowl. the contrast of the lava hot food to the chilled pineapple was the goddamn Rosetta Stone to unlocking FLAVOR. toss in some ladies of the chili garlic sriracha paste at the very end if you’re feeling fancy. was it all you can eat? of course it goddamn was.

that bowl of pungent garlic and noodles and pineapples and bad meat haunts me to this day, it’s impossible for anything to recapture it. they’ve been closed for over a decade and I miss it every time I settle for some Genghis Grill bullshit.

rip han’s mongolian bbq, the only real one.

Did you have some kind of mental break

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Big Beef City posted:

*Watches a man burn the tentacles of a hot dog octopus I personally selected and place it delicately next to almost two different colors of zucchini*
"This is culinary creativity.", I declare to my mother whom I intend to take to a 'grill your own steak house' for an equally expressive display of Art tomorrow evening.
you really don't understand what you're typing which makes these owns really bad please stop sucking at food and posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Chief McHeath posted:

what kind of loving cult is this, and can I be anointed in the paste?

need this in my life