Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Problem description: My PC suddenly started taking forever to start up - takes a few minutes to get past the BIOS splash screen, and then another 6-7 minutes to get past the Windows loading screen. No idea why, I have not done anything to it recently - no installs of suspect programs - though it has gone through regular windows updates. Running win10 off a Samsung 970 pro so the wait time makes no sense - used to start up in about 20 seconds. I can get into BIOS fine - it just takes a few minutes to register the key command - and when I get into Windows the system operates normally. I am writing this on the PC with the issue.

Secondary to this, my PC likes to just randomly restart itself. I spent months trying to figure out what or why to no avail, but it only seems to happen when the case is completely closed - so I began just leaving the back panel off and the power cables loose and the issue stopped. I closed up the case after cleaning it the other day and the issue returned. Checked all wires for seating and they're all fine, nothing loose.

Attempted fixes: Google gets me a lot of windows forums where people having issues with slow windows startup never get a resolution. Memtest gives no errors. Samsung drive magician says the SSD is fine. Windows system file checker says all system files are fine. No issues in event viewer, for either issue. Windows is completely updated, so are graphics drivers. I reset BIOS to default settings. Fast startup is not on but I’ve toggled it and it did not seem to matter.

Recent changes: Regular windows and NVIDIA drivers updates. Opened up a port for a Unifi security gateway to be able to access properly. Issue started in the last week, seemingly coinciding with a Windows update.

Operating system: Win10 Pro 64 bit

System specs:
i9-9900k
GIGABYTE Aorus Master motherboard
64gb Corsair dominator RAM (currently XMP turned off, so running stock at 2133mhz)
3080 RTX FE graphics card
Corsair AX1200i Power Supply - self-test is fine
Win10 Pro 64bit build 19042.928 running on Saumsung 970 pro 1tb SSD
Several other SSDs and harddrives for storage/games
Case is Lian Li O11D XL
All cooled on a custom loop - temps are about 60F under load for CPU and 50F or so on GPU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Can you try booting off a different drive as a test?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

Can you try booting off a different drive as a test?

I'll try making a windows boot drive I suppose, but when I reset my BIOS it tried booting off an SSD without an OS and still took a few minutes to give me the 'OS not found' error. Not sure it'd matter.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

skylined! posted:

Secondary to this, my PC likes to just randomly restart itself. I spent months trying to figure out what or why to no avail, but it only seems to happen when the case is completely closed - so I began just leaving the back panel off and the power cables loose and the issue stopped. I closed up the case after cleaning it the other day and the issue returned. Checked all wires for seating and they're all fine, nothing loose.

Make sure you don't have dust buildup anywhere in the case or too many cables blocking airflow.

skylined! posted:

Several other SSDs and harddrives for storage/games

I'd run CDI and see if any of them has an issue: https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/74801/CrystalDiskInfo8_12_0.exe/

Even if they all come back as being good I'd disconnect them all besides the OS drive temporarily and see if it makes a difference.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

skylined! posted:

I'll try making a windows boot drive I suppose, but when I reset my BIOS it tried booting off an SSD without an OS and still took a few minutes to give me the 'OS not found' error. Not sure it'd matter.

Yeah that should be instant.

I've had similar issues in the past when I had an SSD or HDD hooked up that had, for lack of a better term, a "short" somewhere in it. The drive worked fine once it came up, but the onboard controller was chattering or something with the mainboard, the system never worked right until I trashed that drive, even though every drive test showed it at 100%.

The only other time I saw symptoms like yours was a system that had one of those front-case USB and SD card boards, and it developed a hardware problem which was only resolved when I disconnected it permanently.

Oh, and one weirdo event where a system's keyboard wire got caught in the sliding drawer and frayed down causing a short.

It feels like hardware to me. Diagnostic utilities can only test certain things. I'd disconnect literally everything to start, and see if you can get that POST to happen in the few seconds it should, that should never take minutes like your original post describes.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah that should be instant.

I've had similar issues in the past when I had an SSD or HDD hooked up that had, for lack of a better term, a "short" somewhere in it. The drive worked fine once it came up, but the onboard controller was chattering or something with the mainboard, the system never worked right until I trashed that drive, even though every drive test showed it at 100%.

The only other time I saw symptoms like yours was a system that had one of those front-case USB and SD card boards, and it developed a hardware problem which was only resolved when I disconnected it permanently.

Oh, and one weirdo event where a system's keyboard wire got caught in the sliding drawer and frayed down causing a short.

It feels like hardware to me. Diagnostic utilities can only test certain things. I'd disconnect literally everything to start, and see if you can get that POST to happen in the few seconds it should, that should never take minutes like your original post describes.

So I stripped everything down - not easy because I have a hardline water cooling setup. I noticed that window wasn't showing my third m.2 nvme and lo and behold it seems dead, which was causing the slow boot times. I removed the unrecognized m.2 drive and my boot time is now almost instant - 2 seconds through BIOS and another 10 or so to windows. So there's that.

Now I am wondering if my random restart issues began around the same time I installed this nvme drive and if it is causing it, and just finally failed. Is it possible that random shutdown stressed the drive to fail?

Either way, my motherboard is sitting on a cardboard box on my desk with the CPU pegged at 90F and GPU at 74F because I don't have air coolers for either of them, lol. Not great for diagnosing the random shutdown issue.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 2, 2021

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

skylined! posted:

So I stripped everything down - not easy because I have a hardline water cooling setup. I noticed that window wasn't showing my third m.2 nvme and lo and behold it seems dead, which was causing the slow boot times. I removed the unrecognized m.2 drive and my boot time is now almost instant - 2 seconds through BIOS and another 10 or so to windows. So there's that.

Now I am wondering if my random restart issues began around the same time I installed this nvme drive and if it is causing it, and just finally failed. Is it possible that random shutdown stressed the drive to fail?

Either way, my motherboard is sitting on a cardboard box on my desk with the CPU pegged at 90F and GPU at 74F because I don't have air coolers for either of them, lol. Not great for diagnosing the random shutdown issue.

My initial instinct is to blame the bad nvme for the reboots, unless they're still happening. Bad controller boards on IO slots can manifest in myriad ways. If it's still doing the reboot routine with the drive removed, then I'd shift my assessment to agree with your hypothesis of the reboots causing the nvme failure, furthermore I'd conclude it was due to a surge from the power supply, since there would otherwise be no strain on the nvme simply from a reboot. If it's still randomly rebooting, replace the supply. If not, your removal of the bad drive was the fix.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

My initial instinct is to blame the bad nvme for the reboots, unless they're still happening. Bad controller boards on IO slots can manifest in myriad ways. If it's still doing the reboot routine with the drive removed, then I'd shift my assessment to agree with your hypothesis of the reboots causing the nvme failure, furthermore I'd conclude it was due to a surge from the power supply, since there would otherwise be no strain on the nvme simply from a reboot. If it's still randomly rebooting, replace the supply. If not, your removal of the bad drive was the fix.

I had several restarts while breadboxing the machine. Couldn’t tell if it was a temperature restart or the same issue - event log tells me nothing. I’m swapping in a 750w PSU that I know functions correctly and going to RMA this other one anyway.

Here’s hoping Corsair honors a second RMA on the same PSU (previous one didn’t pass the self test out of the box brand new, ax1200i).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So Silicon Power honored an RMA for my m.2 drive without question, and the 750w PSU I swapped back in has been working fine since my last post; though I am worried about being power-limited with an overclock on my 9900k and the 3080 FE, plus 8 LL120 fans, a D5 water pump, etc.

After some more research it appears the random restarting is a common issue with the ax1200i from Corsair - like, incredibly common. Corsair won't honor another RMA or different model replacement for me, as I do not have the original purchase receipt, so I am poo poo out of luck with $100 in custom cables for a PSU I can't use unless it is fixed. Has anyone had any luck taking a PSU to a repair shop for troubleshooting/fixing? One person on the Corsair forums believes it is a soldering issue, that when the solder warms under normal load it expands and causes an overcurrent protection shutdown or something. Another solution was to switch multi-rail OCP to single-rail in iCUE (since this is a digital monitor-capable PSU).

So I have the ax1200i hooked up to my PC as a secondary PSU with a jumper on the 24pin and the USB connector hooked up for monitoring and it is running fine - no trips or random restarts - though not under any load. Hooking up, say, just the motherboard to it to test (while the rest of the system is hooked up to the other PSU) shouldn't cause any problems, right? Or should I hook up just the GPU? I really don't want to have to chuck this thing into an e-waste bin or try to hock it for $20 on eBay or whatever...

edit after making a disgruntled post on the corsair reddit they're sending me an rm1000x after I return the broken PSU back to them. So that's good I guess. I should probably sell it.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 1, 2021