Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I live in a city, and my current apartment faces into a courtyard with almost no life in it, so my cats are bored as poo poo. Yes, I do play with them. I want to get a cat backpack to take them outside except:

1) The large, neurotic one will freak the gently caress out at the idea of being separated. I don't need a giant terror deuce on my rug, so I need something that will carry both.
2) The large one is, in fact, a big boy. Not fat, just large.
3) The other one is an obeast; she figured out how to self-vend the feeder I had a few years ago, and hasn't lost the weight. I can't feed them separately because see #1.

Unfortunately, it seems like cat backpacks max out at like 25 pounds, and combined they're probably 30-35. I'm not sure how comfortable they'd be in the same bag at the same time either. I've considered harnesses, but the big one would spend the whole time crying and wanting to go home, while the fat one would zip out the door to explore EVERYTHING, so that's not ideal. She would probably find a way to wriggle out of it too. It's just me right now so I can't share the load. I can carry them separately like I would with cat carriers for the vet, but I don't want them to think that I'm taking them to the vet, and that will probably get a little tiring to do. Should I just get two mesh bags and carry one in each hand? Create a custom cat wagon to use as their mobile oppression palace? Play bloodsports on TV? Any advice appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bredleder
Feb 25, 2013
I don't know if this particular product is available for your three cats--but have you considered grabbing a Pawhut-style pet carrier?
It's literally a baby carriage on wheels (but it's completely covered with mesh fabric and zippers to keep the animal from jumping out) and it might work because it'd look and feel nothing at all like a standard pet carrier (plus, you can probably cover the inside with a soft towel and spritz it cat nip to help them associate it with good vibes before taking them out).

If you can't find one that's big enough for your three katzenkinders, you can also get a transport box (like this thing: https://www.wayfair.co.uk/pets/pdp/pawhut-transportbox-u003023891.html ) and slowly wheel it to a park on your bike (and make sure to do it at a really quiet time like an early Sunday morning or something). I know that cats don't like sudden changes, but it might do some good to start by going someplace nearby (maybe a bench, and then sit back and toss some bread to bring some birds around for your cats to watch) and then head right back (and give your three cats some treats afterwards). Then gradually take them further and further to other places.

Maybe your cats might prefer the blood sport on TV but it might be a good idea to try (but do test out the zippers first before taking it out. Your cats will be testing out the openings with their claws and teeth, so if the zipper's too easy for them to rip open--best to find out when you're still indoors. I had to buy a new cat carrier bag for my void-cat and we realised that we had to buy those security zipper-clips (the kind you find in an airport) because she had figured out how to move the zippers apart with her claws).