Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My stepfather is hiring an employee to assist my mother, who has severe parkinsons. He lives in san francisco. He needs to pay this employee, remit money to the state for employment taxes, workers comp and unemployment insurance deductions etc., generate a W2 annually, and he needs software to do it. He's in his 70s but is decently computer savvy - trades stocks, has been making spreadsheets since the 1980s, has a blog, etc.

I know ADP can do all this but are they actually good, or just ubiquitous? Overkill for someone who will only ever have one employee? Difficult to get started? Is there a better option?

A little googling mentions Gusto, OnPay, Paychex, SurePayroll, Wave, and some others as other options. Any of you have experience with any of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Why on earth can't he hire an agency? Home health aid companies are all over the place. Is there a particular reason he needs to directly hire a person? Those agencies will provide anything from essentially a babysitter to 24/7 skilled nursing to hospice.

If it's an issue if hiring a specific person (ie your sister or something) , then you can go to the agency and tell them to hire that person and sign them to your mother.

Otherwise I have no idea the answer to your question.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 11, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes, we've explored the agency path extensively: they cost a lot more per hour, vs. hiring independently, in San Francisco. Even after accounting for the overhead of employment costs.

Actually though based on our last conversation I think he's hiring on 1099 rather than employee basis, which would avoid employment taxes, but I'm not sure. I just know he was asking about software.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, we've explored the agency path extensively: they cost a lot more per hour, vs. hiring independently, in San Francisco. Even after accounting for the overhead of employment costs.

Actually though based on our last conversation I think he's hiring on 1099 rather than employee basis, which would avoid employment taxes, but I'm not sure. I just know he was asking about software.

That's a pretty important distinction. If he is just hiring an independent contractor ("hiring on a 1099") then you don't have payroll filings or remittances. He just needs to annual file a 1099 in January/February of every year to report what he's been paying the individual.

That is probably the easiest route. He is going to have a difficult time finding someone willing to handle the payroll filings for one employee for a reasonable fee. That said, if he ends up going the employee route, he should be able to handle it himself using one of the products you listed below. The paychex online platform looks good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ok so, not 1099 basis, they're doing proper employee. I talked to my sister - this was necessary to get a longer commitment from someone, rather than with an agency where they can swap out their worker any time. My mom has trust issues and needs a consistent caretaker. Also the agencies won't send someone who can do medication or medical work. I dunno, there's compexities here that I wasn't fully informed about.

It sounds like my stepdad is gonna go with Paychex.