Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Futur wars had one where you had to try use a random newspaper vendor twice because the first time nothing happened and the second time it dropped an endgame needed item lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

mysterious loyall X posted:

More of an early design trope that roberta williams loved for some reason. Their best games like the good qfgs, Gabriel knight 1-2 (i never played 3), space quest 3, conquest of the longbow etc didnt really pull that crap. Altho i do tend to enjoy lucasarts games more newayz.

space quest 4 had a missable slime when escaping the beginning area that would block you forever

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
that said i loving loved sierra games and would buy them whenever they came out

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

space quest 4 had a missable slime when escaping the beginning area that would block you forever

I only like number 3

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I never liked Sierra style games because I hate dying

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Stay away from this game called Dark Souls then. Dunno if you heard of it but let's just say...you WILL die.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

Stay away from this game called Dark Souls then. Dunno if you heard of it but let's just say...you WILL die.

maybe you will

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kongming posted:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

*praying for trying to jack off to come in and find the famous post about putting your controller down at an angle and beating dark souls while you go grab a snack*

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Sorry but gently caress Gabriel Knight 3.

But Kings Quest 5 is the business even if it has multiple places that you can miss something and get to the end of the game and be hosed

There's an item in the first 5 mins that if you miss you are hosed.

If you enter a screen from the wrong direction an action doesn't trigger but doesn't tell you so you are hosed.

If you don't go pixel hunting with a hook in the jail cell for a block of cheese you cant beat the game.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Myst 3 however is probably one of the best adventure games and has one of the best antagonists in a game ever imo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Myst 3 however is probably one of the best adventure games and has one of the best antagonists in a game ever imo.

brad dourif hamming it up and hissing "do you know what they did atrussssss? Your ssssssonsssss? ftw. I love the myst games.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

brad dourif hamming it up and hissing "do you know what they did atrussssss? Your ssssssonsssss? ftw. I love the myst games.

:hmmyes:

I have a chronicle of my playthroughs of all the Myst games in a notebook somewhere round my house. Need to dig that out at some point.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

:hmmyes:

I have a chronicle of my playthroughs of all the Myst games in a notebook somewhere round my house. Need to dig that out at some point.

yeah, I still have the notebook I used to take notes on riven wayy wayyyy back.

I should play obduction one of these days. I bought it to stream for a CF fundraiser and never picked it up after the fundraiser ended

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i played myst and riven relatively recently (4 years ago-ish) and i played it through without looking anything up.

when myst came out originally i was just a kid so i couldnt really figure it out.

anyways, one day someone was at my house and asked for a piece of paper and i grabbed a notebook off a bookshelf and gave it to them. i didnt realize it was my myst/riven notebook. they asked me if i ever had a mental breakdown.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i played myst and riven relatively recently (4 years ago-ish) and i played it through without looking anything up.

when myst came out originally i was just a kid so i couldnt really figure it out.

anyways, one day someone was at my house and asked for a piece of paper and i grabbed a notebook off a bookshelf and gave it to them. i didnt realize it was my myst/riven notebook. they asked me if i ever had a mental breakdown.

I watched my wife play Myst a few years ago and she was playing on her laptop without sound on. She struggled with the minecart puzzle for about 3 hours before I caved and told her it's a sound puzzle

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

as a kid I did the minecart puzzle through pure trial and error lmao.

pretty sure I could play through 4 or uru and have to solve the puzzles again, I've forgotten most of them. I'd probably also get stuck in Edanna in 3 because all the times I got stuck there were just places I couldn't see where the paths were.

I'll also never forget the uru puzzle that makes you stand in a room for like 40 minutes and wait.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

pretty sure I could play through 4 or uru and have to solve the puzzles again, I've forgotten most of them. I'd probably also get stuck in Edanna in 3 because all the times I got stuck there were just places I couldn't see where the paths were.

I'll also never forget the uru puzzle that makes you stand in a room for like 40 minutes and wait.

I think I can still speedrun 3

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

CyberPingu posted:

I watched my wife play Myst a few years ago and she was playing on her laptop without sound on. She struggled with the minecart puzzle for about 3 hours before I caved and told her it's a sound puzzle

i played it with my gf on my tv in the living room with the full home theatre setup going and it was impossible to not to pick up all the sound clues because they were so loud. dont think i would've picked it up on some tinny laptop speakers, though.

then again when the game was made it was gonna be on a desktop with some altec lansing speakers or some poo poo

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Thimbleweed park was a pretty good modern successor to maniac mansion, but the ending was some real horseshit

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Myst was cool. Sound puzzles are fail tho. Possibly the only style of puzzle thats worse than "the solution is a pop culture ref"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
myst blows and riven is a perfect game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

queuing a permaban for daring to insult myst.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pyst.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I've mentioned it before but the best uru puzzle is the one where you come across a stuck bridge so instead of like, repairing the winch or finding a way around, you just do a running jump kick at it to knock it down.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fungah! posted:

*praying for trying to jack off to come in and find the famous post about putting your controller down at an angle and beating dark souls while you go grab a snack*

trying to jack off posted:

ive technically beaten dark souls but thats because my controller wasnt calibrated properly so when i started the game my character walked forward by themselves, i started the game then had to go answer the phone and by the time i got back the credits were rolling

also lol at this op https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753149 classic

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

extremebuff posted:

I will be streaming myself playing Dark Souls 1 again, I'll be drunk on wine and just you know, talk poo poo haha. twitch.com/ElPuto

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Bicyclops posted:

queuing a permaban for daring to insult myst.

thank you

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao ty

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mysterious loyall X posted:

More of an early design trope that roberta williams loved for some reason. Their best games like the good qfgs, Gabriel knight 1-2 (i never played 3), space quest 3, conquest of the longbow etc didnt really pull that crap. Altho i do tend to enjoy lucasarts games more newayz.

Space Quest II has the Xenomorph alien that chases you around and then french kisses you when it catches you. There's no immediate consequence but at some point later (I think it was tracked in real time, maybe an hour? Definitely long enough for you to not have a backup save) a baby alien bursts out of your chest and you die. I beat all the space quest games as a kid except for that one because I was so pissed off

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

goferchan posted:

Space Quest II has the Xenomorph alien that chases you around and then french kisses you when it catches you. There's no immediate consequence but at some point later (I think it was tracked in real time, maybe an hour? Definitely long enough for you to not have a backup save) a baby alien bursts out of your chest and you die. I beat all the space quest games as a kid except for that one because I was so pissed off

Yeah that's a classic Sierra "multiple uses for an item but only one will allow you to progress but you won't find out until hours later" schtick

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Kongming posted:

Dark Souls where you don't know if the skeleton attack actually killed you or not for an hour

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

:tipshat: thank god i can remember almost every post made on this forum in exact detail like the John Romero of imp zone (no affiliation to new imp zone poster John Romero, named after the legendary 90s game designer John Romero)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Joan posted:

Dark Souls where you don't know if the skeleton attack actually killed you or not for an hour

I see you are familiar with PvP in Dark Souls