Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

"During the Break," segment 1:

...so the talent agent has had enough. he wipes the muck off of his face --and as a reminder, we're talking class-A biohazard here. not just the normal bodily fluids but some of the ones you don't normally assume come from a person with a bit of fermentation to boot-- but he wipes his face off and says "well, that's a hell of an act-- what do you call it?" and the father says "nineteen kids and counting."

[indignant]
...of course it's topical humor, it'll make even less sense in reruns

hey byob. i strongly believe that everybody has one thing that they're *really* good at, and that self-actualization is achieved when a person figures out what that is and is able to do it.

given how much of a big ole goober y'all know me to be, it should come as no surprise to y'uns that game shows are that thing for me. and i have been trying to make it happen for the better part of 20 years.

the entire process up to now always put me in mind of an old carl sagan quote: "if you wanna make an apple pie, first invent the universe." being a child of appalachia, opportunity is (and has always been) painfully non-existent, especially in a creative field, and even more especially for someone with no actual production experience. so everything up until this point has been an absolute slog of false starts, financial emergencies, major depressive disorder, and the general sort of heavy-duty cosmic dues that one assumes must be paid in order to make one's art.

the game itself is a dinky little free-association quiz called "keep talking." outburst with chess clocks is the elevator pitch, but the plan for the show is that i'd include goofy little intersteritials, "during the break" segments where i get in bizarre convos with someone just off-camera, whatever i think would help pad the show out in case the quiz part runs a little shorter than I originally intended. also in case the quiz itself is a little more boring than how it works out in my head.

so yeah. things have rolled to a boil again, and i think i can finally call this attempt #8. i figured i'd include y'all along in the process.

i'm coming off a break @ work, but i'll tell you a little more about the game, what i've been up to so far, and what i still have to do a little later on today.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

this is very good

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I support this

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

biosterous

oh poo poo i remember that thread! this is exciting

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
:f5:

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

cold open idea (from somewhere in the middle of the stack)

[directly ripping off Madness' One Step Beyond, but in a lou costello/patterson, nj voice]

HEY YOU! Don't watch dat, watch dis! Dis is the heavy-heavy monster quiz, the nastiest quiz der is!

So if you're heading out in the rain,
and someone asks you to explain,
well listen, buster, you betta start to use dat brain

to the rockingist, rock-steady refrain of--

[instantly switching to a dull monotone]

--a middle-aged, heternormative-looking-enough white dude trying to disguise a game show vanity project as an artistic statement even though we all know this diversion is part of mankind's continued, willing swim into the deadly whirlpool of climate catastrophe all because a few people with names and addresses aren't rich enough.

[beat or two]

..Yes, sure, okay, i will lighten up a little. i'm clayton cardell, and even though my depression counselor has regretted encouraging me, let's keep talking...

"keep talking" is played by three contestants over six rounds. They start out with one minute's worth of talk time and "the warmup:" a nice, simple, multiple choice quiz. pick a word off the board, get four possible answers and a question that has the word you picked in it. get it wrong, control passes to your right (who gets to pick from the remaining choices). get it right, you get to pick another question. every fourth question comes with a bonus fifteen seconds added to your clock for a right answer.

"the word on the street" -- the first one's always free, but from here on in, the players are talking on their own time. 3rd place picks one of three screen shots from short videos, with the question to follow. each question is open-ended, with five answers randomly pre-selected. each player's clock will count down as they give answers and attempt to steal, and saying one of those answers will give you an extra fifteen seconds. players can stop any time they like, any answers left uncovered are offered to the other players (starting with the player currently 3rd), with their clocks running until they stop.

(the original idea --and you can tell this was something from the before-times-- was that i'd do some voxpop interviews with anybody willing to take a few minutes and suggest a topic for the players. a little profile about each of the three interviewees would be provided [e.g. first name, age, occupation], to give you a rough idea of what they may ask you. e.g. a retired mechanic asking you to name five parts of an engine that require electricity, a librarian would ask for five categories listed in the dewey decimal system, etc. Currently, the focus has been on brief clips sourced from youtube, but i may switch back over to that if this show takes off)

"the mess" -- see, now here's where we flip it on them: the conceit is that being a clumsy goddamed oaf, i tripped on my way into the studio and scattered all of the cards that held words relating to some topics. coincidentally this frequent accident only manages to mix up cards corresponding to precisely just three topics up in an incredibly odd and some would say increasingly impossible manner (given our knowledge of physics, the law of averages, and ways the human body can gently caress up). regardless, there's 15 words related three hidden topics, and you have to figure out what those topics are. saying the right topic will flip one of the cards and color-code/highlight every clue that belongs to it. as this may take a little longer for the players, good answers are worth an extra 30 seconds each.

"the slideshow" -- if reruns of the old black-and-white sitcoms on MeTV are any indication, boomer's parents get really angry at one thing (well, three things, considering their kids being gay or dating black people but if you think i'm making a game show around those ideas you can kiss my rear end) is their neighbors dragging them over to their place to see all of their boring-rear end vacation photos much in the same way I rage against someone having the audacity to call my cell phone instead of texting like everybody else. somehow i'm pretty sure the idea of demonstrating what you know about the slideshow as a means of ending it quicker has to make the ghost of someone's great- or great-grandpa happy so here's to you, great-gamp archibald ephram cardell.

each player gets their choice of three slideshows of ten images each, all with a common theme (but they get nothing more than a cryptically worded title that may or may not have anything to do with the pictures because sometimes i feel like an absolute bastard like that). If, in saying what you see, you mention what it is i'm looking for, you get ten seconds for each successful ID. get stuck on one, you can pass, but that leaves it open for the other players to steal (starting with last place). also-- any answers left of the table will have to be pulled from your memory, as everybody only gets to see the pictures once.

"the groupthink" -- hey, remember that one news event? it's worth 150 seconds if you can. get shown some b-roll footage of a recent event (e.g. a white ford bronco in a slow chase down the LA freeway), then mention as many details as you can relating to the event in the hopes that you hit on the pre-determined details (e.g. "oj simpson," "nicole brown," "1994," "murder," and "al cowlings"). first is worth 10 seconds, the second would be worth 20, etc. this is the part of the game where you really have to think if spending that couple of extra seconds would be worth it to keep your opponents from potentially grabbing the 40- or 50-second answers you left on the table. Last round of regular play -- the contestant with the most time gets the automatic invitation to the next episode, 2nd & 3rd play in the last round.

"the slugout" -- two people walk into this round, but one person will keep on walking all the way home. Questions like in the second round, five answers each. Player with the shorter clock leads off for each question. This time, matching one of the pre-determined answers knocks twenty seconds off of the other player's clock. any answers left on the table and the other player can whittle time off the first player's clock. lather, rinse, repeat until somebody's clock hits zero.

I did mention a tournament format to it -- were this a full season, 30 games would each have one new contestant, but in the last 10 games ("the post-season"), whoever is still playing coming into it will be joined by the player with the 10th-most number of appearances (ties broken by # of games where the player finished first), then whoever leaves is replaced by the 8th and so on until the season finale when the most-frequent player takes on whoever's left, with 1st and 2nd playing the slugout for the trophy.

and that's the show. not original, but there's enough going on to keep things pretty active and lively -- it's like jeopardy and airplane: wait long enough and more stuff will be there immediately.

coming up after the other side of this break, we'll look at the progress made so far and how far there is left to go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRj43jHmBbo

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 3, 2021

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
right so enough with the effortposting.

going to the studio this weekend in order to pay the man running it. $550 gets me a 30x20x12 white cyclorama and the space around it for 12 hours. at the very least, i'm comfortable enough where things are going that I at least want to say i've booked a studio.

the plan tonight is to do a little more graphic designing (and when you see how i got this planned out you'll wish i'd've done a little more), and i'll talk a little more on that when i get home from work.

----------------

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I would definitely watch this show op

StupidSexyMothman

wanna play this game

wanna watch this game

wanna host this game

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
the goon game show is one of my beloved goon memories and i'm glad that it's still being worked on. cheers OP

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

biosterous posted:

oh poo poo i remember that thread! this is exciting

blaise rascal posted:

the goon game show is one of my beloved goon memories and i'm glad that it's still being worked on. cheers OP

yeah, i'm sorry i fell off updating that -- the equipment is safely ensconced in storage, software still to be redeveloped.

oldskool posted:

wanna play this game

wanna watch this game

wanna host this game

i do plan on bringing in guest hosts, so lemme check back with you once i get plat back up and running (thursday).

Luvcow posted:

I would definitely watch this show op

nut posted:

this is very good

Robert William posted:

I support this

thanks, y'all. there's a lot i'd like to talk about as far as what I'd *like* to do, but it'd be better if i talked about what i've done.

as a matter of fact, progress has been slow-moving but it's a new strategy -- working within my attention span instead of spiting it. go until i get bored with that particular task, then pick up another element that needs work until i'm bored with that, etc. at least this way, forward momentum is still preserved.

what i've done:
  • wrote questions (and quite a few. still not anywhere near ready but more than what i started with)
  • started drafting graphics
  • measured for set pieces.

those last two items are semi-related; set is gonna look... kinda bad. well, no kinda to it, it's gonna look fairly empty. i mean, yeah, part of that is because it makes it that much easier to clean up afterwards and means i don't have to haul as much crap around, but there's also a conscious aesthetic decision going on with it as well. so maybe it makes things a little harder because there's not much of a set, good material and good execution can make up for a shoddy presentation.

for now, tho, it's gonna be a black cyclorama, black set pieces, black screens. on one hand, it'd be the first game show with a default night mode, and on the other, it's a pilot series and there have been crappier, lower-effort pilots throughout history. my operating philosophy is that if you gotta go cheap, make it look like you planned it that way.

anyway, i'mma go wait for my ride, but i hope to have some pictures soon.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 2, 2021

----------------

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

"during the break" segment. short

[visibly seen putting a water pipe back under my lectern]

"how high am i? five foot nine, why?"

because i feel some traditions of game show hosts should continue, like sneaking a smoke on set during a stop-tape.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 25, 2021

----------------

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
update over the weekend: been building.

1) the actual presentation that will be running the game board. so, yeah, powerpoint. but i've messed around with powerpoint enough to add a few interactive elements.

this is going to be a separate system than what I'm building for the scoreboards -- the plan for that is to have three smaller monitors hooked up, each running their own full-screen timer (three instances of VCL, three separate movie files, add/subtracting time w/ scanning back/ahead as needed).

2) I've also started hooking up the sfx equipment -- got a couple of 120v solenoid-driven bells hooked up to a relay module hooked up to an arduino. i think i have the main connections, save one more button. coding the arduino isn't too complicated, just telling it to set one pin (to the relay module) high when a pin from the button reads low.

(and by the way, if you ever wanted a big red button of your own, they're made by eaton #FAK-R/KC11/I. or just any sort of mushroom foot/palm switch)

i'll post some screenshots when i get home from work today.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 31, 2021

----------------

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, okay, so life keeps happening and right now it's the seasonal sinus headaches that have pretty much robbed me of my concentration. but that's okay, because i think i may be through the worst of it (at least until the next storm is a couple of days from rolling in).

quote:

running joke idea:

occasionally glancing over at a break-in-case-of-emergency box with an envelope inside it. the box is labeled "the joke that kills the show." periodically the camera will switch between the box and the beads of sweat forming on my brow while tense music plays

but once i'm properly lit i'm gonna figure out how to take screenshots in a mac.

----------------

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood
i loved your first thread and i'm going to love this one. good luck buddy!

crimes

nut

are there gonna be buzzers?

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i loved your first thread and i'm going to love this one. good luck buddy!

thank you, i will need it. best off-hand estimation is that i'm ~4 months away from recording.

nut posted:

are there gonna be buzzers?

kinda. i mean, the contestants won't have em, but the judges get them -- mainly they'll interrupt me to bust my chops.

quote:

"so... didja write that question yourself or did you have someone help you copy that off a trivial pursuit card?"

"oh come on, i copied that question just fine on my own."

also, theme song has been secured.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 3, 2021

----------------

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

at an undoubtedly high point in his career, the late, "great one" jackie gleason hosted a game show called "you're in the picture." that first episode was so awful, he spent the entire second episode doing nothing but apologizing for that first’un.

i just thought i'd mention that to try and set expectations here. if you think i spent all this time writing these questions just to throw them away, you’re outta your ever-lovin mind. goddamnit, I came here to do a game show. any apologizing i do will more than likely be out of psychological compulsion due to unresolved trauma than any actual remorse, but they won't get in the way of the material.

[beat]

...i’ve lost all sense of direction on this project. anyway, i'm clayton cardell -- y'all can call me 'biodegradable' on account i break down easy, but let’s keep talking...

so i mentioned a theme song: musician/composer jacob mann put together a band a couple of years ago with some folks from moonchild and knower (among others). "don't fly spirit" was one of the songs that resulted from that. and it's an absolute loving banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI0TleUSIMk

the plan is for a craig ferguson-structrued* open -- i walk onto the shot, spout some bullshit for forty-five seconds, end up in front of the game board, step outta the way for the logo to slide in as the song's hook hits that trombone note, and zoom in on the game board with the first segment chromakeyed in** .

fig 1: graphic design is my passion. the more i've looked at this the more i think the text ain't in a title-safe area

thought i'd try to devote some time towards question-writing. i'll show you some samples as i get poo poo loaded into the presentation but i am way behind schedule on these -- which is odd because i ain't operating on any kind of set schedule for this. set-wise i'm short the scoreboards and the stand for the game board, still can't figure out what fedex did with the tripods i ordered, and some point i need to start making sure i've got all the sound equipment together.

but yeah, progress is still coming along.

*well, such that it was.

**(the opposite of how old episodes of wheel of fortune would end by zooming out on an overhead shot of the wheel, with pat and vanna InSiDe ThE WhEeL as it was spinning, but cooler, and with a half-unhinged, homely-looking bisexual instead of a CHUD whose performance only improves the more he makes it clear how little he wants to be there)

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 11, 2021

----------------

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood
buddy i am real curious to see what this ends up becoming, ty for keeping us updated

crimes

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

buddy i am real curious to see what this ends up becoming, ty for keeping us updated

comrade if it's gonna be like anything else i do in life, it'll be a goddamned mess.

whether this turns out to be a lightning-in-a-bottle success or a pony-in-a-jar trainwreck, i just don't wanna be boring. ernie kovacs was right, "nothing in moderation"

----------------

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood
you've inspired me to reach out to my own local access TV station to ask about getting a weekly poetry show going. the central gimmick is we'll have a live band playing along with the poetry. that way. it's not boring as poo poo.

crimes

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

hey all, just wanted to add something to that bit i opened with last time -- the thing about jackie gleason and his half-hour apology the following week? yeah, not the first time that's happened, and there's been a lot worse. a few years back tucker carlson hosted six episodes of a prime time game for CBS called 'do you trust me?'

yeah, it wasn't anything special. it was the prisoners dilemma, we were all sick of it, whatever. reason why you may not remember ever seeing that one is that allegedly tucker's performance was so bad that CBS felt they would have saved more money by just never letting the shows air.

i didn't bring that up in order make any comparison between me and tucker carlson, other than share a chuckle over the idea that the modern american game show carries a more-stringent ethical standard than modern american journalism.
[game show announcer stereotype voice] that's right, tuck, we'll fly both you and the horse you rode in on round-trip airfare straight to hell. it's a thirty minute holding pattern over LAX but you get the idea

[back to normal]meanwhile, we got a show to do here. i'm clayton cardell: only child and still ain't the favorite, but that's all right we'll keep talking..."

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

you've inspired me to reach out to my own local access TV station to ask about getting a weekly poetry show going. the central gimmick is we'll have a live band playing along with the poetry. that way. it's not boring as poo poo.

:sickos:

i am as serious as a heart attack when i say i wanna watch that.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 23, 2021

----------------

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

i know what you're thinking: hey clayton, i didn't think the amish had much use for game shows -- and you'd be right, mostly. 'art thou english?' was a minor hit that toured the northeast in the 1980s with a panel of amish elders trying to identify mystery guests based on their reactions to ethical and moral quandries. monty hall was really hoping it would have lead to a revival of 'your first impression' but sadly it just wasn't meant to be.

[attention drawn by someone off-camera]hrm? oh.

i've just been informed that apparently that was a dream i had one time. this covid lockdown got me all screwed up...

So I stopped by the studio last night, got a couple of reference shots. Dude running it seemed like an all right guy, suggesting layouts and shots as I shared my notes with him. Drop covers on the floor are on account of water damage from the fire dept. ("poo poo, that's perfect, this game's gonna be a little loving warped to begin with!")

Paid part of the studio fee, asked a few questions about the equipment he rents out, cracked the same jokes I always use whenever I meet someone the first time.

Gonna work on electronics when I get home. Will post pictures of that later tonight.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 23, 2021

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you know, this has been incredibly rude of me -- i mean, i'm making this show for y'all and the least i could do is ask y'all what you'd like to see in it.

i mean, i wanna make y'all laugh, so while i ain't asking you to make the jokes for me, do any of the ideas sound good? bad? am i trying to do too much at once (don't answer that)?

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood
make people act out movies they haven't seen but are familiar with due to pop culture osmosis

crimes

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
worked on my question output this weekend, and it just occurred to me that i haven't told y'all about the question database:

built something up through obvibase -- gonna make it shareable (hell, gonna make even the raw footage i shoot from this available. gonna open source this game idea and make everything available, even to the rasturbated PDFs i use for the oversized foamboard headshots of people that resemble bob stewart, monty hall, ken ober, nipsey russell, burt convy, etc for the set background). I have a separate, individual sheet for each round, individual questions ID'd, categorized (so i don't use too many of one subject in a game), with a checkbox to track whether or not i've used that question (as well as which episode it did get used for).

finally stopped obsessing over the process of getting questions built and started building them. here's the most-recent inventory of what i have / what i need for each round:

The Warmup (23/80)
The Shitpost* (5/15)
The Mess (29/45)
The Listicle* (20/150)
The Memory Hole* (3/15)
The Slugout (11/75)

*New round names. If it's gonna be about the internet, for an audience of the internet, then might as well make it more web 3.7 friendly or whatever standard we're up to now.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

make people act out movies they haven't seen but are familiar with due to pop culture osmosis

...i like it. 31 Questions, an independent aussie production a few years back, had an entire round built on that premise. They reenact a scene, and you have to supply the next line when everybody turns to look at you.

least, that's how i remember it -- at work so can't access youtube rn.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 5, 2021

----------------

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
one of the biggest obstacles so far has been the lack of a dedicated workspace. every time i go to setup a computer to do graphics work, etc, includes a extra half-hour of hauling stuff out, hooking it up, then tearing it down and packing stuff away afterwards.

my attention deficit hide can't deal with that, so i found a corner of the den and set up a slightly more-permanent location.

the tripods i had ordered and couldn't track down finally got here this week. they're too short, but that's all right, i can make this work.

more info to come, but i did want to give y'all an update.

----------------

Manifisto

this is v neat

ty nesamdoom!

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

one of the biggest obstacles so far has been the lack of a dedicated workspace. every time i go to setup a computer to do graphics work, etc, includes a extra half-hour of hauling stuff out, hooking it up, then tearing it down and packing stuff away afterwards.

my attention deficit hide can't deal with that, so i found a corner of the den and set up a slightly more-permanent location.

the tripods i had ordered and couldn't track down finally got here this week. they're too short, but that's all right, i can make this work.

more info to come, but i did want to give y'all an update.

if this gets too huge for your house you might be able to work something out with a local theater, community access tv station, or makerspace. that would also be a good way to start developing a local community of support, because this is cool and you're cool and you deserve to be celebrated.

crimes

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey gang, in case you're wondering what's been going on, life happened again as it does every now and then. this time it was a transmission going out, a laptop going kaput, and having to find a new job. not in that order, but they all happened at roughly the same time. thankfully, things are back to a point where i can start focusing back on the show.

so at least there's more questions being written. ain't had a chance to count up how many but it's been a bit. still owe y'all pictures of the sfx rig.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

if this gets too huge for your house you might be able to work something out with a local theater, community access tv station, or makerspace. that would also be a good way to start developing a local community of support, because this is cool and you're cool and you deserve to be celebrated.

i'm talking about just having a flat surface to leave a computer other than a dining room table. i ain't even to the point of trying to block out cameras for the set yet. but what you said is a damned good idea --

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

hey gang, in case you're wondering what's been going on, life happened again as it does every now and then. this time it was a transmission going out, a laptop going kaput, and having to find a new job. not in that order, but they all happened at roughly the same time. thankfully, things are back to a point where i can start focusing back on the show.

so at least there's more questions being written. ain't had a chance to count up how many but it's been a bit. still owe y'all pictures of the sfx rig.

i'm talking about just having a flat surface to leave a computer other than a dining room table. i ain't even to the point of trying to block out cameras for the set yet. but what you said is a damned good idea --

I write for an educational youtube series, if you need help thinking of questions I can absolutely help with research: maltpoet@gmail.com (since I'm browsing the forums less and less)

there's going to be a huge demand for in-person entertainment the minute it's widely safe to go outside again and I think you're poised to do something really cool.

crimes

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

"You know, every so often I get emails asking how I write the jokes we use on this program-- which is a nice change of pace because we get a lot more messages asking how come we don't. That's why in order to distract myself from the idea that this show may be collapsing as I record it, I'll spend a few minutes answering questions left unanswered by other people in a segment called 'Dear Dickhead'"

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I write for an educational youtube series, if you need help thinking of questions I can absolutely help with research: maltpoet@gmail.com (since I'm browsing the forums less and less)

there's going to be a huge demand for in-person entertainment the minute it's widely safe to go outside again and I think you're poised to do something really cool.

the email should be reaching you from my gmail account any second now. and thank you very much :)

----------------

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
right, so i officially have finished the material for one round. but it's enough of the shitpost to cover five shows, with a few alternate questions added in case there might be some issues, technical or editorial.

five more to go. and soon to be four, once i punch around for news clips for the memory hole.

maybe.

no promises.

and i know i'd add something funny here to each of my posts, but i got nothing today. but i did want to bump this thread with some actual accomplishments.

----------------

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

worked on my question output this weekend, and it just occurred to me that i haven't told y'all about the question database:

built something up through obvibase -- gonna make it shareable (hell, gonna make even the raw footage i shoot from this available. gonna open source this game idea and make everything available, even to the rasturbated PDFs i use for the oversized foamboard headshots of people that resemble bob stewart, monty hall, ken ober, nipsey russell, burt convy, etc for the set background). I have a separate, individual sheet for each round, individual questions ID'd, categorized (so i don't use too many of one subject in a game), with a checkbox to track whether or not i've used that question (as well as which episode it did get used for).

finally stopped obsessing over the process of getting questions built and started building them. here's the most-recent inventory of what i have / what i need for each round:

The Warmup (23/80)
The Shitpost* (5/15)
The Mess (29/45)
The Listicle* (20/150)
The Memory Hole* (3/15)
The Slugout (11/75)

*New round names. If it's gonna be about the internet, for an audience of the internet, then might as well make it more web 3.7 friendly or whatever standard we're up to now.

whenever you're ready to share the database, i've got a p good weird trivia brain and would literally love writing questions/prompts for this

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Thanks for the bump, would have never seen this otherwise. As someone else from the Appalachia area (though the part where the third ‘a’ is short) who loves game shows, I am def following this

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

"back from the break" -- i am behind a giant lectern/pulpit that i bought off goodwill for $20. my head and shoulders are barely peeking out over the top of the thing.

"some of y'all might be wondering what kind of planning goes into a racket like this. as you might have been able to guess by my purchase here, it's all on goddamned impulse."

my attention has been drawn to just behind the camera.

"hrm? You have a box? Oh, okay, that'll be a big help."

i walk off-camera stage right, coming back staring at a wooden box that is more like an army footlocker. Even on it's narrowest end, the box is awkwardly tall. The pocket on my shirt is level with the microphone, my head now halfway out of the shot.

i sigh audibly.

"look, no, i appreciate the help, but... do we have to use this? there's been plenty of shows that have the emcee just sta--"

I stop, because it just occurred to me that I am spending money to whine about being ill-prepared. I quickly hop off and push everything off-camera stage right and pick up on the next round.

after i get my cards.

Question count:

warmup: 32/80 (40%)

shitpost: 19/15 (100%)

mess: 45/45 (100%)

listicle: 1/15 (don't ask -- i've got ideas and answers for four sets. answers and pictures for one set. been focusing on other rounds.)
memory hole: ? / 15 (similar situation. i've got four sets done, but haven't found or made accompanying clips)

slugout: 16/80 (i'm aiming on 15 per show. don't think i'll need that many as the round plays out --figuring somebody's clock will get cleaned before question #10-- but in learning from prior mistaattempts with question-writing, you always need more than you think on account of technical errors, etc)

on other fronts, i've been contacting people and/or their estates about using their likenesses for the rogue's gallery of a backdrop I've been kicking around in my head. 2 said yes, one wanted some time to think it over, and that's about all i got so far. the one that wanted time to think it over wanted to see a rough idea of what it'd look like, so i whipped up a rough, rough (rough*) draft.

13'x12', and i assume that also accounts for the foot or so where the cyclorama curves in the back.

another segment idea would involve pulling one of the headshots aside and give a short biography on them, why they're cool ppl, etc.

your friend sk posted:

whenever you're ready to share the database, i've got a p good weird trivia brain and would literally love writing questions/prompts for this

:) check your PMs.

*rough

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 14, 2021

----------------

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just popping in between probations to say that the last of the cameras I've ordered are coming in, one today and the other on Friday.

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

segment ideas
"Vivat Ludum"

3-5min montages of international versions of game shows. One show per segment (as in different versions of Family Feud in one, international versions of The Price is Right, etc).

"Cardell's Catalogue"

safari'ing into different genres of all kinds of media with the idea that there is some amazing things out there on the internet, but like anything else in life you have to dig through an awful lot of poo poo to get to it. Ep ideas: analog horror, future funk, glitch art, demoscene, YTMND and it's role in memes today...

oh poo poo I still have this thread! here's the current state of play:

i've hit another stall-out, like y'all couldn't tell. this time I'm on a triple threat of ADHD (now medicated), having make new transportation arrangements (sorted), and funding (WIP).

what i was trying to say earlier with that sagan quote is that I've been having to teach myself this poo poo as I go along. And I'm learning every job in a production in order to be able to run it in case somebody can't make it or no-shows. Thankfully, it seems like personal poo poo has been sorted out so I can try to start things rolling again.

Studio size is actually 35' x 25' (12' height). The cost of studio time has gone up, but as often as I've hit these stalls, I've made peace with the idea of inflation.

Maybe now I'll have the loving focus to finally program some poo poo.

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Good luck my orb!

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxroqlqytu4

so today's part i'm having to know is tech and equipment-- one of my desktops has completely crapped out; video card is my immediate suspicion. the now-former video card would not have supported what i am now attempting. so, a couple of twenties out of a few paychecks scored me a decent price on a viewtek 7750 -- 6 outputs, meaning I can probably group everything as an extended desktop and slap one desktop-spanning program across all the monitors.

been learning lua, specifically love2d. i am hoping to be able to devote an hour or two to slapping poo poo together this weekend and at least ensuring it's just the ADHD that has kept me from learning this and not that coding is something outside of my skillset.

----------------