Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Since people have asked about WTF the story is about in the MMO I may as well make a post about that too.

Words:
- Cultivators - People that cultivate qi to achieve immortality. If you cultivate real hard for a real long time you'll live forever.
- Immortals - Normal people call cultivators Immortals to be deferential and because they usually ask for help after that.
- Demons - Anything non-human that cultivates a spirit is technically a demon. Kunwuzi is still technically a panda-demon, Meijia is a mermaid which is a fish-demon, etc.
- Sword Spirit - A sword that has taken a humanoid form.
- Bladeheart - This is confusingly different than a Sword Spirit. It is the soul remnants that get transferred to the player character in the intro.
- Malignant Qi - Qi is life breath so Malignant Qi is like evilness but also sort of like undeath.
- Devastators - Creatures affected by Malignant Qi
- The Devastator - Another confusing name - this is some sort of dark god we don't have a lot of details on, but he is worshiped by the Awakeners

The Start: Blade Peak
- There are 3 magical swords that got broken in a big bad fight 30 years ago. The Qin League bring people in to see if the swords like them enough to let the player collect the sword. We're good enough and get a sword spirit. Monsters attack immediately afterwards, because the biggest baddest monster ever is locked up under Blade Peak and you discover the monster's wife is leading the army to free him. She is a mermaid named Meijia. The army is made up of Devastators, which are rare.

Valley of a Hundred Grasses
- This is a special place for students to train and it's also under attack by monsters. Haocang lets you fly his cool clockwork phoenix here and he starts acting weird. You meet Lilane, who is actually a deer who knew the greatest Immortal ever, who disappeared over a thousand years ago (I think, it might be like 600). Kunwuzi was another animal that followed that Immortal and it's why they hang out in Cloudrise waiting for their friend to return. Anyway, you break some magical formations up and then Haocang turns evil and steals a fancy sword and teleports away.

Valley of a Hundred Grasses Pt 2
- There is a big tree of life type thing with a big magical shield, and Haocang is going to breach it and stab the tree. You try to stop him, but he does it with a new magical sword. People are sad and he runs away with Meijia, confirming he is on her side now.

Cloudrise
- Council meeting time! They talk about what happened and you focus on the evil sword Haocang used. There are legends about another evil sword in Heavenly Ridge so you go there.

Heavenly Ridge
- You meet the Wuzhao, who were turned into weird demon people by a sword that looks the same as the one Haocang had. You learn about their past and how it happened (the dungeon is the flashback explaining their encounter with the demon sword). A civil war starts within the Wuzhao as Haocang gives a demonsword to their hot-headed general. You meet an Awakener and he seems suspicious.

Chang'an
- The last thing Haocang was investigating before he turned evil was a report that a suspicious sword had been used in a duel at the capital, that led to the rise of the new emperor. You check it out and you find that a general in the imperial guard did have a demon sword. This is General Cu Rui. You fight like 14 different versions of him. You find out the Awakeners worship The Devastator, and that's a big bad thing.

Weichuan Highlands
- Cu Rui is still an imperial guard general, so you go to find him and investigate. He fucks you up and you get saved by a princess and a lord. She's nice, he's a dick. You learn what happened years ago in the battles.

Huaixiu Village
- Throughout the campaign you've touched demonswords too much, and you're getting too much malignant qi in your body. You need to go see someone from the Turquoise Lantern to fix it, so you go to the village. You learn about the spirit world and fight some random ghosts, but you realize they were recruited by Meijia too and she has a huge army.

Zhongnan Foothills
- The demon army is camped out here. There are some fox demons luring guys away and then a whole army that is camped out around the Nine Dragon Mere. This is pinning a big dragon down to steal his energy. You save him and push the army back.

Baxian Plateau
- You still have too much malignant qi and need to be cleansed in the most special area possible. You find that the wildlife and demons have been driven crazy by Meijia's antics so you help them and kill more awakeners. You get your life saved after doing enough fixing.

Jiangdu/Shanghuai Grasslands
- Awakeners are doing bad poo poo and trying to let their god out! You team up with Mysticism, one of the factions of Immortals, to stop them along with the Wuzhao. They don't like each other because of a war decades ago, but you help them make up. You find someone called the Chanku Sword is a woman with a demonsword that was at the imperial sword pavilion. So we are pretty certain that the emperor/someone in the imperial government is evil and possessed by the sword. There is also a strange blacksmith that makes and enchants the blades and no one can find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Dynamite Dog posted:

Since people have asked about WTF the story is about in the MMO I may as well make a post about that too.

this is an awesome write-up, thanks. I guess I'll also toss in that all three Swords of Legends games are on Steam under the name Gujian, tho IIRC only Gujian3 has english support, for anyone who's really digging SOLO and likes single-player RPGs.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks for the writeup! I'm glad I managed to get the gist of most of the story, I guess it seems the sword of legends franchise is kinda like final fantasy where each series/story is independent but share concepts between them?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I'm working through Gujian 3 at the moment. The translation is, so far, better than the MMO and its pretty entertaining. I suggest using a controller if you play.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

The imperial guard general is Wu Rui, not Cu Rui, the Lord that rescues you in the the Highlands is Cui something and I got them mixed up.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
After playing through the first two of the standalone bosses they just added, my opinion of the game is much improved. It really does scratch the WoW healer gameplay itch. Slightly more condensed kits than peak WoW, but still a bunch of kit interactivity and synergy between healers' cooldowns. It's fun!

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

One of the Biographies for the daily today is a really interesting bit of backstory for Lilane, Yaoqi, the Qin Mausoleum. It’s the #3 one I think.

Rinzla
Feb 11, 2019

I said come in! posted:

Do the devs have any plans to overhaul the UI? I still play SOLO everyday to at least do the PvE dailies, but this game does still need a lot of work. There are a lot of mechanics that could just be streamlined way more, or are not really necessary. The UI needs to be completely redone, and the optimization is non-existent. Since i'm primarily doing group content now, i've resorted to just having the game at the lowest possible settings, and turning player models off. Even though this is a 3+ year old, and I am playing on a RTX 2070, it's the only way I can actually get 60fps and even then it's not stable.

Turning the settings down actually does more harm than good oddly. Put your settings back up and play with teammate character models off. That’s how I play and don’t really have an issue. Running RTX2070 Gaming Z with a Ryzen 7 1700x.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Shamelessly stolen from Reddit but it perfectly captured the struggle my brain goes through when trying to play this game and pay attention to the quest story.

Typical Swords of Legends Quest Instructions

"Converse to XiaoMing of WeiJing province the goddess declares for her to speak to you so she may bring fish lord DaoDong to the WeiShi world to restore peace to GouShi with moon crabs, locating XiaoMing on mount YuBing with satchel of egg.

***End life of Fox of Daojing 0/50.***"

..but also the foxes are actually tigers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Since interest in this has died down and I personally don't have the time blocks to raid, I'm just going to let the goon guild go defunct. I think most of the other active players have moved on to other guild's anyways. So if someone wants to take it over let me know, otherwise it'll just bleed people til it closes or will just stay around forever and someone can do a coup after 30 days.

There's nothing in the bank except for a bit of cash so there's nothing to distribute back.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
For the one or two people who may care now, this game is going F2P like everyone with a brain thought would happen eventually. How Gameforge will reconcile this with the developer's apparent very anti-F2P, anti-pay-to-win attitude I don't know, but I guess player numbers must have been pretty bad in the West. I stopped playing myself after the incoherent translation, awful performance and seeming focus on nothing but raids killed my interest in it, but perhaps going F2P might get someone else here who was interested to try it. This is part of the 2.0 patch on the 24th, which also has the fox mage and warrior classes, new dungeons and areas, a couple new story chapters and a level cap increase.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 1, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

What is a buy-to-play mmo if not buying into the beta for the F2P mmo

E. Looking forward to playing a Fox Mage where every skill involves banging someone's husband

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 1, 2022

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

My Crab is Fight posted:

For the one or two people who may care now, this game is going F2P like everyone with a brain thought would happen eventually. How Gameforge will reconcile this with the developer's apparent very anti-F2P, anti-pay-to-win attitude I don't know, but I guess player numbers must have been pretty bad in the West.

They're not changing anything about the monetization being cosmetic only. They're only removing the initial cost to play.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Did anyone jump back in now that it is free to play? If so has anything changed from launch? Is the localization at least passable now?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I played for like three hours but never really got anywhere before the piss poor performance (because it's an ancient engine that stopped being supported in 2014) annoyed me enough to realise I wasn't having fun.

Maybe when the UE4 changeover happens.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Fair enough, that sounds about the same experience as I had before I refunded (but the localization was the worst offender for me).

I am guessing the UE4 upgrade is a while off.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

If you don’t want to deal with the localization, is it possible to play the Chinese version of the game?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

If you don’t want to deal with the localization, is it possible to play the Chinese version of the game?

Yeah, you can turn the language over pretty easily. Sometimes the cutscenes even play in Mandarin regardless of your setting.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
This is shutting down at the end of June, RIP to another MMO that had cool bones but was handled poorly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

What a shame, but in retrospect not too surprising. I was pretty hype for the game and enjoyed what I had but my life just doesn't really have room for what an MMO expects out of you anymore, and I feel like a large part of the MMO playerbase feels the same. Ultimately after a fairly short period of time you get into the dungeon grind mode and all the other parts of the world they made fade away.

There just isn't room for small MMOs anymore. It's a catch-22: an mmo won't survive unless you put your time into it, but why would you put your time into something that is just going to die due to lack of playerbase?

From looking around Google it looks like they just stopped updating it at the start of the year so this was clearly a long time coming.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 1, 2023

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That's too bad, I messed around with this a little last year and it was fun, just needed some polish and ongoing support. At least at low levels, dunno about the end game. Wound up not playing much cuz I didn't really have the time or interest to learn its systems

RIP

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Did the translation ever improve beyond incoherent at best?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

That's a shame but unsurprising. I really enjoyed the combat and housing but yeah the translation was really poo poo and there was basically no marketing afaik so the initial pop was never that big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I paid 30 bucks for this and played for 8 hours lmao. What a waste. Wish I knew as much about the habits of fledgling mmos and Gameforge in particular when I bought it as I do now though (so I can tell myself to run away from it).