Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Problem description: I can't seem to run Chrome from an external drive in Mac OS. I dragged Chrome from the Applications folder to the external drive, trashed the one in the original Applications folder, and launched the one on the external. It bounces in my doc for a few minutes, then nothing. I right click the Chrome icon in the dock, and it says "application not responding", and a window eventually pops up that says "Verifying 'Google Chrome'", but it has been at least 10 minutes and has not gone away. I seem to be able to run any other app just fine from the external drive. I'm doing this to save space on my system drive, and Chrome takes up 20 (!) gigabytes.

Attempted fixes: I'm not really sure what my options are here. Maybe I need to empty my trash because it has the original Chrome app there? I'm scared.

Recent changes: None really. Just plugged in a new external drive.

--

Operating system: Mac OS 11.2.1
System specs:
Mac mini (2018)
3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Well Chrome decides to work now for some reason. Other's that I can't get working:

-Android Studio: If I drag the app to the external drive and run it, it says:

quote:

Missing essential plugins:
com.intellij.java
com.intellj.java.ide
org.jetbrains.android

Please reinstall Android Studio from Scratch.

If I download the disk image, and drag the icon to the external drive, it says the application is corrupt and should be moved to the trash.

-Xcode: I just don't think this is able to work anyway.