Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I wish I could not work as much but I have a manic fear of becoming destitute. My early career was spent in restaurants and self employed so I'm on a few different levels of broke brained. Today I put in my 8-5 , made dinner and helped the kids with homework for 2 hours and then worked until midnight. No one told me I had to, I just had a project I wanted to finish which of course is not yet actually finished. I do this poo poo on a regular basis. Work is like an abusive relationship for me. It takes and takes and I give and give and at the end of it all I feel used and guilty for taking the time from other things that are probably more important for my well being. I keep going back because it's what Ive always done and I hear this voice in my head that's like "you are nothing without me; you'd end up on the street without me, now get back infront of that computer and make some data flows" and I believe the voice.

Anyway I should probably see a therapist or something but I'm afraid they'll tell me to work less or quit my job.

After all it says in the bible; "a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest and poverty will come upon you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man". (Yes I am quoting from memory)

I came across an interesting concept in a book I read recently called "the burnout generation". The author talked about a class called the precariat. Essentially these are medium wage workers who are perpetually afraid of ending up as low wage workers. I feel it. It's the fear of having to go back to delivering pizza. It's real as hell. Everything comfortable and easy that I've been able to attain in life can go away so fast and the only way I can find to curb that anxiety is to just put in more hours. I know at least one or two of my coworkers are doing similar things. We don't talk about it really and it's messed up because we are creating these absurd expectations to management based on what we are able to pull off which causes this sort of feedback loop where now I have to work more to satisfy the expectations I helped create.

I've been volunteering at a bike coop on the weekends and it's awesome - everything I like about work and none of the anxiety, pressure, and mental hangups. I recently started truing wheels. It feels incredibly satisfying to learn a new skill and help people and not worry about money or career future, or personal brand. Why can't work be like that?

I'll have a large fries and an order of ligma on the side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

if your disability is being a chat thread poster you don't get any benefits from the state, sorry op

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

What a horrid morning. I was planning on smoking a nice fat blunt or two but guess what

Instead of doing that, I worked.

From home.

Without any supervision, too.

gently caress my broken brain, gently caress my slave mentality, gonna light up RIGHT NOW

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ill trade you brains

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trash Ops posted:

if your disability is being a chat thread poster you don't get any benefits from the state, sorry op
no that's my job