Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
2023 update: BB3 was released as a steaming pile of poo poo with bugs to put Cyberpunk 2077 to shame, missing rules, incomplete features, and a microtransaction shop that was never fleshed out while it still managed to alienate a large part of the BB fanbase. It quickly placed in the bottom 20 worst rated games on Steam.

They tried to fix it in the launch month, and got rid of the worst crash bugs, but following that the fixes stopped and their focus shifted to their upcoming season pass, which has since been delayed. The game now peaks at 60 concurrent players.

I close this thread and advice against buying BB3 in its current state. It's more likely to be abandoned than salvaged. Go for BB2 or the non-Cyanide adaptation, FUMBBL, if you must Blood Bowl.

2022 update: BB3 is having a new beta event, Jan 25th to Feb 2nd. Only previous beta testers are eligible, but there's bound to be streams of it if you want to watch the fire from a safe distance.

The previous beta was poorly received, riddled with UI problems and bugs that made it unsuited for a public test. We got a second look months later at a a Games Workshop special preview event. That went okay-ish. The interface was still a clusterfuck, but a less eye-searing one.

This is an improvement if you can believe it. People got dizzy just looking at the old pitch, and we couldn't even tell tacklezones from blood pools without enabling color blind mode.

If you're familiar with Blood Bowl, but haven't kept up. BB3 will be using the newest version of the tabletop ruleset. The changes are extensive and I lack the time and understanding to explain it. The important part is that elf bullshit is harder now, and the clawpomb murder combo is gone. Only throwers can pass competently, claw and mighty blow don't stack, and piling on has changed into a fouling skill that burns team rerolls.

And if you're unfamiliar with Blood Bowl, good for you. It's an infuriating game of dice and RNG misery. Warhammer Fantasy takes on American Football. You make a team of murderous elves, orcs, dwarves, etc, and go against another coach in a turnbased match of wits and fists. Outmaneuver or outpunch your opponent, bitch about bad dice and carefully develop your team into semi-competent footballers. Then watch them break their necks and die failing the simplest actions such as running a little longer than they're supposed to. I am not being hyperbolic. It's a rough game to get into.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i never got to try khorne daemons for the brief window they were a thing and it haunts me

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I couldn't stand the 2nd iteration because it had no way to speed up CPU turns in single player. I don't want to spend 45 minutes playing a match when 30 of that is waiting for the CPU animations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah. I don't expect BB3 to respect our time either. It hopefully gets the quality of life improvements they did since the BB2 launch, but there's still much they could've done to make that game more time efficient. The non-consensual cutscenes that extends time even if you aren't watching them yourself are hot bullshit.

Maybe they'll do something about people running down the clock. That's been a consistent complaint, and it's a solved problem in these types of games. The chess clock in something like Hearthstone would work fine.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
They're making another one of these?
By the same bad devs again, too. Not only do they nickel and dime you on the teams, they make you buy the whole game again!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

And Cyanide has Nacon as their publisher now. The publishers from the Sinking City clusterfuck.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
No female wardancers no buy.

In all seriousness though I played the original a tonne but BB2 was terrible, skill names being replaced with unclear icons hurt a lot and I kept on getting input errors with the game itself. That and the graphics were basically like looking at mud.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Looks like not that many keys went out, but a bunch of the BB2 streamers got in if you want to see it.

https://www.twitch.tv/cknoor is pretty chill and probably got most of us into BB in the first place with his lets plays.

It looks all kinds of janky.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 3, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I can see why they delayed it, it's not very polished right now. The UI looks like a step down and people seem to be having trouble getting their inputs to register.

Also I know it's beta, but I'm not a fan of the aesthetic of the game. I preferred BB2 for being more colorful and cartoony. Everything looks pretty muddy and washed out so far.

I'm still excited for the shake up to the rules at least.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

OP updated. There's a new beta test coming up.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Beta is up. I played one match and had enough. It's now more responsive with better controls and better feedback on what the hell is happening, but it's still not in a good state.

Here's a cheerful BB2 streamer trying to enjoy it.

https://twitch.tv/elyod

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's amazing that Cyanide's games just keep getting worse through iteration.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, the desire to nerf 'elf bullshit' ran me off- the last thing i want out of blood bowl is nonstop boring possession cageball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The elf nerf went overboard. I liked the idea of the passing stat, but elf positionals other than throwers should've kept their 2+ pass. It was their linos being fantastic value at agi 4 that made them bullshit. And also leap was destroyed. It gets -1 for every tacklezone in either the start or landing now. It would've been more than enough going one way or the other with it.

I dunno. I've lost what little optimism I had for BB3 since this morning. The changes weren't enough, and I can't get myself to play a second match. Pretty sure Cyanide will bury the franchise if they launch it like this.