Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

This is going to be the stupidest thing, because I only have the information my cousin is giving me, and he's 13. So, sorry for that in advance.

I've got a younger cousin whose family always asks me for computer advice. He has a laptop he's had for just about a year at this point,

Model: HP envy x360 15m-ee0xxx, which actually looks like it could really be one of two different models.

System Specs: A 4700u and I believe the vega 7 apu? I think only 8gb of ram. I'm literally on the other side of the world so I cant actually see the condition he's kept it in or dive much deeper into what's all in it.

Recent Changes: This is a mystery. I asked him but, who knows.

Operating System: Windows 10

Googled and read the FAQ, all signs point to bad thermals to me still
Location: I'm in China, he's in America, so that's part of what makes this so difficult

He comes to me looking for advice saying, he's playing games on it and after around 2 hours his framerate absolutely plummets, immediate drops from a playable framerate to 6 fps, that sort of thing. This will happen for a bit, then it will get ok again, another 30 seconds and it drops again, etc.

He said it started happening about a month ago.

So I thought, it's a laptop, it's probably super dusty, this happens after its been on a long time, thermal throttling. I told him, get furmark, get prime95, see if we can replicate it and catch the temps when it does that. I think he was worried furmark and prime95 would break it more than it already is so he just didn't do that. Had him grab hwmonitor to see the temps, but it also didn't really give me a whole lot of information, it only gives him the package temps which I'm honestly not sure what we should expect them to be, that's going to be higher than any other temps, right?

At (mostly, I guess) idle, looks like this

But, he tried to "catch it" while it was happening and this is what we got

And he could monitor the gpu with a tool that came with his laptop

I think he took those pictures right after he was getting some bad framerates.

But I'm not sure exactly what to make of that, because I'm not sure how that apu is supposed to behave. It makes sense for it to drop down to 200mhz or so when it's idle I guess, but then I guess it could just as easily be it throttling. Though in none of the pictures he showed me does the gpu look too hot.

So, what I had him do was blast every vent and fan he could find with compressed air (I wanted him to take off the back and make sure he gets it all but he didn't really feel comfortable doing that.) Then, I had him grab the gpu driver from HP, since he just wasn't apparently using that (I'm not sure if he was using an old driver, or just whatever Windows gave him), had him get the chipset drivers, and had him set his power plan in windows to ryzen balanced. There were no bios updates so we didn't do that.

He did immediately get much better performance in game, though I think that was mostly because of the gpu driver. But, after playing for a while longer,

So now I'm at a loss as to what to tell him. Is there anything else we should be checking? Or maybe some possibility I'm overlooking? Is there something I'm missing with the screenshots he's sent me or something I should really be having him do to figure out what's going on?

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BrainDance posted:

So now I'm at a loss as to what to tell him. Is there anything else we should be checking? Or maybe some possibility I'm overlooking? Is there something I'm missing with the screenshots he's sent me or something I should really be having him do to figure out what's going on?

It's possible there's a virus on there.

Make sure he's on the latest version of W10 and have him do a full virus scan at some point.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Zogo posted:

It's possible there's a virus on there.

Make sure he's on the latest version of W10 and have him do a full virus scan at some point.

Yeah that's definitely possible. He is on the latest build of Windows, I had him check that before to be sure (because I wanted to see if he was getting any updates, at all.) I did put some faith in Windows Defender being able to catch most things he might end up with that wouldn't be opposite, and I did think that if it was a virus it would probably be causing more random performance issues. But I'm taking the word of a 13 year old here at face value, so who knows.