Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Ова е нашата глина Welcome to the official Jizz Hornkamp thread for the Republic of North Macedonia/Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia/Macedonia/Yugoslav Federal Republic of Macedonia football team in the 20201 Euros

I am writing this thread because I once spent a week on holiday in Ohrid. I am therefore your resident expert on North Macedonia and all things Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonian.

First a little History lesson
North Macedonia is a Grade A area of clay in the Balkan peninsula. It is usually coveted or loathed (sometimes both) by their neighbours. Back in the day they had a ‘firm’ called IMRO who caused a lot of strife.
It is sometimes thought of as either
a) Full of Serbs who ended up speaking Bulgarian by mistake.
b) Bulgarians/Bulgaria dammit! They are just too dumb to realise it.
c) Haha Macedonia is Greek my friend. I don’t know what these weird Slavs are playing at but Macedonia is Greek clay.
d) “Autochthonous” – a big slab of this is actually Albanian and will inevitably be joined to Greater Albania alongside Kosovo.

Now that is over let us talk about the footballing giants of Macedonia who “….reached the tournament through the play-offs via League D in the Nations League”.

That’s the sort of pedigree we’re talking about. I mean they gubbed Die Mannschaft recently in a World Cup Qualifier.

lmao

Well

There’s a lad from Leeds, one from Napoli and Goran Pandev who has been around long enough I think he might have played for Yugoslavia. The rest of the squad mostly plays for teams dotted around the region who you only ever hear of when they knock out Hibs or Kilmarnock from European competition before the end of July.

North Macedonia have been drawn in a Group alongside Austria, the Ukraine and the Netherlands. On current form I expect them to win all their group games en-route to tournament domination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcCpWrdMD88

biglads fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I was going to post something about how they used to have one good player in Goran Pandev, but then I learned that he is in fact still playing in Serie A even though he will turn 38 next month!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Gjanni Alioski is an underrated headcase who will at some point get a booking for something weird like flicking a defenders ears at a set piece or pulling a face at the ref

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

I was going to post something about how they used to have one good player in Goran Pandev, but then I learned that he is in fact still playing in Serie A even though he will turn 38 next month!

He’s still pretty good! I also think he didn’t retire specifically to play in this tournament.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

He’s still pretty good! I also think he didn’t retire specifically to play in this tournament.

That makes a lot of sense since it's their first ever major tournament.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

The lads beat Kazakhstan 4-0 tonight. Looking good.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Up the Macs imo (someone tell me the proper nickname please) they are cool and good, if you don't want them to win every game you are Greek have no football heart

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Up the Macs imo (someone tell me the proper nickname please) they are cool and good, if you don't want them to win every game you are Greek have no football heart

A bit of googling tells me they are known as Crveni Risovi which is Red Lynx. Rawr.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Sadly, like this thread, North Macedonian chances in the Euros appear to be subsiding.

An unsurpising win if you had then in your 'involved in racism controversy' on your Euro bingo card.

Arnautovic eh.....I ask you what sort of real Serb would be from Vienna, home of the oppressors (1910 edition)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
RIP North Macedonia.

Looks like Pandev got a nice sending off though; I think he's officially retired now? I don't know if he'll continue playing for Genoa

https://twitter.com/rogbennett/status/1407029766981554179