Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Turdburgle, Op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerAuraBoresMeAlice
Dec 26, 2005

Tessallate

Elburroman
Dec 27, 2012
Fart

poo poo

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

tapdancing

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Play posted:

they don't start with T but how in the world do "fill out" and "fill in" mean the same thing

there's some nuance in American English. filling out a form is more idiomatic, but filling in the blanks is more idiomatic. if a football player is filling out, he's getting bigger. if he's filling in, he's playing a position for somebody else.

but the real answer is that prepositions are kind of malleable.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
To post

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Derpies posted:

It’s be a lot funnier and an epic own if you could find an action verb that started with T to describe this.

thrash

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Taintreap

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Empty Sandwich posted:

there's some nuance in American English. filling out a form is more idiomatic, but filling in the blanks is more idiomatic. if a football player is filling out, he's getting bigger. if he's filling in, he's playing a position for somebody else.

but the real answer is that prepositions are kind of malleable.

Filling in can also mean getting bigger. As in, 'you've really filled in to your frame'.

So regarding forms and bodies they can be equivalent.

I don't know I was just thinking about this, wanted to post it somewhere and figured a silly thread about words would work

Haha I love this one

Thread tax: toil, tile, top, tear, turn, take, tuck, tape

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Tubin

feller
Jul 5, 2006

troublemake

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
trepan

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ooo that's a good one!

terminate, thread, tinkle, thwart, transplant, trim, trudge, twitch, twitter (whoa)

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

thrungert

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
can you imagine the shame of it

a grown man, manually pulling himself off. repulsive

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Toobin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT-hn4WnX_0

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

oh poo poo how did I miss this one

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Aren’t all verbs action words? The description in the thread title is tautological.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

therattle posted:

Aren’t all verbs action words? The description in the thread title is tautological.

Imma tautolog you, smarty pants!

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

therattle posted:

I suppose it depends on how the word 'action' is used. I believe that the thread is referring to direct physical action, so 'triumph' would not be an action verb, but 'tug' would, and so on.

I mean, it would just sound ridiculous to ask " who's triumphing?"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Trib
TikTok
Twerk
Twist
Twang

feller
Jul 5, 2006

tryintogetahandbeezy

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

therattle posted:

sorta. it's in opposition to stative verbs, the idea being that verbs that denote ownership aren't used in the present progressive: "I am having a car."

of course, you could say "I am having a panic attack," but have takes on an action sense (in that one doesn't so much own a panic attack as one endures it).

Play
Apr 25, 2006

therattle posted:

I suppose you could say that the words in the title are tautologizing

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Twirl, twist, talk, type, tip, twerk, tilt, temper, trek, tickle, tile, tie, trample

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

teabag

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

lol!

Whose teabaggin'.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Take a look at deez nuts