Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore posted:

FAT NIGHT Rozenstruik vs Sakai

This card doesn’t have a lot of name recognition but there are some peanuts in this turd, so shall we dig in? Tastes great.

Main Card ESPN+ (all of this is on ESPN plus actually)

Heavyweight Main Event Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Augusto Sakai
I’m not sure why out of the 6 heavyweights on this card that these guys are the two who are in the main event. Jairzinho “Bigi Boi” is a high-level kickboxer with some smoking power, and decent strategic patience, but he has also demonstrated some lack of creativity or a plan B. He has had his highs and lows – he murdered the poo poo out of Overeem’s face after losing 4.90 rounds to him. Last time he got embarrassed by Cyril Gane in a UD loss. Sakai hasn’t fought since getting brutally dominated and TKOed by Overeem in September. The MMA math here strongly favours Rozenstruik, and I don’t think that Sakai has shown the footwork, speed, or technical acumen to replicate Gane’s (or even Overeem’s) game plan of outside striking and mobility. It’s honestly not that interesting of a fight.

Heavyweight Walt Harris vs Marcin Tybura
Yeesh give Harris a softball after last year’s marketing campaign. He went 0-2 in 2020 losing to Overeem and Volkov. He’s a big dude who can throw some kicks and stuff. He has shown some moments of promise, but he has also shown that he has bad cardio, even for Heavyweight. Tybura well, has shown good cardio. He’s on the longest winning streak at Heavyweight right now I think (not going to double check that, someone can :actually: me if they want) but his best win in that streak is Ben Rothwell. Tybura is a dreadfully boring heavyweight who has an extremely crushing top game, if he can get there.

Middleweight Roman Dolidze vs Laureando Staropoli
Dolidze is a crazy Georgian who was undefeated as a light heavyweight until he dropped to 85 and lost a close decision to Trevin Giles back in March. His fights have been fun so far. Argentinian Staropoli is a late replacement for Di Chiciro. His only fight in recent memory was a UD loss to Tim Means, where he missed weight – and now he has moved up.

:frogsiren:Welterweight Santiago Ponzinibbio vs Miguel Baeza
Really this should be the main event – it’s not as if there’s significantly less name recognition here anyway. Ponzinibbio was a top welterweight contender until he broke the seal on an ancient cursed tomb and then he got staph, then covid, then blew up some ligaments in whatever order and spent forever on the shelf. He is one of the best boxers in the division, maybe in the whole UFC. In his last fight his long winning streak came to an end when he got KOed by The Leech. This is not an easy rebound fight. Baeza is one of the top prospects out there right now and this is a big jump for him, too. He came in from DWCS and he has gone 3-0 in the UFC so far, including a loving smashing of Matt Brown and a submission of Takashi Sato. He’s a grappler. Don’t miss this.

:siren:Middleweight Dusko Todorovic vs Gregory Rodrigues
Replacing Maki Pitolo, Rodriguez is a Brazilian striker who just won an LFA championship tournament in impressive fashion, KOing two other prospects in upsets en route. He’s a powerful striker and pretty good at setting things up either on lead or counter. Todorovic is a Serbian striker who came in from DWCS but he got KOed in January. His fights have all been fun and violent, too.

Middleweight Tom Breese vs Antonio Arroyo
Cmon maybe this time will be when Breese starts to put it together. Breese is a very good striker but he just can’t get on the right track, running a 5-3 UFC record with alternating wins and losses for the last while. He completely outclassed and KOed KB Bhullar in October, but then in January got ground and clowned by Omari Akhmedov in a submission loss. Arroyo is a DWCS guy who hasn’t picked up a win in the UFC yet. He lost to Deron Winn, so front-runner Breese is probably going to show some good poo poo here.

Prelims
Flyweight Montana de la Rosa vs Ariane Lipski
De la Rosa is a forgettable flyweight fighter who is extremely mediocre. She came in from TUF, and is 4-2-1 in the UFC now. All of her stoppages are by submission. Lipski is a Brazillian who got TKOed by Antonina Shevchenko.

Heavyweight Tanner Boser vs Ilir Latifi
The world’s strongest man Ilir Latifi seems to have settled in at heavyweight. He’s a big strong guy with big punch and Sweden. No shirt; horse. Leather. Boser is a Canadian who looks like he just came in from hosing down the ice. He’s an extremely mobile and fast heavyweight, which makes this interesting, because Latifi was until recently a lumbering light heavyweight. It’s tall fast guy vs short strong man.

:siren:Welterweight Francisco Trinaldo vs Muslim Salikhov
This is 42 year old Trinaldo’s welterwewight debut. Believe it or not he’s 16-6 in the UFC and presently on a 3-fight winning streak. His fighting style is being big and Brazilian. Salikhov (36 yrs old, so this is the oldest fight on the card) is a Dagestani Sanda fighter. He throws spinnin’ poo poo and is actually good at it. This fight is almost guaranteed to be dumb in the best possible ways.

:siren:Featherweight Makwan Amirkhani vs Kamuela Kirk
Mr Finland is back! In October Amirkhani lost a fun decision to Barboza (so his stock has gone up by proxy recently). He’s a high activity low-defense grappler who throws big loving flying knees sometimes. Kirk is a LFA product (and DWCS loser). I must have seen some of his fights since I watch a lot of LFA but I don’t have a clear memory of him I’m sorry. His last win was a “tko retirement” which I kinda remember. He doesn’t have many decisions on his record, so this is probably going to be fun

:siren:Lightweight Alan Patrick vs Mason Jones
Alan Patrick is a weird looking Brazilian striker who has been around the UFC forever and a day but with a low activity rate. He’s on a two fight skid to Bobby Green and Scott Holtzman. Mason Jones is a Cage Warriors champion who came in as an undefeated 26-year old prospect and lost a decision to (surging) Mike Davis in a respectable fight. Could be fun.

:siren:Featherweight Sean Woodson vs Youssef Zalal
Augh Dangit I like both of these guys but they both need a win. Zalal is a Tunisian striker whose UFC career so far has been a series of close, competitive decisions. He’s fun to watch. Sean Woodson is an extremely strange looking and gangly prospect who came in from DWCS and got caught by a late-fight D’Arce choke by Julian Erosa after dominating most of the rest of the fight. This should be a fun fight.

:siren:Lightweight Claudio Puelles vs Jordan Leavitt
Jordan Leavitt is that DWCS prospect who left Matt Wiman in a heap on the floor. He is extremely good and a possible future elite fighter. Don’t miss this. Claudio Puelles is a young Peruvian with a 2-1 UFC record, with no notable names. He hasn’t fought since 2019.

Flyweight Manon Fiorot vs Tabatha Ricci
Fiorot is a French flyweight who won her debut with a sweet standing TKO. She’s a decent striker. Ricci is a late replacement for Maryna Moroz. She’s a 4-0 LFA veteran and again, sorry, I don’t clearly remember her. Her record has a whole assload of wins in something called SEI*ZA but which is recorded as “Custom Rules Bout” – anyone know anything about this?

Snack Rating: a big bowl of ice cream with caramel sauce and pecans – eat it fast! The first few bites are going to be amazing, but the longer it sticks around the more it’s just going to be a bowl of lukewarm fat (that you’ll consume anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Time to see if weird Japanese quasi-fighting is a good base for MMA or not

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

LobsterMobster posted:

Time to see if weird Japanese quasi-fighting is a good base for MMA or not

It is not, at least not against someone an entire weight class larger than you

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

mister freakin finland :woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I note that I've been mostly wrong on every one of my :siren:s so far - the only non-bullshit clean finish so far was the one I didn't flag.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

mister freakin finland :woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

:saddowns: :qq: :negative:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

This is a fun fight

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
guess it's the night of eyepokes

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Bisping really is an rear end in a top hat. Saying Rodriguez looks 50? That's uncalled for

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
What a fight!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

FOTY candidate

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Incredible fight.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

That was some rock em sock em robots type poo poo 10/10

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

The fight gods giveth and the fight gods taketh away. Ref really should be separating those butt hugs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lots of jiggle in this big boy fight, hell yeah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That fight sucked and was also fun in a hilariously awful way.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
poor walt

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Absolutely remarkable that Tybura pulled that out despite being legally dead for three minutes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God that last shot on the ground, ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Love to bet rozenstruik by ko