Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

coleman francis posted:

That was a great LP, as always! Thanks for doing it.
Feels good to finally see the whole game. I can't believe how front-loaded it was.
All the deep dives into the cut content were very interesting.

Thanks for the support! I feel like LP's have kind of faded in popularity, so I really appreciate the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

davidspackage posted:

Thanks for the support! I feel like LP's have kind of faded in popularity, so I really appreciate the comments.

Yeah, the "classic" LP format definitely doesn't get the views a twitch stream does. I makes me really sad, there are a lot of Lpers that put in a ton of work to make funny/informative/thoughtful/entertaining LPs and it seems like no one watches 'em.

The SA/LPzone split didn't help and streaming is where the money is unless you're already a huge youtube star.

I really miss the good ol' days but nothing lasts forever and I understand why things have changed. Makes me doubly happy when a thread like yours pops up though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

coleman francis posted:

I really miss the good ol' days but nothing lasts forever and I understand why things have changed. Makes me doubly happy when a thread like yours pops up though.

I think it also really depends on what you're looking for. Streamers are for something to run in the background/to laugh when someone sucks at a game.

Video/screenshot LP's are for when you want an informative/narrative experience, streams can be fun to watch, but I'll never budge from my opinion that "classic" LP's are where the talent and effort are.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I recently installed Thief Gold from the original disks, and noticed as I often do the ad for Omikron. Inspired by this LP, I decided to load up the Eidos demo disk and see just what it was like to play this, at least in demo form. I lasted about two minutes and one crash to desktop before giving up. This game was years behind its time, and I can only salute you for showing it off as best you could.

It's notable that Thief doesn't look that much better, but the way it plays and feels is acceptably modern, while Omikron comes off as some experiment in UI that would have been more palatable five or six years prior. And to have it promise this sort of 'surrogate'/soul transference gameplay and really fail to deliver is just more of an insult.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I ran across a promotional video of an early version of Omikron while searching for something Dreamcast related. About half the video consists of prerendered video, but there's some gameplay. The world has a more contrast than the end result, but the style shown is still close to the first area in the final game. They kept that goofy running animation the whole time.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Kangra posted:

I recently installed Thief Gold from the original disks, and noticed as I often do the ad for Omikron. Inspired by this LP, I decided to load up the Eidos demo disk and see just what it was like to play this, at least in demo form. I lasted about two minutes and one crash to desktop before giving up. This game was years behind its time, and I can only salute you for showing it off as best you could.

It's notable that Thief doesn't look that much better, but the way it plays and feels is acceptably modern, while Omikron comes off as some experiment in UI that would have been more palatable five or six years prior. And to have it promise this sort of 'surrogate'/soul transference gameplay and really fail to deliver is just more of an insult.

When this LP popped up, I got the box for Omikron off my shelf to have a look inside it (opening it for probably the first time in decades), and it has kind of a catalogue of other contemporary Eidos-published games in it too. A lot of them are very well known, even today; alongside Thief: The Dark Project, there are games like Tomb Raider 1-3, Legacy of Kain, Daikatana, Final Fantasy VII, Commandos and Shadow Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TapamN posted:

I ran across a promotional video of an early version of Omikron while searching for something Dreamcast related. About half the video consists of prerendered video, but there's some gameplay. The world has a more contrast than the end result, but the style shown is still close to the first area in the final game. They kept that goofy running animation the whole time.

drat, look at those ReBoot graphics in the opening.