Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hello friends. Let me tell you a story.

As a child growing up in the 90s I had an au pair from Slovakia called Stanislav Dvorsky, or "Stano" as he was known. This amateur bodybuilding aficionado would pick me up after school, make me peanut butter on toast and play football with me until he got worn out because he was enormous and couldn't run very far. His favourite team was Spartak Trnava, and for some reason my school team ended up getting red and black striped shirts on that basis. One time he crashed our family car through a dry stone wall, reportedly while swerving to avoid a rabbit.

A few years later we went to stay with Stano and his family in the Tatra mountains, where we enjoyed the Eastern European lack of health and safety regulations as we went rafting and accidentally drifted across the Polish border, and went up a mountain in a cable-car with a door that didn't close. His dad gave my parents some alcohol he'd brewed in his garage which nearly made them go blind. It was awesome.

Nowadays Stano lives in Ireland with his Spanish wife and their daughter, in what I think we can all agree is a wonderful example of EU freedom of movement working well to bring the international community together.

Anyway,

Who are these people?

No idea, mostly. Marek Hamsik was hot poo poo for a while but now he's 33 and plays for IFK Gothenburg apparently. There's also Milan Skriniar who plays at centre back for Inter and is pretty good at it. Martin Dubravka of Newcastle will probably play in goal, and noted former Man City youth teamer Vladimir Weiss is also there.

Not even anyone from Trnava, for gently caress's sake. At least they've named 28 replacements just in case.

Are they any good?

Ehhh.... They beat Ireland on penalties in a play-off to get here, and also recently beat Russia in a World Cup qualifier, but also have recently drawn against Cyprus and Malta. Also they're in a group with Spain, Poland and Sweden which they're definitely fourth favourites in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I had a pretty good weekend in Bratislava once. That's enough to get me supporting these lads in the group stage and I hope Stano enjoys watching.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Stano sounds cool as hell and I am now supporting Slovakia.

Kucka played for Parma this season but they were so bad, through no fault of his, that they were relegated even after being bought by the Kum N Go American empire. Anyway Juraj Kucka aka Kuco owns and I love him.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for sharing your Stano story, Slovakia sounds cool.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Where the gently caress is Leeds United hall of famer Lubomir Michalik. That's a rough group though

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Have wished the big man good luck, hope the lads get a result here in a local derby against the dastardly Poles.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Great start for the Slovaks, they'll be celebrating in the streets of Poprad tonight.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This is the day lads. Up the Stano’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Well, this loving sucks.