Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Problem description: After a period time the start menu acts like the UP arrow is being held down constantly. More below.

Attempted fixes: Unplugged various devices. Restart fixes it for a time.

Recent changes: No. Game installs only. I have updated to the newest update.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 20H2

System specs: Built ~2 months ago
Ryzen 5 3600x
MSI <blah blah gaming words> B450 Tomahawk Max II
GSKILL Ripjaws PC4-25600 2x16GB (32GB total)
Gigabyte GP-P750GM
AMD HD 7870 GPU (gently caress you GPU market)
Onn mechanical KB (via KVM)
Razer Tartarus V2
Logitech G604
Logitech M510 (via KVM)
Startech SV211DPUA4K (KVM switch)
Dual monitors both off of MiniDP (one goes through KVM)
XBox Elite Controller using a USB cable

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Attempted the basic fixes, none worked.

Basic set up: I have 3 monitors. Home, KVM, work. The middle monitor I switch between work and home. My KB and Mouse (510) are both on the KVM. I have my G604 and Razer Tartarus directly connected the the home PC so I can scroll, play games, jerk off, whatever while I work. Sometimes I'll switch if I need to type something in (like this).

I do not know when this started, but at some point my start menu acts like the UP key is being pressed constantly. Means I can't scroll (It works, just immediately goes back to the top). Does it in all of menus where there is a scrollable selection box. This does NOT affect browsing, games, etc. Just the start menu and things like Settings. Rebooting DOES fix the issue (though I have to actually CTRL+ALT+DEL and restart from that screen).

Other "weird" issues that are explainable, but may not be related:
My PC will lock up. I'm about 90% sure this is the GPU as it did it on my old PC before it completely poo poo the bed on me, and it's the only common component. This seems to be badly exacerbated by videos no less. It will almost never crash when I'm playing games (Nier Automata and FFXIV), but it was doing it BAD when I was browsing, before I put an adblock (UBlock Origin) on the browser. Now it's not nearly as bad, but stupid Facebook videos and even YouTubing too much will cause issues, but it seems to be focused on certain ad videos.

Video stuttering: Before the PC locks up. Sometimes I can restart before it locks up, sometimes not.

KVM 'fun': Typical DP KVM issues. Sometimes when switching, the monitor will not 'reregister', and it stays off. Unplugging/plugging the DP cable or switching it back and forth works too.

Any ideas on what is causing the issue in the start menu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Does it keep happening if you unplug the Xbox controller? I wouldn't put it past MS to make the start menu take controller input for no good reason.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Yes, it does. that was one of the first things I did check (And it's fine when I first start up). Still trying to fully replicate it, but it being so random makes it difficult.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

A failing KVM switch and/or failing keyboard could do this.

Gothmog1065 posted:

My PC will lock up. I'm about 90% sure this is the GPU as it did it on my old PC before it completely poo poo the bed on me, and it's the only common component. This seems to be badly exacerbated by videos no less. It will almost never crash when I'm playing games (Nier Automata and FFXIV), but it was doing it BAD when I was browsing, before I put an adblock (UBlock Origin) on the browser. Now it's not nearly as bad, but stupid Facebook videos and even YouTubing too much will cause issues, but it seems to be focused on certain ad videos.

Video stuttering: Before the PC locks up. Sometimes I can restart before it locks up, sometimes not.

You could try another web browser I suppose.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
For what it's worth, I've got a laptop on W10 20H2 that did this EXACT thing for the first time (to my knowledge) last week. I hadn't recently unplugged any mice or gamepads and, after a little experimenting (plugging/unplugging new devices and screwing around with the start menu simultaneously) I found that a restart was the only the thing that "corrected" it. I don't have any of your other issues--and I don't use KVM--so perhaps something else is the culprit?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For what it's worth, I've got a laptop on W10 20H2 that did this EXACT thing for the first time (to my knowledge) last week. I hadn't recently unplugged any mice or gamepads and, after a little experimenting (plugging/unplugging new devices and screwing around with the start menu simultaneously) I found that a restart was the only the thing that "corrected" it. I don't have any of your other issues--and I don't use KVM--so perhaps something else is the culprit?

I've basically narrowed it down to 3 potential items:

1 (most unlikely) - Being Nier Automata PC version through XBox Live
2 - XBox Controller
3 - lovely USB cord (9' Onn from Wally world)

So basically what I've seen is it only happened after I played Nier, which is where I use the gamepad/controller. My gamepad DID stay plugged up with little to no issue, but once I started playing, if I put the controller down or moved it the wrong way, it would disconnect. I didn't think it was the cable (Since it was basically brand loving new), but after attempting to charge things on it, I realized the cable was a complete piece of loving garbage (I'm not angry, I swear). So I've got some better quality coming in from Amazon, so I'll start using that to see if I can remove that from my list of suspects.

I'm leaning more toward the USB cord causing some weird rear end glitch that created the issue. More experimentation ahead!