Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rock might be dead but its desiccated corpse keeps rolling along just fine.

Exhibit A: May 2021, glam rock band Måneskin wins the Eurovision Song Contest with the song Zitti e Buoni:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN1odfjtMoo

Exhibit B: June 2021, famous pop star John Mayer releases a single from his upcoming album Sob Rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Ne5dVDfLM

There's a bunch of fun new rock music coming right now and it doesn't really fit any other thread, so let's have a nonspecific rock thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Rock is the genre of music I listen to most often. I try to branch out, explore other ideas, but I keep coming back to Rock.

One of my all-time favourite bands with the song that won them "Best Hard Rock Song" at the 8th Annual Independent Music Awards (some award show I dunno, I like the song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfUenEME3UY

Two or three guitars, drums, a singer or two, maybe throw something else in like a tambourine, piano, hell a saxophone or a whole brass section works too. Rock.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Is this where we talk about Muse? Because the 20th anniversary remix of Origin Of Symmetry is out today.

I appreciate the added clarity on most of the songs, they do feel more dynamic. A few questionable choices though.

The snare drum sounds really weakened on some songs, especially "Bliss", which is a shame because that might be my favorite song by them. I just immediately knew it was missing something. The snare is just a little too crisp now and doesn't have that nice wet thud to it which propels the song along. At least, not on my car speakers. Maybe on other sound systems it'll sound better. (I was A/Bing it with the original version on my iPod on the drive to work)

I'm also not sure why they removed some of the track transitions. Citizen Erased and Micro Cuts both sound great (the latter has a harpsichord part that was completely inaudible in the original) but they don't have the weird flangey noise bridging them anymore, it's completely just not in the mix. (I thought this was just done for the "single" of CE but nope, the album is really like that.)

I had never heard this song "Futurism" before, it's pretty neat. Works well enough on the album even though it does sort of retread some of the other songs.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

Is this where we talk about Muse? Because the 20th anniversary remix of Origin Of Symmetry is out today.

I appreciate the added clarity on most of the songs, they do feel more dynamic. A few questionable choices though.

The snare drum sounds really weakened on some songs, especially "Bliss", which is a shame because that might be my favorite song by them. I just immediately knew it was missing something. The snare is just a little too crisp now and doesn't have that nice wet thud to it which propels the song along. At least, not on my car speakers. Maybe on other sound systems it'll sound better. (I was A/Bing it with the original version on my iPod on the drive to work)

I'm also not sure why they removed some of the track transitions. Citizen Erased and Micro Cuts both sound great (the latter has a harpsichord part that was completely inaudible in the original) but they don't have the weird flangey noise bridging them anymore, it's completely just not in the mix. (I thought this was just done for the "single" of CE but nope, the album is really like that.)

I had never heard this song "Futurism" before, it's pretty neat. Works well enough on the album even though it does sort of retread some of the other songs.

I’m in agreement with you. My take, crossposting from Reddit:

It’s definitely a cleaner mix. Overall, it’s good, but I’m gonna go ahead and say it’s a bit TOO clinical. And weirdly sloppy in places. You can hear the automation where they tried to accentuate the dynamics a bit more or fade things out weirdly conspicuously, and the compression over the whole thing is so heavy that somehow when the guitars kick in on Bliss, it feels *quieter* than the synth intro.

The instrument levels feel very focused on Matt’s voice and making it as clear as possible. As such, the mixes feel a bit unbalanced when he isn’t signing, like with the snare on New Born, or the guitar on Hyper Music seemingly high-shelved and dulled a bit.

There’s hisses and pops and clicks on certain channels in a few places, which makes me wonder if this new mix is just bringing out imperfections in the original recordings, or if there were encoding errors introduced when transferring the original tapes to Pro-Tools. And the missing split second in the intro of Micro Cuts is definitely an error.

Overall, it’s a very fun and interesting different take on what is, in my opinion, their best album. But it really sounds like it was kind of rushed, or wasn’t given a final pass with fresh ears before bouncing the tracks.

It’s definitely not an abomination like REM’s recent Monster remix. Holy hell that traumatized me.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

yeah, OOS is one of my favorite albums of all time so I’ve been excited for this. Unfortunately there seems to be as many things that I don’t like about it as much as there are things that I like, but it’s still fun hearing these. Like I agree that taking out all the little sound effects in Citizen Erased’s outro is a travesty.

by the way, most of their awesome early b-sides were added to Spotify about a year ago. Dead Star, Host, Coma, Twin, Nishe, Yes Please, etc.

but to contribute someone else, Ours is a band I got into over 10 years ago and they just came back with a good self-titled album. They don’t seem to have much of an online following at all anymore sadly, I’d see them if I could.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXq6t7Xt0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDgigTjXwMk

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 18, 2021

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Coldplay dropped the 10-minute final track of their upcoming album and it's pretty good. Definitely check it out if you miss the old Coldplay, or just if you like slow epic pop-rock about outer space and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWUV5-frRU4

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm not seeing the "Classic Rock" thread that I thought I remember existing, so I'll just post here. The 50th anniversary remix/deluxe edition of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass is out today. I've heard the main album so far, haven't dug into the demos. Overall I think it sounds great. I will say they might have “de-Spectorized” it a little more than purists might want, but I think very few people will miss it. Most of his fingerprints are still very much here, just a little less overbearing. You can finally pick out distinct instrument and vocal parts in these mixes. “Awaiting On You All” still sounds like an unholy mess, but it’s no longer physically painful to listen to. It actually has a rhythm you can latch onto, instead of being the audio equivalent of that scene in Peter Jackson’s King Kong where a flock of dinosaurs tumbles off a cliff for reasons which are still unclear to me.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm not seeing the "Classic Rock" thread that I thought I remember existing, so I'll just post here. The 50th anniversary remix/deluxe edition of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass is out today. I've heard the main album so far, haven't dug into the demos. Overall I think it sounds great. I will say they might have “de-Spectorized” it a little more than purists might want, but I think very few people will miss it. Most of his fingerprints are still very much here, just a little less overbearing. You can finally pick out distinct instrument and vocal parts in these mixes. “Awaiting On You All” still sounds like an unholy mess, but it’s no longer physically painful to listen to. It actually has a rhythm you can latch onto, instead of being the audio equivalent of that scene in Peter Jackson’s King Kong where a flock of dinosaurs tumbles off a cliff for reasons which are still unclear to me.

It would be impossible to completely de-Spectorize since a lot of his style is printed to tape during the recordings. So when you have a ton of doubling and large ensembles, that's going to come through. A lot of people probably have expectations messed by Let It Be where he did overdubs (and to be honest, he was right except for some of the changes to Let It Be, he loving rescued The Long and Winding Road).

My biggest problem is that the vocals are a little too upfront. They pushed the drums forward too, but I think that's a better change. But the slightly buried vocals helped make the album sound so big.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah and to be clear, I didn't really want a "de-Spectorized" version. At least not at the mixing stage. That just wouldn't be an honest reflection of how the album was made. I feel they toned it down just the right amount here. The mixing was always the biggest problem: quite understandably, they seemed to have a bit of trouble balancing all those elements, at least on a standard release schedule, on equipment that existed in 1970.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

all I know is this is my AotY so far. Not because of the remasters, but so many of the demos/alternate takes are incredible.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This might sound weird, but the new Switchfoot album, interrobang, is honestly amazing and worth a listen to anybody remotely interested in rock music. I basically had the whole thing on repeat over the whole weekend. Any time I wanted to listen to music, it was this. It's been a long time since any album has compelled me to do that.

I think it's a perfectly lean album, no dead weight, no obvious pandering singles, no unnecessary repetition, which gives it replayability. Production is really interesting and fresh. Sort of lo-fi and washed out moody vibe, but with certain things elevated in the mix. Basically everything that's ever kept me interested in the band is concentrated in one burst on this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWD1Xf40zWI

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sorry for the double post, but totally different topic. Although you might get deja vu.

Let It Be is getting the deluxe + remix treatment after all, just shy of 2 months from now, October 15th.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/the-beatles-let-it-be-deluxe-edition-box-set-announced-1235049495/

The main remix aims to be faithful to the Phil Spector version, though like All Things Must Pass it may perhaps see a small percentage reduction in Spector-ness overall.

Also included is apparently a faithful reproduction of the original Glyn Johns mix from 1969, AKA the actual "Get Back" album that was shelved.

Here's the first released track from the Glyn Johns mix (Let It Be remix and a version of Don't Let Me Down are also out):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGTfcPJXpQE

So what I get from this is... Wow, they were right, it sounds like garbage. Seems the main purpose of this mix is going to be convincing us that Phil Spector did nothing wrong. I mean aside from shooting those people.

I have a feeling I'm always going to be a fan of the "Naked" version the most. Yeah, it's kind of revisionist, but it does sound great. Probably will never sound better.

quote:

CD1: Let It Be (new stereo mix of original album)
1: Two Of Us
2: Dig A Pony
3: Across The Universe
4: I Me Mine
5: Dig It
6: Let It Be
7: Maggie Mae
8: I’ve Got A Feeling
9: One After 909
10: The Long And Winding Road
11: For You Blue
12: Get Back

CD2: Get Back – Apple Sessions
1: Morning Camera (Speech – mono) / Two Of Us (Take 4)
2: Maggie Mae / Fancy My Chances With You (Mono)
3: Can You Dig It?
4: I Don’t Know Why I’m Moaning (Speech – mono)
5: For You Blue (Take 4)
6: Let It Be / Please Please Me / Let It Be (Take 10)
7: I’ve Got A Feeling (Take 10)
8: Dig A Pony (Take 14)
9: Get Back (Take 19)
10: Like Making An Album? (Speech)
11: One After 909 (Take 3)
12: Don’t Let Me Down (First rooftop performance)
13: The Long And Winding Road (Take 19)
14: Wake Up Little Susie / I Me Mine (Take 11)

CD3: Get Back – Rehearsals and Apple Jams
1: On The Day Shift Now (Speech – mono) / All Things Must Pass (Rehearsals – mono)
2: Concentrate On The Sound (mono)
3: Gimme Some Truth (Rehearsal – mono)
4: I Me Mine (Rehearsal – mono)
5: She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Rehearsal)
6: Polythene Pam (Rehearsal – mono)
7: Octopus’s Garden (Rehearsal – mono)
8: Oh! Darling (Jam)
9: Get Back (Take 8)
10: The Walk (Jam)
11: Without A Song (Jam) – Billy Preston with John and Ringo
12: Something (Rehearsal – mono)
13: Let It Be (Take 28)

CD4: Get Back LP – 1969 Glyn Johns Mix
1: One After 909
2: I’m Ready (aka Rocker) / Save The Last Dance For Me / Don’t Let Me Down
3: Don’t Let Me Down
4: Dig A Pony
5: I’ve Got A Feeling
6: Get Back
7: For You Blue
8: Teddy Boy
9: Two Of Us
10: Maggie Mae
11: Dig It
12: Let It Be
13: The Long And Winding Road
14: Get Back (Reprise)

CD5: Let It Be EP
1: Across The Universe (unreleased Glyn Johns 1970 mix)
2: I Me Mine (unreleased Glyn Johns 1970 mix)
3: Don’t Let Me Down (new mix of original single version)
4: Let It Be (new mix of original single version)

Blu-ray: Let It Be Special Edition audio mixes
Dolby Atmos
96kHz/24-bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
96kHz/24-bit High Res Stereo (2019 Stereo Mix)

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvwLAPNfXY
Nandi rules. Grohl’s done some fun drum-off videos with her, and this is just awesome seeing her nail Everlong.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

let it be naked owns. every band would sound better if their albums were mixed like eric's trip.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
LET IT BE is a weird one, and probably my least favourite, because it seemed to be the first time they doubted themselves which led to John rushing to Spector. The whole intent was to put out something a little loose and raw, but that's then underdone by some syrupy overdubbing. There's a way you can compliment the songs, but a lot of what Spector does is just him reminding you he's there.

However, to be fair I also don't think the songs are all that great to start with. Had they gone on to make another album as they were originally planning, I don't think they would have lasted too much longer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DrVenkman posted:

LET IT BE is a weird one, and probably my least favourite, because it seemed to be the first time they doubted themselves which led to John rushing to Spector. The whole intent was to put out something a little loose and raw, but that's then underdone by some syrupy overdubbing. There's a way you can compliment the songs, but a lot of what Spector does is just him reminding you he's there.

However, to be fair I also don't think the songs are all that great to start with. Had they gone on to make another album as they were originally planning, I don't think they would have lasted too much longer.

I mean at the end of the day it's essentially a bunch of demos that they didn't want to release and so they went and made a better album instead. But obviously if you're a record exec sitting on a lost Beatles album and you know they'll never make another one, well, of course you're going to find a way to get it out there.

But it does seem pretty clear in hindsight that the collaborative writing process had broken down and they were all moving in different directions. So yeah, another album probably would've been doomed no matter what. Probably would've been indistinguishable from what you could come up with by mashing their solo albums together in a playlist, as some have.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I feel like Phil Spector's contributions get overblown by a lot of people. Most of the songs don't really have any of his flourishes. He seem to know enough when to leave stuff alone.

And I'm going to say it - he saved The Long and Winding Road. When I listen to the Anthology and Naked versions, I hear an incomplete demo. Spector fleshed the thing out and gave it life.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cemetry Gator posted:

I feel like Phil Spector's contributions get overblown by a lot of people. Most of the songs don't really have any of his flourishes. He seem to know enough when to leave stuff alone.

And I'm going to say it - he saved The Long and Winding Road. When I listen to the Anthology and Naked versions, I hear an incomplete demo. Spector fleshed the thing out and gave it life.

The orchestra stabs are good, but the choir sucks. I really like the organ solo on "Naked" too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Manic Street Preachers released their 14th (!) studio album today. I'm taking my time with it but so far I really dig some of the tracks. It's probably going to grow on me a lot more like their other albums do and it has over 6 listens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=771owhDl_Tk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akjgg-WeRak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqqZ-X0vJC4

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Journey is a good band, within reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtywNeF8dCM

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Manic Street Preachers just got their first UK #1 album in 23 years with The Ultra Vivid Lament. The previous one was 1998's This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours which was against the pop band Steps. The Ultra Vivid Lament beat Steps again for the #1 spot. :haw:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
IT'S HAPPENING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdTzOUUZ8Vg

Should this remix appear too slight,
Check the existing stereo mix for quite a fright

EDIT: More details dropped shortly after I posted. Here's the tracklist, releases 10/28/2022:

quote:

CD1: 2022 Mix
1. Taxman (2022 Mix)
2. Eleanor Rigby (2022 Mix)
3. I’m Only Sleeping (2022 Mix)
4. Love You To (2022 Mix)
5. Here, There And Everywhere (2022 Mix)
6. Yellow Submarine (2022 Mix)
7. She Said She Said (2022 Mix)
8. Good Day Sunshine (2022 Mix)
9. And Your Bird Can Sing (2022 Mix)
10. For No One (2022 Mix)
11. Doctor Robert (2022 Mix)
12. I Want To Tell You (2022 Mix)
13. Got To Get You Into My Life (2022 Mix)
14. Tomorrow Never Knows (2022 Mix)

CD2: Sessions
1. Tomorrow Never Knows (Take 1)
2. Tomorrow Never Knows (Mono Mix RM 11)
3. Got To Get You Into My Life (First Version / Take 5)
4. Got To Get You Into My Life (Second Version / Unnumbered Mix)
5. Got To Get You Into My Life (Second Version / Take 8)
6. Love You To (Take 1)
7. Love You To (Unnumbered Rehearsal)
8. Love You To (Take 7)
9. Paperback Writer (Takes 1 & 2 / Backing Track)
10. Rain (Take 5 / Actual Speed)
11. Rain (Take 5 / Slowed Down For Master Tape)
12. Doctor Robert (Take 7)
13. And Your Bird Can Sing (First version / Take 2)
14. And Your Bird Can Sing (First version / Take 2 / Giggling)

CD3: Sessions
1. And Your Bird Can Sing (Second Version / Take 5)
2. Taxman (Take 11)
3. I’m Only Sleeping (Rehearsal Fragment)
4. I’m Only Sleeping (Take 2)
5. I’m Only Sleeping (Take 5)
6. I’m Only Sleeping (Mono Mix RM1)
7. Eleanor Rigby (Speech Before Take 2)
8. Eleanor Rigby (Take 2)
9. For No One (Take 10 / Backing Track)
10. Yellow Submarine (Songwriting Work Tape / Part 1)
11. Yellow Submarine (Songwriting Work Tape / Part 2)
12. Yellow Submarine (Take 4 Before Sound Effects)
13. Yellow Submarine (Highlighted Sound Effects)
14. I Want To Tell You (Speech & Take 4)
15. Here, There And Everywhere (Take 6)
16. She Said She Said (John’s Demo)
17. She Said She Said (Take 15 / Backing Track Rehearsal)

CD4: Mono

CD5: Bonus EP
1. Paperback Writer (2022 Stereo Mix)
2. Rain (2022 Stereo Mix)
3. Paperback Writer (Mono)
4. Rain (Mono)

And as usual, Rolling Stone got an exclusive. Some of this stuff sounds truly wild:

quote:

Brace yourself: Everything we thought we knew about “Yellow Submarine” is wrong. The whole world agrees on the standard origin story — a Paul ditty whipped up fast as an Uncle Ringo kiddie chant, something John grimly tolerated. But don’t be shocked if you catch yourself shedding a tear hearing John sing it. The chorus was Paul, but the verses started out as John in his sad confessional mode, with folkie guitar picking. He sings, “In the place where I was born/No one cared, no one cared/And the name that I was born/No one cared, no one cared.” The demo, on his home tape recorder, is a heart-wrenching childhood memory ballad, halfway between “Julia” and “Strawberry Fields Forever.” 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/the-beatles-revolver-unheard-archives-sheffield-1234587264/

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 8, 2022

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/blink182/status/1579805755217059840?s=46&t=gywXoKq0_hhm8mtglnyAyg
whoa Tom’s back

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Beach Boys have another box set out soon, Sail on Sailor, which covers the end of their truly original era. A year after Holland, Endless Summer was released and it's been nostalgia since then.

Unless they go back to the pre-Pet Sounds era, there isn't anywhere else to go with them that hasn't been beat do death or would be commercially viable. And I'm not sure how much pre-Pet Sounds outtakes are available that haven't already been released. One of the songs in this set, Rooftop Harry, was only rediscovered in the past few years.

The listing for the super deluxe CD box

quote:

CD 1
CARL AND THE PASSIONS - “SO TOUGH”

1. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone
2. Here She Comes
3. He Come Down
4. Marcella
5. Hold On Dear Brother
6. Make It Good
7. All This Is That
8. Cuddle Up

CARL AND THE PASSIONS - “SO TOUGH” BONUS TRACKS (Previously Unreleased)
9. The Road Not Taken (demo - previously unreleased)
10. All This Is That (a Cappella mix - previously unreleased)
11. He Come Down (2022 mix - previously unreleased)
12. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone (track and backing vocals)
13. Marcella (a Cappella mix - previously unreleased)
14. Make It Good (alternate mix with Intro - previously unreleased)
15. Cuddle Up (alternate mix - previously unreleased)
16. Carl and the Passions /Pet Sounds Promo (1972)

CD 2
HOLLAND

1. Sail On Sailor
2. Steamboat
3. California Saga - Big Sur
4. California Saga - The Beaks Of Eagles
5. California Saga - California
6. The Trader
7. Leaving This Town
8. Only With You
9. Funky Pretty

MOUNT VERNON AND FAIRWAY (A FAIRYTALE)
By Brian Wilson (Please listen in the dark)
10. Mount Vernon And Fairway Theme
11. I’m The Pied Piper - Instrumental
12. Better Get Back In Bed
13. Magic Transistor Radio
14. I’m The Pied Piper
15. Radio King Dom

HOLLAND BONUS TRACKS (Previously Unreleased)
16. We Got Love (2022 mix - previously unreleased)
17. Hard Time (previously unreleased)
18. Carry Me Home (previously unreleased)
19. California Saga - The Beaks Of Eagles (1973 single mix - previously unreleased)
20. California Saga - California (1973 single mix)
21. Sail On Sailor (track - previously unreleased 2022 mix)
22. Holland Promo 1 (1973)

CD 3
THE BEACH BOYS LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL
(Previously Unreleased)
November 23, 1972

1st Set
1. Concert Intro: Jack Rieley
2. Sloop John B
3. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone
4. Leaving This Town
5. Darlin’
6. Only With You
7. Heroes and Villains
8. Long Promised Road
9. Don’t Worry, Baby
10. Student Demonstration Time
11. I Get Around

CD 4
THE BEACH BOYS LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL
(Previously Unreleased)
November 23, 1972

2nd Set
1. Intro to 2nd Set: Jack Rieley
2. Marcella
3. California Saga - California
4. Help Me, Rhonda
5. Let The Wind Blow
6. Medley: Wonderful / Don’t Worry, Bill
7. God Only Knows
8. Do It Again
9. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
10. Wild Honey
11. Good Vibrations
12. California Girls
13. Surfin’ USA
14. Fun Fun Fun
15. Jumpin’ Jack Flash

CD 5
1972 SESSIONS (Previously Unreleased)

1. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone (a Capella mix - previously unreleased)
2. Marcella (track and backing vocals - previously unreleased)
3. Here She Comes (session excerpt - previously unreleased)
4. Here She Comes (2022 mix - previously unreleased)
5. He Come Down (a Cappella section - previously unreleased)
6. Hold On Dear Brother (track and backing vocals - previously unreleased)
7. Steamboat (track and backing vocals - previously unreleased)
8. California Saga - California (track and backing vocals - previously unreleased)
9. The Trader (track and backing vocals - previously unreleased)
10. The Trader (second section a Cappella - previously unreleased)
11. Only With You (alternate mix - previously unreleased)
12. Funky Pretty (track and backing vocals - previously unreleased)
13. Sail On Sailor (songwriting session - previously unreleased)
14. Sail On Sailor (a Cappella mix - previously unreleased)
15. Out In The Country (version 1) (previously unreleased)
16. Out In The Country (version 2) (previously unreleased)
17. Oh Sweet Something (previously unreleased)
18. Spark in the Dark (previously unreleased track)
19. Rooftop Harry (previously unreleased track)
20. Body Talk (Grease Job) (previously unreleased track)
21. Holland Promo 2 (1973)

CD 6
LIVE BONUS TRACKS

1. We Got Love (Live 1973 - previously unreleased)
2. California Saga - Big Sur (Live 1973 - previously unreleased)
3. Funky Pretty (Live 1973 - previously unreleased)
4. The Trader (Live 1975 - previously unreleased)
5. Sail On Sailor (Live 1975 - previously unreleased)
6. All This Is That (Live 1993 - previously unreleased)

MOUNT VERNON AND FAIRWAY (A FAIRYTALE) SESSIONS (Previously Unreleased)
7. Fairy Tale Music (2022 mix - previously unreleased)
8. Pa Let Her Go Out (Better Get Back In Bed alternate version with intro - previously unreleased)
9. I’m The Pied Piper (a Cappella section - previously unreleased)
10. Radio King Dom (a Cappella section - previously unreleased)
11. I’m The Pied Piper (alternate take spoken section – previously unreleased)
12. Medley: Mount Vernon and Fairway Theme / A Casual Look (session excerpt – previously unreleased)

1972 BONUS TRACKS (Previously Unreleased)
13. Little Child (Daddy Dear) (Holland home recording)
14. Susie Cincinnati (Holland home recording)
15. Medley: Gimme Some Lovin' / I Need Your Love

CALIFORNIA SAGA TRILOGY
16 California Saga – Big Sur
17. California Saga – The Beaks of Eagles (2022 edit – previously unreleased)
18. California Saga – California
19. Carry Me Home (track and backing vocals – previously unreleased)
20. All This Is That (a Capella alternate verse – previously unreleased)

There's just not much here I want. I have all their albums through 1980. Holland is my second favorite Beach Boys album, but I have no need for another copy of it. The concert does nothing for me and there isn't enough bonus material.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not sure where else to post this but I just wanted to say, this has been a weird year for Weezer. The first 3 "seasons" EPs were pretty much as lame as expected. But I feel like the Winter one might actually be really good? It's the only one that actually sounds like a real band playing and there are songs on it that I actually remember and want to hear again. "Basketball" and "The Deep and Dreamless Sleep" seem like particular highlights.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sir Lemming posted:

Not sure where else to post this but I just wanted to say, this has been a weird year for Weezer. The first 3 "seasons" EPs were pretty much as lame as expected. But I feel like the Winter one might actually be really good? It's the only one that actually sounds like a real band playing and there are songs on it that I actually remember and want to hear again. "Basketball" and "The Deep and Dreamless Sleep" seem like particular highlights.

Weezer's gimmick their entire career has been to occasionally threaten to be a good band. I fell for it on Pinkerton and that's where it stops for me. Everything they do somehow manages to make me roll my eyes harder than the thing before. That OK Computer album was just, get hosed

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Not sure what thread to post this in, but I've been really getting into Pearl Jam after being aware of them but basically ignoring them my whole life

It's harsh, but I always saw them as "the other Grunge band that isn't Nirvana" (I'm slightly, although not radically younger than a lot of Goons I think - my musical awakening was really in the post punk revival indie sleaze era e.g. bloc Party, yeah yeah yeah etc - this stuff was all before my time)

As unpopular an opinion it may be, but I think Ten is just fine - I'm sure it was groundbreaking at the time but I'm just like, yeah, sure. Whereas I'm really enjoying a lot of their music on albums that fans seem to hate? Like All or None from Riot Act (I should probably say, hearing this song on the Last of Us TV show is what started this whole kick, yes I know Future Days in the game but didn't leave as much of an impression on me), and I really like a LOT of No Code, which everyone seems to loving hate. Just Breathe is great too, and Dance of the Clairvoyants on their latest album

The TLDR is just that I discovered Pearl Jam have a lot more of a varied discography than I gave them credit for, as much as the stuff that stays within their lane seems to have always been most popular

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I really like Pearl Jam. I grew up when they were at the their heyday so no surprise I guess. Still, I'm happy to hear that somebody younger than me is enjoying them. I keep going back to Ten; I've listened to it enough that I automatically try to sing along (my singing is pretty poor so I mostly do this when I'm alone) and from time to time certain lyrics will just pop into my head.

Evenflow.... thoughts arrive like butterflies...

Fake Edit: oh look the whole album is up on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-cRKgcTFfI

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've always been at odds with the "Eddie Vedder voice" (though it goes back at least as far as Iron Butterfly) so I always passed on them, but objectively they obviously have a lot of talent. I should really go through their catalog some day.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
As someone who has been enjoying it I do feel it grates after a while too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
#itshappening

The teased "final Beatles song" has finally been officially announced.

As many predicted, it's "Now and Then" a Lennon demo which they had worked on in 1995 along with the other 2 Anthology tracks, but abandoned. Releases November 2 (less than a week!) with some kind of premiere event the night before.

Here's the most interesting bit from the announcement:

https://www.thebeatles.com/announcement

quote:

The story of “Now And Then” begins in the late 1970s, when John recorded a demo with vocals and piano at his home in New York’s Dakota Building. In 1994, his wife, Yoko Ono Lennon, gave the recording to Paul, George and Ringo, along with John’s demos for “Free As A Bird” and “Real Love,” which were both completed as new Beatles songs and respectively released as singles in 1995 and 1996, as part of The Beatles Anthology project. At the same time, Paul, George and Ringo also recorded new parts and completed a rough mix for “Now And Then” with producer Jeff Lynne. At that point, technological limitations prevented John’s vocals and piano from being separated to achieve the clear, unclouded mix needed to finish the song. “Now And Then” was shelved, with a hope that one day it would be revisited.

Cut to 2021, and the release of “The Beatles: Get Back” docuseries, directed by Peter Jackson, which astonished viewers with its award-winning film and audio restoration. Using WingNut Films’ MAL audio technology, Jackson’s team had de-mixed the film’s mono soundtrack, managing to isolate instruments and vocals, and all the individual voices within The Beatles’ conversations. This achievement opened the way to 2022’s new mix of Revolver, sourced directly from the four-track master tapes. This led on to a question: what could now be done with the “Now And Then” demo? Peter Jackson and his sound team, led by Emile de la Rey, applied the same technique to John’s original home recording, preserving the clarity and integrity of his original vocal performance by separating it from the piano.

In 2022, Paul and Ringo set about completing the song. Besides John’s vocal, “Now And Then” includes electric and acoustic guitar recorded in 1995 by George, Ringo’s new drum part, and bass, guitar and piano from Paul, which matches John’s original playing. Paul added a slide guitar solo inspired by George; he and Ringo also contributed backing vocals to the chorus.

In Los Angeles, Paul oversaw a Capitol Studios recording session for the song’s wistful, quintessentially Beatles string arrangement, written by Giles Martin, Paul and Ben Foster. Paul and Giles also added one last, wonderfully subtle touch: backing vocals from the original recordings of “Here, There And Everywhere,” “Eleanor Rigby” and “Because,” woven into the new song using the techniques perfected during the making of the LOVE show and album. The finished track was produced by Paul and Giles, and mixed by Spike Stent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgFTpwB_uII

(Oh, and also they're remixing the "Red & Blue" greatest hits albums. Which could definitely have some neat stuff too!)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
https://youtu.be/AW55J2zE3N4?si=_fI6VMgorKlUDS9o

https://youtu.be/Opxhh9Oh3rg?si=30Oy29q5UGt4zgxX

https://youtu.be/APJAQoSCwuA?si=4OfPAweHTiOiBGk1

Lifelong Beatles fan. My favorite music, without qualification.

I’ll be honest, the first time hearing it, I was of course moved by John’s vocals. But I mostly didn’t like it. A few more listens and it grew on me a bit. But watching the music video killed me.

Didn’t like the parts dropping archival John and George footage photoshopped into the present at first. But just like the song, it got me in the end. :cry:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New Gaslight Anthem album is bad although better than Get Hurt at least. They were always old-fashioned but now they just feel old

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Now and Then isn't bad, but it's not as good as Free as a Bird and Real Love (let alone their best work in the 60s, of course). There's a case to be made that it's still an impressive achievement, given what they were working with; the original Lennon demo was kind of a pile of half-formed ideas (not to mention the electrical buzzing).

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
the best rock album of the last 10 years came out 10 years ago, and it's AM by the arctic monkeys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It's a few months old, but basically there's a new U2 track (ft Brittany Howard) that plays at the end of each U2 show in Vegas at the moment. Apparently will be released in the next RSD wave.

I know they're working with Brian Eno a little for some of the UV show stuff and I kinda get that vibe here. Hopefully he's on the next album too.

Anyway it's very chill (and almost no Bono) so I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlqs6GVXO0

(edit this is a live recording so the first 30 seconds has the band waving off and leaving the stage with some crowd noise)