Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

"after me fifth beans on toast and third trip to the loo to drop another brown moses, i decided to have a laugh by seeing what was happening on google maps."

"cor blimey, the lion of syria was really in for it now! me and the lads ran to our blogging stations, fingers twitching with delight. all hand on deck."

"look mate, im a big fan of labor but what do you want me to do now? i says to him. worst mistake i ever done made."

"some might say he was putin on the ritz, but i wasnt about to let it slide like that not on me life."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

The Arab Spring raised what was to become the most serious news question of the digital age: verification. How to say if this stuff was true? How to know what you were looking at?

I was asking myself this same question at my admin job in Leicester, where I spent downtime at my desk viewing live-streaming video, filmed from a hotel window over Tahrir Square. The police pushed back protesters, then the police were themselves repelled, creating an odd theatre: crowds rolling out, crowds rolling in, tear gas fogging the scene, rocks soaring through the air, water cannons spraying.

Long before, I had considered becoming a journalist, perhaps even covering stories like this from the ground. But I had not thrived at college and dropped out, taking a series of office jobs that left me unsatisfied. From afar, I watched politicians and celebrities and journalists as if they were another breed. I found no place in the larger world, and had no prospect of ever having an impact. Instead, I took refuge in online video games, which I played with obsessive devotion, organising large groups of players spread across various countries. But when 9/11 happened, my interests shifted. News was happening so fast, and papers were so slow. I wanted to know more, and discovered an online message board, Something Awful, that was full of argument and insight on almost any topic imaginable. I gained a new obsession: current affairs. By 2011, the most compelling part of my day came each morning, when I arrived far too early at the office. Alone at my computer, I scoured the internet for the latest updates on the Arab Spring.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

DISARMING THE TRAPS

Robert Evans grew up in Oklahoma and Texas around the turn of the millennium, raised in a conservative Christian family whose values he imbibed. During an abortive stint at college, he drifted far from his childhood politics and closer to his childhood passion: the internet. He dabbled in tech journalism, then wrote irreverent newsy pieces for Cracked.com, and did conflict reporting from Ukraine, Iraq and Syria. When he discovered Bellingcat, he became fascinated with this new form of reporting. Soon, he was pitching me articles on an area of his expertise: the far-right online. Robert did not offer technically stunning geolocations or measurements of shadowlines to tell the time. He parsed what fascists actually said to each other on social media. His goal was to explain how a subculture of young men became radicalised on message boards, and to warn the news media against informational traps set by extremist trolls. Robert’s explanatory investigations were to become the most read Bellingcat pieces to date.
Thirty years later, white supremacy gained indirect traction through the Gamergate controversy of 2014, when a faction of male videogamers complained that elites in the industry were favouring women and progressives. This degenerated into harassment of female game developers, prompting 4chan to ban the subject. 4channers who were obsessed with the subject transferred to an even more extreme chat site, 8chan. Robert first visited 8chan around this time, and was taken aback by its misogyny, its doxxing and the ‘raids’ conducted by its members. As a teenager, Robert had frequented Something Awful, where he and fellow youths launched ‘raids’ – online swarms – against those they deemed worthy of punishment, such as a company that hosted paedophile websites. Adolescents who were otherwise virtually powerless in their everyday lives found themselves impacting the world when they united on the internet; it was addictive. But Gamergate diverged from what Robert knew of online raids, applying the same harassment but to intimidate women who had simply spoken out.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

someone photoshop the screen to a anime babe with big titties to own his rear end. no other reasons.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

it's tim AND eric not tim CROSS eric

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

However, we wanted something besides the phone numbers of police officers and lawyers. We wanted decision-makers to heed the information available online. I can never forget the woeful debate in parliament over whether to intervene militarily in Syria, when British legislators knew almost nothing of the reams of evidence that any citizen could access. Powerbrokers needed to know of the Bellingcat method, and I saw a way to spread the word.

Maks Czuperski, a young staffer at the Atlantic Council, the influential Washington-based think tank, knew of my work on Syria and Russia, and asked me if Bellingcat would embark on a joint project with them. This, I realised, could provide the boost that we wanted, showing the powerful figures who circulated around the Atlantic Council that we were more than online amateurs. Our first collaboration was a major report in May 2015, ‘Hiding in Plain Sight: Putin’s War in Ukraine’, about Russia’s direct military involvement in eastern Ukraine. The work made waves, and soon I was travelling the globe explaining these findings and what exactly Bellingcat did. I spoke at the Ukrainian parliament, in a journalism conference in Norway, the European Parliament in Brussels, to officials of the International Criminal Court in The Hague, in Silicon Valley. As someone from a humble background who had dropped out of college, I had never found myself in such circles. While they learned of Bellingcat, I learned how their world worked.

Two other major Atlantic Council reports followed: ‘Distract Deceive Destroy: Putin at War in Syria’ (2016), and ‘Breaking Aleppo’ (2017), about the Assad regime’s devastation of the city. Another consequence of my period as a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council was our creation of the Digital Forensic Research Lab, today a leading incubator of open-source innovation, with its annual ‘Digital Sherlocks’ summit bringing together online sleuths from around the world.

lol Bellingcat got money because the UK Parliament voted not to go to war with Syria

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
digital jäeger

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Is it just me or does he look a lot like lowtax

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

a Loving Dog posted:

someone photoshop the screen to a anime babe with big titties to own his rear end. no other reasons.

i want a photo of young brown Moses sitting in front of a laptop but the laptop is a gif loop of isis beheadings

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Digital Jacker.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
"an intelligence agency for the people"? I thought they are doing journalism. :thunk:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
also a free pass to call BM an intelligence asset

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

a Loving Dog posted:

it should be this

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
bellingshat

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

if you google "brown moses" elliot higgins shows up before the racist frank zappa song. this is what the joker warned us about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
god already punished this man by making him look exactly like you'd think he would