Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
...and apparently it's into it, because it seems to think nothing's wrong.

For the last week or so, opening any streaming video service (youtube, twitch, etc) results in a video that has about a 70% chance to be a choppy unwatchable mess and a 100% chance to slow the rest of my browser and every other program on my computer - internet connected or no - to a crawl. Task manager and resource monitor indicate nothing unusual going on with my system while this is happening (cpu/memory/hd usage/etc not exceeding ~30%) and a speedtest reports nothing particularly weird going on with my internet connection.

I've rebooted my computer and router, no dice. This happens in multiple browsers. Weirdly, having the stream open in a different browser by itself usually allows the stream itself to be relatively watchable, but it still strangles every other program on my computer. I also tried disabling windows defender in case this was some weird firewall issue - also nothing. Any ideas on what to check next would be greatly appreciated.

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 16GB
CPU: Intel core i5-2320 @ 3.00GHz (this is the oldest part of my setup and was my first suspect)
OS: Windows 10, most recent update (updating was one of the first things i tried)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I think I've gotten on to something, but I need an HDMI cable to check. I'll report back in an hour or two if it fixes it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I'm a blithering idiot.

Like most neckbeards I have a dual monitor setup. For some reason instead of having two HDMI cables so both could be connected to my graphics card, I had one VGA connected to my motherboard and one HDMI to my graphics card. I can't remember which was connected to which monitor, but about a week ago (right before the problem started!), one of my monitors developed a very minor cosmetic issue so I switched their positions on my desk.

I usually play videos on my second monitor. I kept them on the same cables, which meant my second monitor now had the VGA out. I noticed what was going on because while I was wiggling a chrome tab in frustration I noticed that whenever the video was on my main monitor (connected to the graphics card via HDMI) the problem stopped.

I got a second HDMI cable. Problem's gone. I hate my life.

TL;DR: Hey dumbass make sure your setup is actually using that expensive graphics card