Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Luka Modric - 178 - Everything evolves around the 35 year old Real Madrid midfielder. He's still great but Ancelotti will probably get rid of him and these are probably his last games for the national team.

Marcelo Brozović - 174 - Reliable box to box midfielder at Inter.

Ivan Perišić - 178 - Another Inter player, a winger who can pass and score and sometimes still outrun defenders, but he's 32 now.

Dominik Livaković - 169 - Dinamo Zagreb keeper, decent.

Andrej Kramarić - 177 - Hoffenheim forward and a great scorer but doesn't seem to fit well with the national team

Mateo Kovačić - 186 - Chelsea midfielder who prospered greatly under Tuchel but doesn't seem to fit well with the national team

Mario Pašalić - Atalanta midfielder who was on fire this year but doesn't seem to fit well with the national team

Zlatko Dalić - 170 - The coach is a nice person and a good Christian but despite all the talent available, can't assemble a functioning midfield.

Šime Vrsaljko - 175 - RB. Was one of the best players in 2018 but after a long injury is severely out of form. Hasn't been a starter for Atletico Madrid since forever.

Borna Barišić - 179 - LB for Glasgow Rangers. Any good? You tell me.

Bruno Petković - 185 - Strong forward, good technique, can withstand pressure, can dribble. Note I didn't say anything about actually scoring goals.

Croatia is unlikely to ever again repeat the WC 2018 success, but might reach quarter finals with some luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Croatia are good lads who are going to beat England again and that's all they need to do.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Is my man Ante Rebic going to be playing? He saved Milan’s rear end many times last season.

Also, am I hallucinating it or do you draw these comics?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Yeah, Rebić hasn't been so consistent with the national team, but he's a likely starter. Rebić, Perišić, and Oršić all prefer left wing so it's crowded there.
Too bad Mandžukić didn't leave any impression in Milan, I was hoping for an Ibra - Mandzo - Rebic attack.

I don't draw them but I'm the editor of the album. Basically, I tell artists how to draw them.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

That was pretty bad. Watched the game in a bar with a small TV so I didn't see it all that well.

Kramarić was useless up front and it looked like we wouldn't score in 900 minutes. I hope the lack of ideas is at least partly due to the lack of desire to end at the top of the group and cross paths with the group of death.

Surprised to see young Gvardiol start but I'm glad too. We didn't have a good LB since Jarni retired 20 years ago. Now we have Barišić who is decent and three up and coming: Gvardiol - 19 - RB Lepizig, Bradarić - 21 - Lille, Sosa - 23 - Stuttgart. Fun fact: Borna Sosa accepted the offer to switch to Germany earlier this year and this was presented in the media as a done deal. He explained his decision, Germany director gave a statement, Croatian manager reacted, Croatian FA commented, fans shitposted, the whole package. Then it turns out that Germans didn't check the regulations well and that Sosa isn't eligible to play for them. LOL at DFB

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 13, 2021

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Again Rebić up front (he was in the first game too, I didn't see well), trying to catch crosses even though he's shorter than Czech centre backs, and isn't good in the air. Again Kramarić out of position and harmless. Perišić on the right wing!? Lovren taking free kicks? That was one of the worst 45 minutes of Croatia I've seen in many years. Outplayed by an inferior team because the manager had shuffled players around randomly.

The second half was better, subs made a difference. Maybe next time, I don't know, try putting the striker up front, left wing on the left side, and so on -- from the start?

Dalić is trash. After the tournament he'll be sacked and will continue the career of motivational speeches and selling chocolate. No respectable club will take him.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

These lads are looking forward to packing their bags and getting spremni for the Airbus za dom.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Who would've thought - if you let the team play in a natural way, they will defeat an objectively weaker side... Keep Vlašić in, Kramarić out. Don't put Rebić on Petković's place. Juranović was a good call.
And Modrić is god, almost 36 years, full 90 minutes, attack and defense, beautiful goal.

biglads posted:

These lads are looking forward to packing their bags and getting spremni for the Airbus za dom.

Probably after the next game.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Is it true that Modric now holds the record for the youngest person to score a goal for Croatia in the Euros and also the oldest person?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I read that too. And that he and CR are the only players who scored on Euro 2008 and this one.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

gently caress, we were seconds away from getting Sweden. Now we're going against Spain.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

gently caress, we were seconds away from getting Sweden. Now we're going against Spain.

Maybe the Spain of the first two games shows up though. Just have to hope that their manager continues to put Morata in the lineup.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Croatia sneers at Spanish triangles and responds with squares.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Perišić tested positive for Covid today. :(

I was relatively optimistic about our chances until that. We've been playing like turds since the WC 2018 but we tend to play better in decisive games. Also, we have a decent score against Spain.
Lovren is also missing because of yellow cards so we'll have a defense that never played together. Overall I give us 30%

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

edit: wrong thread so changing this to gently caress spain

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

What, bookies are giving us 6 to 1? Hell, we have pretty good left wings even without Perišić. And we defeated Spain on the last Euro with our B side. Not saying that we're favorites to win, but 6 to 1? I'll put some money on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Better to go out like that than in a 0-1 game. It was a crazy game, but also a poo poo game. Rebić was poo poo, Gvardiol was poo poo, Brozović had a bad day. Dalić put everything together poorly again and I hope he leaves. He's saying he needs to talk with the players before deciding.

Modrić will also take some time to rest before deciding. Luka, stay!