Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Who What Now posted:

No I mean how do they physically make those sounds they don't have any lips!

I just tested this for :science:

With my mouth open, I held my lips apart and still with the thumb and forefinger of one hand.

I was able to say, "My name is Nuggets and I'm a dig fat chicken." (I couldn't say the letter 'B', but as ventriloquists do, it can be fudged.)

Of course I don't have a beak, so my experiment proved nothing useful, but I enjoyed trying to talk like a bird trying to talk like a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

everyone shut the gently caress up and listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXKR9EWhXo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Who What Now posted:

So they got throat lips. Thank you for finally explaining this in a way that normal everyday Americans can understand

Pokemon work the same way.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Can birbs use they throat lips to guzzle glizz or no plz hurry this 4 a good friend of mine

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
OPs mom has throat lips and she gave the whole John Galt speech while gulping my dong.

OK, it wasn’t the whole speech but she was a good 75% the way through before I couldn’t take it anymore and busted.

Elburroman
Dec 27, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

Can birbs use they throat lips to guzzle glizz or no plz hurry this 4 a good friend of mine

your alright big beef

- a bird i buy drug from

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010
There was a myna bird at the mall in the 1970's that my dad and his friends taught swear words to. He said you could hear it screaming "gently caress YOU!" Throughout the mall.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

what did ur dad try to teach it that would make it react that way?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Birds talk like humans, but it is so painful that they have to take drugs, bishop, look at this bird.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

wrong about plants too

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d3dOam9Hg4

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Junk posted:

if i was a scatologist i would definitely refer to myself as a "turd nerd" every chance i get

I collect coprolites. I qualify for this term. I will now proceed to use it whenever I can.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Genesplicer posted:

I collect coprolites. I qualify for this term. I will now proceed to use it whenever I can.

Ok everybody, so "turd nerd" is the slur we’ve all agreed to call the admins, and th- OH poo poo GENE CAN SEE US!

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Been a fan of this birb and her boop boops for awhile

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean
Op, consider that hi-fi speakers don't have lips or tongues either and you'll be on the right track

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It would be great if from ancient times before there were tape recorders, people used birds and had the birds pass the voice on to other generations of birds, so you could conceivably hear the actual voice of a dead person from centuries ago.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Someone explain trex wiping their rear end to me

They got such tiny arms! how do they do it? they can't reach back there! Like we got long stretchy arms and toilet paper, and dictionaries, trex doesn't have a dictionary! I'm not 2 stories tall and covered in feathers, i don't know how they do it!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Revins posted:

Been a fan of this birb and her boop boops for awhile

I’m drinking my coffee out of official fable merch mug right now!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If birds can talk and birds are dinosaurs, could dinosaurs talk?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Genesplicer posted:

Are... are we just part of your collection?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing you don't want to do is burn something on a nonstick pan next to canary's.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This is very interesting because while my experience is with very different birds (big parrots), the body language is very familiar. It's weird, because ravens are, I think mostly predatory meat-eaters and scavengers and the birds I know are mostly fruit eaters, but the way they express affection, humor and love are extremely similar.

I see that bird being loving and friendly on her shoulder, and it looks extremely familiar. I did used to be friends with a family of wild crows are they were incredibly clever, loyal, brave and serious.
Crows are nothing to mess with, they are astonishingly clever and individual personalities.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
bird talk so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

crusty posted:

Op, consider that hi-fi speakers don't have lips or tongues either and you'll be on the right track

I don't get them either!