Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

7 April, 2154

You load up everything but red squadron and set off spinward to search a nearby trio of asteroids.

The pair of pirate boats trail you, keeping their distance. This neighborhood is pretty small, so you quickly bring all three rocks under Ashes' big, high-res sensor. Nothing is picked up, but you'll need to search more closely to find any smaller targets that may be present. The first stop, Messalina, comes up dry.

Trying to conserve fuel, you come near Tauris as well. Again, nothing of interest on sensors. The Hands are interposed between you and Argentina now.

You set course for your final destination, Charybdis. The command deck starts to grow antsy - are you going to burn all your fuel up checking out dead rocks?

It seems not! As you approach Charybdis, you get close enough for Ashes to pick up a smallish contact. You can't exactly tell what the ship is, but it's sitting cold over the asteroid. You continue on for about an hour before receiving a broadcast from it. Evidently they've noticed your active sensor.

Howdy there, we see you heading this way. This is the salvage boat Ave. Just so you know, Li Ji told us we get the rights to this rock. You'll hafta find your own. And if y'all are with the Hands, we're paid up for at least the next quarter-spin, so you might want to check with your boss before, uh, deciding we're a prize. Please respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fray posted:

The Hands are interposed between you and Argentina now.

Could we squeeze them by having red squadron fly directly towards them and see if we can force a surrender?

Also, is it worth trying to bluff the miner that we're not, in fact, with Li Ji but would appreciate a payoff from either them or collect it from her?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Are they likely going to have any sort of information useful when it comes to the pirates/their operations? Then again if they put out something like a distress call it might get a bigger response.

Also if they do surrender hey we get a prize of a salvage ship.

I think what we're after now is mostly information (well also fuel).

So suggestions from here Central Command?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Well they seem to be in contact with Ji Li directly, so they might be able to at least point us toward their base. I say pump him for information, and his cooperation means that in the ensuing space battle that's sure to commence soon, he can be first on the scene with a salvage boat to pick over the scraps.

mithrasoflego
Dec 30, 2017

Volmarias posted:

Could we squeeze them by having red squadron fly directly towards them and see if we can force a surrender?

Also, is it worth trying to bluff the miner that we're not, in fact, with Li Ji but would appreciate a payoff from either them or collect it from her?

I am very much for this course of action. We can talk to the salvage boat once we've seen what we can get from the pirates directly.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Good with it - how do we get them to cooperate though and not just throw out a distress call ot the pirates and warn them waht we're up to? Thena gain, we do have a light cruiser and two ships of assault troops..

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

wedgekree posted:

Good with it - how do we get them to cooperate though and not just throw out a distress call ot the pirates and warn them waht we're up to? Thena gain, we do have a light cruiser and two ships of assault troops..

"kill all relative motion to nearest asteroid and prepare to be boarded." keep it simple.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

"kill all relative motion to nearest asteroid and prepare to be boarded." keep it simple.

Don't forget the customary "Yarrrrr!"

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So what's our specific plan going to be then folks?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I suppose our choices her ecome down to - do we want to go at them softly (carrot) or hard (stick). Do we want to threaten them (we have guns, we're coming to board, etc, disable them with Red squadron) or do we try and butter them up (we say we'll give them exclsive salvage, we can make it so they don't have to pay protection, etc etc).

So ultimately we can narrow odwn the particulars of how we go about it but how do we want to go about it, and what are our general options with each? We need some sort of idea here.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

wedgekree posted:

I suppose our choices her ecome down to - do we want to go at them softly (carrot) or hard (stick). Do we want to threaten them (we have guns, we're coming to board, etc, disable them with Red squadron) or do we try and butter them up (we say we'll give them exclsive salvage, we can make it so they don't have to pay protection, etc etc).

So ultimately we can narrow odwn the particulars of how we go about it but how do we want to go about it, and what are our general options with each? We need some sort of idea here.

imo go in hard but not violent.

we're not going to negotiate with each random salvager, we have the big stick so they do what we say. we aren't going to hurt them but we need information about the pirates and we need it fast, and if that takes some threatening so be it.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

sebmojo posted:

imo go in hard but not violent.

we're not going to negotiate with each random salvager, we have the big stick so they do what we say. we aren't going to hurt them but we need information about the pirates and we need it fast, and if that takes some threatening so be it.

I like this.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Works for me!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Signed off on as well.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Hey everyone. I decided I should drop in. Over the summer my family started dealing with some serious medical issues. That and my own anxiety problems are the reason I haven't been running this. Although the LP is on hiatus, I don't want to consider it dead - this is a story I want to see the end of. Don't know when I might resume. My wife will soon have a surgery which, if successful, might get us back to normal late this year. We'll just have to see. I hope to see you all again whenever this starts again.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Oof, I'm sorry to hear that. No worries re the game, life comes first. Best wishes to your wife, and I hope it gets better soon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Hope your family medical stuff gets handled and everyone is better. I'm still eagerly awaiting more content!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Fray posted:

Hey everyone. I decided I should drop in. Over the summer my family started dealing with some serious medical issues. That and my own anxiety problems are the reason I haven't been running this. Although the LP is on hiatus, I don't want to consider it dead - this is a story I want to see the end of. Don't know when I might resume. My wife will soon have a surgery which, if successful, might get us back to normal late this year. We'll just have to see. I hope to see you all again whenever this starts again.

Sending best wishes for all involved - we'll be here whenever you're ready to pick back up again!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I'm so sorry for things and I hope they get better. Take all the time you need. Real life comes first.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

As others have said, real life comes first. Here's hoping everything gets better!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fray posted:

just posting to say i hope things are going ok for you Fray :shobon:

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

sebmojo posted:

just posting to say i hope things are going ok for you Fray :shobon:

Thanks for the concern, and things did go well fortunately. So last summer my wife was diagnosed with this awful poo poo and had intracranial bypass surgery to restore bloodflow in the brain. Last week we did 6-month followup imaging to confirm the bypass was holding and that we wouldn't need to go through it again for the other hemisphere. So things are looking good and I'm looking forward to resuming this. I'll probably still adopt a cautious pace though, at least initially.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Well it is good to hear that your wife is better.
Such a terrible disease with such innocent name...

Take your time, don't rush.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Glad to hear it's holding up!

Also glad to hear that this might continue, but that pales in comparison.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Jesenjin posted:

Well it is good to hear that your wife is better.
Such a terrible disease with such innocent name...

Take your time, don't rush.

Agreed, very glad to hear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Hey, great to hear from you and really glad that your wife is doing better. Thanks for the update!