Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Problem description: When playing the Japanese version of PSO2: NGS, my Bluetooth controller will disconnect and refuse to ever reconnect. After this happens, virtually everything I try and do becomes laggier, from switching windows to even moving my mouse. When my mouse cursor lags, it's accompanied by a low-ish, soft-ish repeated beeping sound, played through my speakers. The beeping plays while my mouse cursor is lagging, and stops when it returns to normal responsiveness. The only fix I've found is restarting my whole PC, which makes everything behave perfectly normally until it happens again. The most recent time that I restarted my PC, I noticed "Universal Mouse Driver" briefly hold up the shutdown process. I play quite a few games with a controller (examples: Dark Souls Remastered, DS3, Hitman 2, Outer Wilds) and this has never happened with any others. I have also had my controller disconnect and reconnect a few times, which I put down to the foibles of Bluetooth, but I don't remember noticing that happen during anything other than PSO2 either.

The occurrence of this problem doesn't seem to be based on time spent playing the game. I've had it not happen at all over a few hours of continuous play, but I've also had it happen after just five minutes. The problem doesn't seem to be in my controller - the lights blink to show that it's searching for a connection, it just doesn't find one, and after restarting my PC it works just fine again.

I don't know if this is related, but I've also been having a weird issue where my controller will remain connected but some or all of the buttons/sticks will stop responding until I tab out and back in. Even just hitting alt+tab to bring up the list of windows and tabbing back to the game without switching to anything else first is good enough to fix it. This also happened with the 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ that I used before. This one happens with quite a few games, including PSO2. I would have assumed it's something in the background briefly stealing focus, but that wouldn't explain why it sometimes only affects half of the buttons, like it might disable the left stick but leave the face buttons working.

PSO2 JP uses nProtect GameGuard for anticheat, so it has to run in admin mode. I have noticed that my phone can't connect to my PC through Bluetooth while PSO2 is in focus. I don't know if that's relevant at all.

Attempted fixes: None long-term, but restarting my PC deals with the issue when it happens. I could probably solve it permanently by just not playing PSO2, but I'm on the fan translation team for the JP version so that's not really an option.

Recent changes: None. I've been playing PSO2 for a long time, but I always played it KB+M before.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19402

System specs: Motherboard: B550 Aorus Elite V2.
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600.
GPU: Geforce RTX 2070 Super.
RAM: 16 GB.
My OS is running off an internal SSD, PSO2 is on an NVMe drive.
My mouse is a wireless Logitech G502 connected via the adapter supplied with it. I do use the G-Hub software with it, but I don't have a custom profile for PSO2.
My controller is an 8bitdo Pro 2 in Xinput mode connected over Bluetooth through my PC's network card.
That network card is an Intel AX200 with the aerials positioned 2-3 feet from where I'm sitting.
I don't have a PC beeper, so I don't know if the beeping sound would be played through that instead of my speakers if I did.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. I've found a few people mention a similar issue with their mouse lagging and making a beeping sound that was related to an update to Xinput, but they were a few years old (from 2016 or so if I remember right) and didn't give me anything I thought I could take action on. I've also asked around the PSO2 community, and apparently a couple of vtubers who play PSO2 have had a similar issue. If it would help, I can try and find out who it was and whether they have any streams that show it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Some things to try:

-Update to latest version of W10.

-Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

-Check if there are newer Bluetooth/mouse drivers.