Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Seems like we have a thread here for every other degenerate form of gambling on here, so I figured I'd start one for the lottery.

I head down to the corner store for a lottery ticket every week or two-- it is one of the few vices I have that I'm slightly ashamed of, but it gives me an reason to fantasize about being super rich and benefits the elderly to boot, so I figure where's the harm. I play the big interstate lotteries and a few of the smaller state ones whenever my rough calculations say it's not much of a negative-expectation bet. Plus I get the more elaborate scratch-offs every once in a while because they were always the default low-effort gift in my family and once I won like ninety bucks on one of them. I have pretty elaborate plans for a bigger jackpot, some of which involve buying an abandoned missile silo and having gay sex parties in it.

So is anyone else one of those people who holds up the line at the 7-11 trying to box the number they saw in a dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I play the Euromillions if it hits something stupid like £80m+, that's about it

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

If I'm at the grocery store, I'll take a look at what the Powerball and Mega Millions are up to and if it's enticing enough, I'll put down a few bucks (maybe up to :10bux:) and play. Or if there's a scratcher with a weird gimmick (like those ones where the grand prize is a car or there's a second chance drawing or something), I might get one. I don't know why I only play when the jackpot is super high - it's not like winning only $40MM would be somehow bad, but those 9 figures, baby! (And I'll check out usamega.com's Jackpot Analysis where it shows you what you'd get after taxes or what the annuity payments would look like.)

I, too, have some elaborate plans, but not for missile silo sex parties (although I might steal that idea); it's just stuff like NetJets memberships and flying my friends to conventions on a private plane. And maybe buying out/investing in a local game/comic store so they can perform desperately needed renovations.

My mom always does the envelope full of scratchers as a stocking stuffer, and I hate it, because I'm like "You could have just spend all this on like restaurant gift cards or something if you just wanted tokens of value" but then inevitably one of us does win like $100 or something and it feels less bad, then. (Also, spending like half an hour scratching them all off, but it's kind of fun, I guess.)

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

CellBlock posted:

it's not like winning only $40MM would be somehow bad, but those 9 figures, baby! (And I'll check out usamega.com's Jackpot Analysis where it shows you what you'd get after taxes or what the annuity payments would look like.)

Yeah, at one point I took card counting and poker very seriously, so I never buy a ticket unless the jackpot is big enough to convince myself that it's positive expectation. Plus, it's fun imagining being richer than Mitt Romney.

CellBlock posted:

inevitably one of us does win like $100 or something and it feels less bad, then. (Also, spending like half an hour scratching them all off, but it's kind of fun, I guess.)

Wow, what kind of fancy scratchoffs does your family get? We never do anything but the $1 ones and I don't think anyone's gotten anything more than twenty bucks off of one of those.

My state has bingo scratchoffs where they're pretty obviously engineered so that you're always one away from a big prize. It's probably a totally unconscionable way of hooking addicts, but it's as much fun as a mediocre rollercoaster and cheaper to boot.

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
I only play the big jackpots with the idea that if there's multiple winners I still get more money than I'll ever need in my life. I would hate to hit such enormous odds and only get something that requires me to keep my stupid job.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

TheJunkyardGod posted:

I would hate to hit such enormous odds and only get something that requires me to keep my stupid job.

Yeah, I am primarily a math geek and always play the local lottery when it is a million or so because it's positive EV .But it is never that fun because it means that I could remodel my house, travel, and maybe retire before 60. I wanna win the Powerball and be one of those guys who goes into space and maybe runs for governor.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I'll also occasionally throw some cash into powerball or megamillions if the jackpot gets high. And I'll occasionally buy a fun scratcher.

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Wow, what kind of fancy scratchoffs does your family get? We never do anything but the $1 ones and I don't think anyone's gotten anything more than twenty bucks off of one of those.

I won $350 on a $20 scratcher last month.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

The mega millions is like 1.3 billion and not a peep here. Shameful

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i occasionally played the P4/P5 in VA, it's the dang lottery so "EV" is kind of a joke but i remember the VA pick-5 actually having pretty decent prizes for the odds compared to other pick-5 games

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
I had 2 dollars in my pocket and bought a pick 5 ticket in NJ. I don't know where I put it and don't know the numbers. Oh god what if I won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

The biggest scam ever is online scratch offs, you don't even get to scrape that fun coating off!!