Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Problem description:
I'm building a PC for my wife using a graphics card I won through Newegg shuffle. I get everything installed, and decide to see if it will boot: it powers on, I see that the RAM lights up, the graphics card lights up, the motherboard (ugh) lights up, and so does the AIO. All the fans are spinning as expected. I don't get any diagnostic beeping, and I also don't get any video signal.

Attempted fixes:
  • I've tried different DP ports, and then the HDMI on the graphics card, but still no signal.
  • Thinking something's not completely seated, I reinstalled the GPU. Still nothing.
  • Then I looked at the RAM; googling suggests this is a big reason it wouldn't boot. I noticed that it's definitely not fully pushed in - this is an SFF build and I'm pretty sure it got unlatched when I was managing cables in the tight space above the motherboard. I fully installed both sticks. This time, the RAM does not light up when I power it on, and unsurprisingly I still get no signal.
  • So I try installing 1 stick of RAM at a time, in each of the slots, to no luck.

I'm starting to think I may have damaged the RAM, or it never worked at all. Any ideas for next steps? It doesn't have onboard video, but I could probably check the GPU on my personal machine with some effort, I'll have to double check it can fit such a massive card in my case.
--

Operating system: none yet

System specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax Mini ITX
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14
SSD: Samsung 870 Evo 2 TB
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Speedster MERC 319 Black
PSU: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Disconnect non-essentials like the SSD, keyboard, mouse etc.

Try a different video cable/monitor if you haven't already.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I disconnected the SSD, nothing else but the monitor is currently plugged in.
I've also tried a second displayport cable, all the ports on the graphics card, as well as HDMI and a different monitor. All the cables/monitors I've used are "proven" in the sense I'm using them right now on my main PC, but I get why there may be compatibility nuances.

I guess I'm going to try transplanting the GPU next.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Tried putting my 1660 Ti in the new PC, and it's the same results as always.

I'm thinking it's the RAM or the motherboard at this point. I saw in the manual that the motherboard has a 4 pin speaker header - does that mean it wouldn't beep unless I plugged a speaker into it?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

rarbatrol posted:

I'm thinking it's the RAM or the motherboard at this point.

Yes, another thing you could try would be taking the motherboard out of the case (put on nonconductive surface) and using a paperclip or key to bridge the power pins on the motherboard. This would eliminate the case as being an issue.

rarbatrol posted:

I saw in the manual that the motherboard has a 4 pin speaker header - does that mean it wouldn't beep unless I plugged a speaker into it?

Probably. The manual should say for sure though.