Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I am enjoying this strange game so far, but it seems many guides or beginner tips I found are somewhat outdated.

I'm still in the early stages at the moment and have started gaining knowledge - are some technologies recommended more than others? Recommendations published in the past seem to mention technologies that no longer seem to be in the tech-tree (bartering?) or are already unlocked early on.

What is the ideal ratio of food production relative to population? As one would expect, food production seems to vary throughout the year, and so far I haven't had a problem with hunger, but I'm a bit worried because I'm often in the red and people complain that I'm running low on supplies.

Edit: another question - is woodcutter worth it in early game?

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I cannot get this thing to do borderless full-screen for the life of me. What is the magic incantation? Waiting for my monitor to switch modes when I tab out is very annoying.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

I cannot get this thing to do borderless full-screen for the life of me. What is the magic incantation? Waiting for my monitor to switch modes when I tab out is very annoying.

there is a borderless (and also windowed) option in the launcher and you have to set the scale to 100% (of monitor resolution)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I tried that, I’m pretty sure, but I’ll make extra sure. Yesterday I just ran it windowed at 95% (because 100% put it in full-screen-exclusive!) and used Borderless Gaming to full-screen it, but that had some weird rendering artifacts in the excess space.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

V66 sneak peek

oh and also -20% sale on Steam and GOG (GOG is somehow cheaper)

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 17, 2024

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Game on sale too apparently, and v66 release within a week. Nice.

Shame manor lords is right around the corner though, imagine most people will get that and be sated on city management combat hybrids for a while

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That looks like a meaty update. I hope the UI grows an indicator for whether you’re in planning mode or not.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Sseth just did a video on it too so hopefully the dev gets a nice cash influx

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Kris xK posted:

Sseth just did a video on it too so hopefully the dev gets a nice cash influx

game is also among steam top sellers

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Sseth can go gently caress himself but hey, money's money for a indie dev so get it while you can I guess

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

What’s up with this sseth character? If I web search this name will it permanently defile my history?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
He makes YouTube videos

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
idk anytime I've viewed their videos it's 2010's meme and borderline racist edge lord humor. I can't say much more than initial impressions because I bail after a minute.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also has a horde of intensely unpleasant 4chan types who end up flooding the games he reviews.

Monetarily useful, garbage to have to clean up after.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i adore songs of syx; but i gotta say, based on how much pride and effort the dev has put into its’ slavery and racism mechanics, that he might not consider that sort of attention unwelcome

just pulling from his most recent update…

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's possible sure, personally I just felt like I was herding a pile of horrible smelly filth encrusted racist troglodytes around because that's just the setting, everyone's horrible, now conquer the world.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

wouldn’t really have the same trashy barbarian genre vibe without all that stuff

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, I haven’t gotten that vibe from his stuff on the discord either

simulation is not endorsement

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm a little sad on that note about the new portraits, the new ones are definitely "better" but I was kind of attached to the horrible potato filth people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Game good but I can't quite grasp the speed of the game. The focus on the seasons makes it seem like they should be around for a while but every season is like four days so it's gone before you know it. You seen to frequently have too much or too little labor, and I have no idea how large I need to build all the work huts. It feels like you're working on city scale when your "city" is three guys in a jack shack chasing after wild animals.

It's just new game clunk until I start to understand the scale but it's a bit much.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

LonsomeSon posted:

What’s up with this sseth character? If I web search this name will it permanently defile my history?

He got banned from the Caves of Qud discord for repeatedly 'just asking questions' about making the in-bred racial purist faction uniquely playable and he not so subtly encouraged his followers to do the same

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Xand_Man posted:

He got banned from the Caves of Qud discord for repeatedly 'just asking questions' about making the in-bred racial purist faction uniquely playable and he not so subtly encouraged his followers to do the same

Oh that guy lol

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

CuddleCryptid posted:

Game good but I can't quite grasp the speed of the game. The focus on the seasons makes it seem like they should be around for a while but every season is like four days so it's gone before you know it. You seen to frequently have too much or too little labor, and I have no idea how large I need to build all the work huts. It feels like you're working on city scale when your "city" is three guys in a jack shack chasing after wild animals.

It's just new game clunk until I start to understand the scale but it's a bit much.

you’re probably trying to build too big, too quickly. it’s really tempting to start plopping down a whole city with giant, monolithic production centers right out the gate—but, that can get you in a bad spot real quick

instead, start off treating it more like a survival game. make things really good for just a few people, then build up on that to make it good for just a few more people. trickle in new citizens one by one instead of using autopop until you’re really good at the game

stick with individual rooms for production. they can be part of bigger planned factories, but don’t make your entire factory one giant room. plan all of your layouts around happiness and keep your people’s commutes as short as possible

don’t overlook logistics. think about how long it takes items to go to and from warehouses. design your city on a logistics first basis right off the bat or that’s going to turn into a huge problem to solve all at once later

stay away from trade until you’re able to build a smallish-medium sized self sufficient city that’s not constantly on the verge of collapse. it can be helpful for accelerating your city’s development, but it can be just as much of a trap if you don’t have a handle on all of the mechanics

also, don’t be afraid to bulldoze stuff. small populations and big populations have very different needs. develop your city accordingly and listen to your citizens

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TrashMammal posted:

you’re probably trying to build too big, too quickly. it’s really tempting to start plopping down a whole city with giant, monolithic production centers right out the gate—but, that can get you in a bad spot real quick

instead, start off treating it more like a survival game. make things really good for just a few people, then build up on that to make it good for just a few more people. trickle in new citizens one by one instead of using autopop until you’re really good at the game

stick with individual rooms for production. they can be part of bigger planned factories, but don’t make your entire factory one giant room. plan all of your layouts around happiness and keep your people’s commutes as short as possible

don’t overlook logistics. think about how long it takes items to go to and from warehouses. design your city on a logistics first basis right off the bat or that’s going to turn into a huge problem to solve all at once later

stay away from trade until you’re able to build a smallish-medium sized self sufficient city that’s not constantly on the verge of collapse. it can be helpful for accelerating your city’s development, but it can be just as much of a trap if you don’t have a handle on all of the mechanics

also, don’t be afraid to bulldoze stuff. small populations and big populations have very different needs. develop your city accordingly and listen to your citizens

For sure, these are good tips. More what I meant was that it feels like you're building at scale when you're even starting out because moving to industrialization is what you're already thinking of when you start out. I'm more used to it now, town humming along pretty well, it's just a bit of a strange shift. I think part of it is that getting food is really easy at the start so you don't really feel like you're struggling, so you want to press forward.

Does anyone know if it's better to make single huge workshops vs multiple small ones, assuming they are going in the same place?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You can do either, but supply chain management grows more complex the more scattered around the points of fabrication and points of storage are. In my experience as a newish and bad player, a common and insidious way an early-to-midgame death spiral can get kicked off is by citizens just taking too drat long to get from place to place to do their jobs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I usually build major workshops for things that I'm using a lot of, like iron or bread or furniture, and then smaller ones for things where I might want to adjust the output, i.e smithies and such, so you can adjust your net output by changing their products.

You do probably want to try and put processing and storage next to industry if you can to minimise carrying, as that's wasted labour.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I usually build major workshops for things that I'm using a lot of, like iron or bread or furniture, and then smaller ones for things where I might want to adjust the output, i.e smithies and such, so you can adjust your net output by changing their products.

You do probably want to try and put processing and storage next to industry if you can to minimise carrying, as that's wasted labour.

Makes sense, that's more what I was thinking. I have a couple shops that are back to back with each other and producing the same thing and some that are just monolithic chair factories, wasn't sure if there was a pro or con. Seems like it's more to taste, which is fine.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Last time I played this game I got up to a population of maybe ~500 people and then just couldn't really figure out how to progress further. My entire population was dedicated to either feeding everyone else or maintaining knowledge and the bigger I got the more of my population had to be proportionately dedicated to those things until there was no room for doing virtually anything else.

I imagine I overlooked some kind of worker efficiency technology or built the wrong kinds of buildings or something, but I tried a few things that seemed like good candidates for that (food production efficiency tech, tool production) and it didn't really help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you do want to invest tech points in general efficiency for farms, as well as things which increase productivity of workshops. Ideally you want to produce more stuff with the same number of people to transition out of subsistence agriculture and into industry and eventually imperial administration. Workshop upgrades, a few levels of agricultural efficiency techs, and tool production are the big ones.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think he's been rounding off some of the corners but it used to be the ol 500 people stall is because you didn't use your knowledge and worker assignments to specialize in something that you're able to trade surplus for boring food and other staples.

Ranching is incredibly useful almost everywhere in the subsistence phase, the downside mostly being the time it takes to get a base stock of seed animals. Space is the other downside but at the start you have a whole unused map for inefficient ranching. There are map seeds that might encourage another food source (particularly fertile fishing) but when in doubt pig it out.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

v66 beta released

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 22, 2024

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm not really a fan of the research system. you need to claw through the tech tree to make people happy to get more immigrants but more people means more farmers which only stop being borderline subsistence with tech

I'm starting to bottleneck at 400~ from a mixture of happiness and food, which I could probably solve by taking the 30~ total out from iron production but then I stagnate for other reasons

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Does anyone know if beta saves tend to work for the release version?

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

That's a shame. There was a real opportunity here to make people resort to crime based on unmet access needs and wealth gap, rather than based on "race."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Griddle of Love posted:

That's a shame. There was a real opportunity here to make people resort to crime based on unmet access needs and wealth gap, rather than based on "race."

In practice it's just a nerf to humans.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Griddle of Love posted:

yeah, I dislike that choice a fair bit

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Tbf you're probably not gonna get good politics in a game with slavery in it

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

all humans are criminals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Built an asylum, found out people in there will just be starved to death if you only have fresh food and don't have rations specifically. And then for some reason they won't get buried in graveyards. Not sure how we're expecting them to get any better in those conditions.

I wouldn't be playing the game if I didn't also enjoy it, but every so often it's like a little bitter pill mixed into my delicious ant hive simulator.