Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
In the 1930s, paranormal investigators are recruited to a clandestine government agency devoted to acquiring supernatural and eldritch artifacts in a world-spanning arms race between Nazi Germany, the USSR, and the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
World travelling mercenaries inflict violence and harm, and overthrow multiple governments to stop a 19 y/o from sacrificing the world to revive his dead girlfriend directed by David Cronenberg.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Books on City Bylaws are basically the Necronomicon in terms of the human lives they destroy on a daily basis

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
From their floating islands the Guild control the Outlands with superior magitech, while down here gangs, warlords and cults fight over their leavings.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Robot Rebellion spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first battle against the oppressive Human Hegemony.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Books on City Bylaws are basically the Necronomicon in terms of the human lives they destroy on a daily basis

Intriguing!... Tell me more.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Freelance workers act as IT for the Multiverse Source Code

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I run the cool versions of the Forgotten Realms that aren't in 5e.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

We are trying to sail home, but (much like the fellow in the poem) have instead sailed into some extremely strange waters.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

DrSunshine posted:

Intriguing!... Tell me more.

In my setting Cities are basically dark hellish nexuses, each governed by a powerful entity known as The City Fathers(think Prince in vampire, its not gendered) that feed off the general ennui, frustration from bureaucrats, irritation at your neighbors and horror that comes from living in a city. It comes to them not unlike Garmanbozia from Twin Peaks. Most of the city fathers are quite insane by any standard, but they were humans once. By-Law officers are given rulebooks which people claim is 'like a spellbook' but really they are the key to changing reality within certain limits. - think a HOA leader with the teeniest tiniest penis and near dictatorial power over their cul-de-sac. These cities are massive for the 'normal' tech level, which is a myriad of generic medieval civilizations dotted around the world map, each awed and wondering about the massive walled megacities nobody goes into or leaves.

This started as a satire of lolbert hyperbole about oppressive bylaws and I had players getting thrown into stocks for not having adventuring licenses etc and its turned into people being flayed alive for not having their shed painted green like it says in the bylaws I just changed. All laws are enforced by obsidian orbs replacing your eyes monsters that turn into cropws when not needed. Just a seemingly endless sprawl of cobblestones, houses, shops, neighborhoods. bodies stacked in every corner. the city burns from riots one night and everyone just picks up their poo poo morning and goes "at least i dont have to lick a king's boots" and rebuilds. People in Great Cities are so alien to people on thr outside they may as well be from a different galaxy.

Then theres the great city thats just a dreamworld. And the one made of trees that only grow from living humans. or the ant hive one. etc etc etc.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 9, 2021

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Holy Roman Empire has gone to space, and they don't like it very much.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

In my setting Cities are basically dark hellish nexuses, each governed by a powerful entity known as The City Fathers(think Prince in vampire, its not gendered) that feed off the general ennui, frustration from bureaucrats, irritation at your neighbors and horror that comes from living in a city. It comes to them not unlike Garmanbozia from Twin Peaks. Most of the city fathers are quite insane by any standard, but they were humans once. By-Law officers are given rulebooks which people claim is 'like a spellbook' but really they are the key to changing reality within certain limits. - think a HOA leader with the teeniest tiniest penis and near dictatorial power over their cul-de-sac. These cities are massive for the 'normal' tech level, which is a myriad of generic medieval civilizations dotted around the world map, each awed and wondering about the massive walled megacities nobody goes into or leaves.

This started as a satire of lolbert hyperbole about oppressive bylaws and I had players getting thrown into stocks for not having adventuring licenses etc and its turned into people being flayed alive for not having their shed painted green like it says in the bylaws I just changed. All laws are enforced by obsidian orbs replacing your eyes monsters that turn into cropws when not needed. Just a seemingly endless sprawl of cobblestones, houses, shops, neighborhoods. bodies stacked in every corner. the city burns from riots one night and everyone just picks up their poo poo morning and goes "at least i dont have to lick a king's boots" and rebuilds. People in Great Cities are so alien to people on thr outside they may as well be from a different galaxy.

Then theres the great city thats just a dreamworld. And the one made of trees that only grow from living humans. or the ant hive one. etc etc etc.

This is like Terry Gilliam's Brazil but as fantasy. I love it!

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
i have many settings

- its 1910s fantasy germany post apocalypse, but gayer than usual
- its 1910 everywhere but gayer than usual
- its peaceful alt timeline 1940 but gayer than usual
- its a noir city of eternal night where private detectives are the only real justice, but gayer than usual
- its star trek but gayer than usual
- its the future space regency which is post-scarcity because of cute robots, but gayer than usual

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
New one I'm about to start.

Fighting capitalism in cities in the body of a titanic beast, that is necromancied to always move in twilight to avoid the deadly effects of the inhabitable climate.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

DrSunshine posted:

This is like Terry Gilliam's Brazil but as fantasy. I love it!

ive never seen brazil and I probably should since that is the seventh person to tell me that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

In an isolated valley in the Forgotten Realms, there is a mysterious petrified giant, taller than the tallest mountains, whose vast stone corpse has become a thriving forested habitat for magical creatures, and is rumored to bestow riches and glory beyond all measure to adventuring parties that manage to summit the peak.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The unreliable players from our gaming group have fallen under the sway of Tsathoggua cultists, ultimately led by Gary Gygax, who seek to do away with the old world and replace it with a perfect lazy gamer adventure world

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Late-stage capitalism is hell, be gay and do crimes.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
In a 5E campaign, deep beneath the earth, orcs, githyanki, duergar, etc. discover an aeons-old city where the evil gods that normally rule their natures hold no power, causing them to become ... just folks.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

A pretty straightforward spaghetti western, but with mutants and laser guns and robots so that people might be interested in playing it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Everyday the sun will rise until noon, then reverse back into the east in this time trapped world of six hours.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

As the colonies of the Denebula system fall into civil war, a team of petty criminals tries to solve a murder.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Magically-powered mecha with parts salvaged from a long-lost civilization are transforming the face of war as a Fey aristocracy clash with one another over matters of honor while all of fairykind is simultaneously engaged in a larger conflict with a mysterious and alien invading force.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

New one I'm about to start.

Fighting capitalism in cities in the body of a titanic beast, that is necromancied to always move in twilight to avoid the deadly effects of the inhabitable climate.

After having session 0 this has changed. It is now "80s Shadowrun in the belly of a dessicated titan."

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

Things can get better. You just gotta be willing to take the chance.
How it started: "A group of criminals are sentenced to dredge ancient treasures from the graveyard of the Gods."

How it's going: "gently caress Time Wizards, man."

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Many world forms as gods spoke in their divine font of creation, until one god broke the rule and cause chaos to all by using two sentences.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
D&D, but I steal plot points from Dune and Berserk.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Psychic FBI agent decides to kick down the masquerade with a bunch of weirdos he met in a Maine and ends up so goddamn important he winds up dragging the world kicking and screaming out of a time loop, started by a prior iteration of himself, into a revolutionary new age that shatters the status quo of the world, with all the chaos and upheaval that entails.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Fantasy Late Medieval Europe with some other cultures to add flavor.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
This might be cheating a little, as these are gently painted sample settings/campaign starters for the game I've been working on for the past year, Downforce. But the thread is as good opportunity as any to workshop my elevator pitches, right?

If it's somehow not obvious from the following summaries, the game has a singular focus on cars racing each other.

• At the distant world of Betelgeuse Prime, reckless street racers steal from starship yards to tune their rides with components that should be nowhere near a regular car.
  • As the time is ticking for the five-year plan and first Soviet outpost on Mars is nowhere near ready, the great cold war powers turn towards motorsports to prove their technological dominance.
  • Two hundred competitors gather at the sandy beaches of San Diego for Bullet Express, the largest televised event of the generation where the only rule is: the first car to reach Manhattan Island wins.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

a small nation founded by a mercenary band of necromancers tries to construct a fair society on the back of undead automation, the nearby states blockade it while engaging in secret export of corpses to the nation in exchange for immortality treatments for their leaders.

its got a few main avenues for adventures:
- spooky school times in the necrotechnik institute where people learn the various arts of necromancy
- spycraft type stuff bc its partially inspired by cuba during the cold war
- blockade runners, importing important supplies or even people from the nearby countries seeking medical treatment from the necromancers.
- classic monster hunting, protecting people from naturally occuring non-sentient undead and helping out with research of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

At the college at the center of the multiverse, whether you're a goth, a prep, or a jock, you've still got to complete your adventuring homework by Monday morning for your lich professor or else!