Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Drowning In Terror posted:

Warfare is largely about adaptation, yet humans have made zero effort here to adapt against what appears to be a very static opponent.

Well, I mean, that’s the point of the time-travel conceit. Either the characters literally cannot change, ever, or what the characters understand as a singular future is actually in constant flux as every return trip changes events. These return trips have been happening daily for, like, months - and this doesn’t necessarily result in progress. After one trip, information that was once vital might no longer apply. In this scenario, the characters know very little at all because they’re having to re-learn thirty years’ worth of new alt-history per day. And even then, leaders are clearly afraid to change ‘too much’, as it might cause them to lose access to the time machine or whatever.

Add to this the fact that the ‘Queen’ seems to know way more than she should. Like, how does she know what the green stuff is, of it was only just invented? Can she ‘see’ outside of time or something? They may not be that static at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Feldegast42 posted:

yeah lol removing jesus would remove islam as well

maybe this was all just a plot by Kronos to protect the Greeks

At least Zoroastrianism would likely have survived. I could have the sky burial I so desire

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I love how dumb this movie is in a broad sense, but one micro thing still bugs me:

Oh poo poo an enormous alien ship half buried=> we must cut into it with cool third act weapon gag=> cuts perfectly into a spot with human sized walkways, and not like a structural element or mop closet rack.

It’s absolutely a dumb thing I would put into my movie without ever thinking about it. At least show them approaching a door-like structure.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Sedgr posted:

There were some requests to open a thread to discuss The Tomorrow War currently available on Amazon Prime to keep the streaming thread from getting cluttered.

I don't know much about the movie, but I wrote a bunch of notes while I was watching it and it might as well all go here.

The Tomorrow War plot makes basically no sense at all, but I think the movie is one of those production disasters where its written, rewritten, edited, reshot, etc and you just end up with a mess.

There is a bunch of stuff in it that seems like it may have been a more "Christian themed" movie. Its got a couple things that seem to point at major plot twists or something that just never materialize in the movie. For instance there's a pretty heavy pro-life anti abortion thing going on that doesn't really go anywhere. Some of the promotional posters made me think that the portal through time was an actual "God did it" miracle. It looks a lot like a half face/eye in the sky in some promo stuff.

I'm wondering if the movie was originally much more heavily Christian and then they went back in and made it more centrist/left leaning with the environmental themes and just sort of patched it all together.

I jotted things I noticed as I was watching and a bunch of generally weird stuff: Spoilers Ahoy

• Christmas party opening scene for seemingly no reason.
  • Daughter name: Muri. I assume her full name is Amurica. Or Muriel. Or Mary.
  • Pratt doesn't pay attention to his family for Science Job reasons. He doesn't get the job anyways and we don't even really know what he was applying for. This makes him sad. That's what he gets for trusting science.
  • We must travel to the future to protect our sons/daughters/grandchildren (many who haven't been born yet). The Pro-Life vibes are strong.
  • Anti-war protestors are commonplace, but the movie pretty much just glosses over them, framing them as obviously wrong.
  • Pratt is subjected to a medical procedure he doesn't really understand and has no control over, while the mostly uncaring doctors and nurses ram him through the system.
  • Somehow no one in the present seems to know anything about what's going on, and the people from the future specifically don't tell them. To the point that we have survivors shown who have returned to the past and they don't tell anyone I guess because of the trauma? The White Spikes (the aliens) are specifically said to make clicking noises.
  • Pratt and family consider breaking the law to avoid the draft, going to visit his extremely prepper/survivalist father for help. Pratt chooses not to break the law and accept his fate/gods plan.
  • Bizarre training montage. We are told 50% of military were unsuitable for time travel but no one explains why. Pratt is some kinda special forces commando high school teacher or whatever because of course he is.
  • They lampshade how loving strange it is but the clothing thing is still baffling? Why do they send civilians through time wearing suit and ties and chefs hat and poo poo? What? Why are they not better outfitted? WTF is going on in this movie?
  • They talk pretty specifically about R force and D force but its unclear to me why. Hmmm why would you split people into two groups and label some of them R and some of them D. Pratt is on team R aka "Research" force but this doesn't really seem to mean anything or change anything. D is probably Development or Defense or something but I don't think its mentioned.
  • Dude in the red shirt has apparently done multiple tours in the future, fighting the aliens, even bringing back one of their claws. No one bothers to ask him about anything I guess. Same with red shirts friends who all die like...red shirts.
  • We get introduced to the idea of time travel paradoxes, I guess you can't be alive in both times, but it never really comes up? Seems like an attempt to plug giant plot holes but this movie is nothing but plot holes really. Like most time travel movies it stops making any sense if you think about it. Actually this one stops making sense well before that. A couple obvious holes get squashed with technobabble but its still just a mess of nonsense that raises more questions than it answers.
  • Once a week the aliens disappear for a day. We call it the Sabbath.
  • The future is so scary we can't tell anyone about it because then they couldn't fill the hangar to send people through time. Except earlier we are told the arm band can find you anywhere on earth, and that if you run your spouse or adult children will be drafted to replace you.
  • Why are we sending untrained civilians at all? Supposedly everyone in the future is dead. <500,000 survivors. Fifty percent of the military aren't eligible for some reason so we have half the earths military we could send don't we? Even with the "only alive in one or the other timeline" caveat. Why only a few thousand a week? Hell why are aliens that are stuck on the ground and susceptible to small arms even a threat really? Wild animals are not a real threat to the actual military even if they are big/strong/fast.
  • Frankly the whole "Drop" sequence into the future feels like its meant to be them dropping into Hell. Not metaphorically, I mean actual Hell. I feel like this may have been the point where a major twist happens for the original version or something. The future isn't under attack by aliens but rather hell/demons/rapture and this got changed to the aliens instead. Would explain some of the reason they can't tell anyone in the past what they are really fighting.
  • The white spikes are described as clicking earlier by the survivors in their group therapy but the sound they make is actually just wild animal roars.
  • Pratts own daughter asks him his name and sees in his file he's a soldier. I guess after a few years you forget what your parents look and sound like. And their name.
  • Plan to save their only research center and the last chance to stop the aliens apparently involves bombing the city and blowing up the research center to protect it from wild animals.
  • Why do the spikes seem to leave scorch marks? If these are bone/biological that's kinda odd.
  • Red shirt takes a souvenir from a dead White Spike they find. Why? Unknown. He already has one. Did he lose it?
  • WTF is going on with the research team they were trying to save? This attack was enough to constitute an emergency insertion earlier, but the research team is hanging in this weird bio umbilical cord area and are all desiccated and zombified looking?
  • We go from save the researches that seem to have been dead for awhile, to save the researchers research data and some samples that never come up again. Despite the fact that the attack seems to have mostly ended at this point we are in a race against time because they are going to bomb the area anyway.
  • We finally get a full White Spike reveal where they sound like gorillas now.
  • Bullets do gently caress all to the aliens, unless they do, in which case untrained civilians actually take some of them down. These things overran the entire worlds military supposedly.
  • I doubt its coincidence that the White Spikes basically kill people by combination of crucifixion and torn apart by lions.
  • Help arrives in Humvees from...somewhere. Immediately killed by White Spikes. Untrained civilians once again kill several aliens.
  • The White Spikes now sound like Raptors from Jurassic Park. Barking and yelping sounds. Seeming to communicate like the Raptors as well.
  • Regular people nobly sacrifice themselves to accomplish nothing while most everyone dies, including the fat guy that Pratt tries to get people to stop to save.
  • Why is this entire city on fire? Humans lost this war awhile ago right? Hence the time travel plan? So is the city mostly empty or is it full of survivors who are under attack. Nothing makes sense.
  • Rather than show us anything they just cut to Pratt waking up somewhere else and presumably safe. At a military base in the Dominican Republic. Some of these helicopters would have been nice when Pratt needed rescue about 7 seconds ago screen time.
  • Red shirt has Cancer but fails to explain why he takes the alien claws. Its a reminder that he has cancer and will die, but why take more than one then?
  • Pratt gets pulled off the front line thanks to nepotism. His team gets redeployed because untrained civilian ground troops need to be fed into the woodchipper constantly I guess?
  • Pratt doesn't recognize his own daughter grown up and in fact has to work it out from them sharing the same last name. Pratts character may actually be mentally handicapped.
  • Oh and she's a military leader, and the head researcher, making her the head of R-Force, which makes her basically the leader of the world, because of course she is. And she hates Pratts guts.
  • Pratt hopes he was proud of his daughter for doing so well and going to MIT for her doctorate but didn't he die like 7 years after she was a little kid in the beginning? High school teacher Pratt can't do the math or like a million other things in this movie nothing lines up right. She later confirms Pratt died when she was 16.
  • Daughter reveals that the war is lost and she brought him through time for a reason but can't tell him till the proper time. Why? She can't see the future, and changing the past seems to have just never occurred to anyone or it wouldn't help their timeline anyway so why hide information important enough that you pull a person from the past while saying its not for sentimental reasons. Bad writing is the reason.
  • The Queen is bigger and more dangerous. Like every scifi alien queen ever.
  • Suddenly here at the middle of the movie they start talking about a toxin and how it kills the males and not the females but they don't know why. They've cleared out an area with the toxin and found all the males dead and the queen still alive. Toxin probably would have been useful in protecting the research building attacked by an entirely male swarm of animals that they dropped bombs on instead.
  • Now the last hope is capturing the female queen. So they can learn their biology to kill them. The queen that's much more rare than the males that we just finished saying die to the toxin we already have.
  • We fly over half sunk battleships and I wonder how exactly animals that shoot little bone spikes and run on the ground at people managed to get onboard a battleship and sink it. White Spikes are seen killing wild animals because they are everywhere now, not like before when they wiped out the human race.
  • The spikes landed in Russia three years ago avoiding detection and radar. The wild animal creatures. Daughter describes them as wild animals that want nothing. We are food. But I guess they overran and killed most people on earth because they breed pretty fast with the very rare queen.
  • Pratt for some reason brings up his future death and then avoids actually finding out how it happens.
  • We arrive at the place to capture the queen where she lives underground in a wicker basket hut or something? The leader of the free world repels down into the chamber to personally be involved in the capture of a bigger badder version of a wild animal we've seen murder most people in the movie up to now. She is accompanied by her Dad that she hates but brought to the future for a nebulous reason.
  • That's about the half way point through this mess.
  • Basically everybody dies. Special Forces Dad saves Leader of the World Daughter because of course he does.
  • The Queen makes generic monster screamy noises.
  • The aliens can kinda fly/glide now I guess. A single helicopter rotor takes out a half dozen of the aliens in less than a second.
  • The aliens murder everyone, but are now also made of tissue paper. Pratt and Daughter escape via humvee while the queen is hauled away by other choppers. The scene just kind of ends with hundreds of White Spikes chasing them. Apparently no one involved in production wants to actually see how Pratt escapes?
  • They drive to a nearby beach where the Spikes don't chase them anymore. Why? Don't know. They just don't. It's in fact so safe now they stop, get out of the humvee and Daughter launches a flare so someone can come get them. Guess they would have forgot about their lead researcher or assumed she was dead but hey we're well past anything in this movie making sense anymore.
  • On the beach where they should be running away we get the teary eyed reveal of how Pratt died and why his daughter hates him. He and her Mom separated when she was 12 and then Pratt died in a car accident a few years later. He also never seemed happy with his life. What a monster.
  • We are introduced to a new location, and the time travel device, in a giant fortified multi seawall area that seems to be taking in survivors on cruise ships and protected by more battleships. The last line of defense against something roughly as dangerous as a meth addicted polar bear.
  • Interestingly the time device makes a clicking/crackling sound. It is only shown at a distance a couple times and nothing about it is explained.
  • The queen can be sedated to the point that Head Researcher and Leader of the World Daughter can hang out in the same room with it and take samples while it naps. It bothers me somewhat that apparently all this takes is a large dose of Hydromorphone. Just wait till they give it some Fentanyl.
  • The monster stinks apparently and is in fact still dangerous according to Daughter. So she crawls around next to it while her clueless Dad from the past asks technobabble biology questions.
  • Science Montage! Pratt seems to do essentially nothing.
  • Did Miami fund this movie or something? City from earlier was Miami. Now Pratt wants to know if the Miami Dolphins ever won the super bowl and the spread. Which couldn't possibly happen in his own timeline anymore. I guess its just idle chit chat but it would only make sense if this movie was an entirely different movie. Probably a better movie. It would pretty much have to be.
  • Daughter mentions a "solution" if they get the toxin. Once again she tells no one what it might actually be because of mysterious reasons.
  • More cryptic "everything is almost complete" talk, this time from some rando soldier?
  • Pratt basically prays to his daughter. I know you brought me here for a reason. I have some purpose. Please tell me how I'm going to help you.
  • Big reveal, plan is to take the toxin back and manufacture it in the past to save the future. Except not by changing the past because no one brings it up. Take it, make it, bring it back to the future. And not the other toxin that already works. The new special toxin. And Pratt has to do it. For reasons. And it doesn't matter because she also reveals that they've already lost, so really its to save the alternate timeline? I guess its an alternate timeline now? That can't have the same people in it, so we can't save the future people, unless they didn't exist in the past like the people doing the training. Except we can send some because we showed that already. Wait what? My head hurts.
  • For some reason no one else wants to take the toxin back in time according to Daughter. Reason unclear.
  • The Queen sees Pratt holding a vial of toxin and freaks out. Why the Queen knows what this is or how or why or really anything is not explained.
  • The aliens hear the Queen somehow? And then attack the seawall somehow? Setting off mines that were also there protecting the wall apparently. The military is powerless to stop them. I guess the aliens swim real good but didn't bother attacking the place previously.
  • Pratt has become the mission and must be protected at all cost because they didn't send any toxin back previously. They tried nothing and are all out of ideas.
  • The last military outpost, manned by the last humans, begins an evacuation though no one mentions where they are going. It doesn't matter to the plot because once Pratt jumps we'll never see the result.
  • Aliens free the Queen. She chases Pratt and Daughter who are going to a helicopter that seems useless since if the time thing gets destroyed he's stuck in the future with them anyway.
  • Pratt and Daughter murk aliens left and right. If only the world had had more ex special forces high school teachers they could have killed the aliens before it got out of hand.
  • Everything is on fire and everything explodes. Once again I feel like this was meant to be Hell.
  • Daughter gets spiked, confesses her sins, admits she loves her Dad, and sacrifices herself to save the rest of humanity. If it's unclear at this point Daughter = Jesus.
  • Pratt dives after his daughter into a mass of aliens that will absolutely kill them both because he's the dumbest man in the world. Time travel saves him because of course it does.
  • Time travel is ruined and Pratt has the toxin in the past but somehow no one can think of any reason this might be helpful. Pratt even gets to keep the toxin its so worthless now.
  • Now its time for some heavy handed PTSD returning from war scenes while we setup the last act? Acts? Jesus there's like 45 mins left still.
  • The scene where Pratt tells his wife what happened is so strange. Its setup like she's supposed to be shocked by his revelations, but this is a world where transport between the future and past is real. Aliens are real. Nothing he says should come across as crazy in that world.
  • And somehow Pratt is stuck as the only person in the world that can actually fix the future or save this future or whatever but no one seems to give a poo poo? In fact they try to block him. And his wife comes up with the genius idea the aliens didn't land but were already there. No one else in the whole world up to 30 years in the future considered that the aliens that just suddenly appeared may not have landed but been around already.
  • We drift off into a small plotline where the actual problem was climate change. Probably why those polar bear monsters were so angry.
  • We also round up a few of the bit players from earlier in the movie to make them seem like there was a reason for them to be in the movie. This includes a weird scene where Pratt, Red Shirt, and Jump Friend suddenly teleport into Pratts classroom from earlier to ask the weird kid who knows about volcanoes some volcano questions. Not scifi teleport mind you. I mean the scene just suddenly starts with them there. A horrible, cringe, exposition dump to kick off the last action sequences.
  • The scene after makes no sense either with the government refusing to help Pratt even though he has the toxin and they just don't want to? I guess it forces him to reunite with his prepper weirdo Dad who might as well not be in the movie. JK Simmons is great though.
  • Once again Pratt tells his Dad about the aliens and its played like its some sort of revelation. When you have time travel alien shenanigan's on the evening news this is comically dumb.
  • More misplaced comedy moments occur to break up the dumb.
  • Rather than searching from the air, they search by snowmobile. This is better because reasons. Those reasons may be because someone involved in production wanted to go snowmobiling in the mountains. Featureless white nothingness is also nice and cheap.
  • Still almost 30min to go.
  • They blow up the glacier, to get to the ship, which isn't revealed by the explosion. Later on they will blow up the ship which was apparently always an option rendering the toxin and all the time travel totally meaningless.
  • Pratt acts shocked when they find the alien ship that they went and specifically blew up a glacier to find, based on information he obtained in the future where he fought the aliens from this exact ship. He in fact goes so far as to announce to the group that now they have proof. Pratts character is so dumb he passes out after forgetting to breathe for a few minutes.
  • The group decides to handle the aliens themselves. Since the world militaries have been shown to be significantly less effective than random morons at this point its probably the right choice to be honest.
  • Inside the ship they find a small replica of the Space Jockey ship from Alien. Including Space Jockey. Since its obvious at this point the White Spikes aren't intelligent enough to pilot a spaceship its pointed out directly that this different new alien must have crashed. A powerful revelation for anyone that slept through the movie to this point and just woke up.
  • The "Abortion" scene. Pratt as science man, attempts to give the aliens an abortion killing them in utero with giant needles filled with green toxin. I thought for sure this was going to wake up the aliens and that was going to be the time loop. Pratt attempts the abortion, waking the aliens, leading to the destruction of humanity. Oh Hubris! If only we had followed Gods plan then science wouldn't have destroyed us all!
  • The final action scenes are just a baffling mess. White Spikes are back to being tissue paper and lose in hand to hand combat with humans now. More noble sacrifices and reversal of fortunes abound. Pratt and his Dad each attempt to nobly sacrifice themselves for the other at least twice. Possibly more.
  • Pratt kills the Queen, the most powerful of the aliens that wiped out the human race in the future, by punching it.
  • Happy Alternate Timeline Ending.

Well that was a hell of a lot more words than I thought I had while I was watching it but whatever.

As far as production values go the movies fine. SFX, acting, etc seems pretty normal. The writing and editing though are just bottom of the barrel and its no wonder Amazon was able to pick this up cheap and dump it straight to streaming.

This list was hilarious and true. The film was super dumb in so many ways. I still enjoyed it though and it was better than I expected despite nothing making any sense.

henpod fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 19, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meanolmrcloud posted:

I love how dumb this movie is in a broad sense, but one micro thing still bugs me:

Oh poo poo an enormous alien ship half buried=> we must cut into it with cool third act weapon gag=> cuts perfectly into a spot with human sized walkways, and not like a structural element or mop closet rack.

It’s absolutely a dumb thing I would put into my movie without ever thinking about it. At least show them approaching a door-like structure.

*starts to cut into the surface of the ship, ship explodes instantly killing everyone, smash cut to another team who are now the main focus of the film*

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Loved the OP. At some point I might watch this with my best bud. Bad movies are fun with friends.

The way the whole time travel stuff is described makes me think that in one of the dozens scripts this thing was glued together from, the future people were bad guys who lied to the past people to dupe them into coming back and then force them into slavery or something.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Nah, it's pretty clear that the people of the present are the villains. It's just incredibly muddled if they are a bunch of assholes or if they are being punished for being assholes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Do we need to spoil anything now? I don't feel like the movie deserves it but whatever

Okay so I hate this movie a lot. Like A LOT. Way more than most lovely action movies because the budget and scope are so massive, the cast is reasonably high-profile and all of it is squandered on the dumbest poo poo I've seen in years.
Instead of bitching for paragraphs, I just want to say that they had a real opportunity that was wasted.

After they capture the queen you almost get a glimmer of being sympathetic to her/them because she's chained, sedated and essentially tortured. Then you find out later that they are essentially shock troopers (maybe) for some other alien species that crashed on Earth and were (maybe) prepping for an invasion.

Normally I like things to be kinda vague in sci-fi but they had a chance to pepper in elements that showed they were just scared animals with the big reveal at the end that they are livestock for some other beings. Then they study the ship, find a macguffin and placate the animals to end the war. I'm not a writer, whatever.

That way you can still leave the door open for a sequel for when the "real" aliens show up to figure out why their food truck was delayed and springboard that in to a new type of story.

gently caress this movie.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

BigglesSWE posted:

Loved the OP. At some point I might watch this with my best bud. Bad movies are fun with friends.

The way the whole time travel stuff is described makes me think that in one of the dozens scripts this thing was glued together from, the future people were bad guys who lied to the past people to dupe them into coming back and then force them into slavery or something.

There's a note on the IMDB trivia that in an earlier version of the script the past soldiers were secretly injected with poison so that the aliens that ate them would die.

I don't know if it's true or how it would have changed the movie but there is a definite sense in what we got that the future people are being cagey about the situation and there's some kind of scam going on.

If they were basically throwing poisoned meat to the aliens then it would make sense why they don't really train them or prepare them to actually fight.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The most damning aspect of this movie is that every thought exercise about its premise or revealed script detail they omitted sounds more interesting than the thing they made. There's so much to this premise that could've been interesting or at least unique, and they flat-out refused to do any of it. Instead, we got the laziest and most disjointed story possible. The palest of imitations of several better blockbuster things, that isn't even joyful in the pastiche of it all.

It's a bad movie that isn't even fun to watch. Independence Day, Starship Troopers, Live Die Repeat and Terminator are all better movies on every conceivable level, so why ever watch this one again?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Starks posted:

The whole movie actually feels like a video game cutscene

After the first big action sequence at the end of the Miami scenes I had to pause and load up the starcraft 2 heart of the swarm opening cinematic, because it feels a lot like someone half-remembered that and decided to make a movie about it.

Everything element of this movie was so stupid and ill-fitting that I kept assuming there had to be some additional twist that would set everything straight. No such luck.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I was convinced that there had to be a twist because how in the name of all that is loving holy, upon discovering time travel, would your plan not be stop the bad thing from happening before it happens.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

To give the next of kin the payment. They said that on screen. I feel like this is an extremely bad movie and people are going crazy picking plot holes that were plainly explained instead of focusing on the extremely stupid parts.

Yeah, definitely no sinister undertones related to the "uh you wouldn't want the money to go to the wrong person would you?" response that has no payoff later in the movie. A=A and all that.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Unoriginal Name posted:

I was convinced that there had to be a twist because how in the name of all that is loving holy, upon discovering time travel, would your plan not be stop the bad thing from happening before it happens.

It's pretty clear they are separate timelines, since future-daughter doesn't have memories of a worldwide draft and instead simply remembers her father moping off because he didn't get a job.

Also if it is a stable loop you would immediately start dumping resources/research back in time to be worked on. There's an interesting premise in the concept of being the "past" selves receiving a huge resource/data dump every x period of time and things changing drastically between transmissions because of how they use the future resources.

Honestly, I agree with everyone else talking about this having the feel of a Christian film that got a big budget thrown at it. The future portal being hell/rapture feels more coherent than what was actually presented.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do wonder if the entire future part where he's hanging out with his daughter was the result of reshoots because neither of the established side characters are there for it (but show back up once it is over) and the entire thing has absolutely no bearing on the plot because he comes back with the toxin, nobody does anything with it and it doesn't help in the actual defeat of the aliens.

Also the toxin stuff is nonsense as it works on the males but not the females, so they don't use it. Even though they point out that the majority of aliens are males.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
We can speculate as to reshoots quite a lot but, in the completed film, the toxin doesn’t need to actually work. It just needs to convince Pratt to smuggle a bunch of weapons to Siberia.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh good I was hoping there'd be a thread for this, the dumbest movie I've ever seen. There aren't many movies I outright regret seeing but this one was appallingly stupid and I wish I hadn't. Anyone still on the fence, please don't make the mistake of thinking "this is dumb but probably the fun kind of dumb"; things like the GI Joe movies or Fast & Furious are the fun kind of dumb, watch those instead, this is just a waste of opportunity all around.

Chris Pratt talking to his students about making a collective effort to save the future with science while a climate change report is literally playing on a screen next to him (during class, why) for anyone who hasn't got the analogy yet, except the movie is so muddled and refuses to engage with its themes so hard that the collective action is "we have to shoot climate change with our guns", until it turns out the aliens are literally frozen like methane deposits so it becomes more like SHOOT THE GREENHOUSE GASES YEEHAW

There's traces of a lot of good movies in here; Alien, Starship Troopers, Terminator, to only name a few, except where those had a consistent plot and themes this has a Lifetime Christmas movie.

The whole setup is a determinism nightmare. Future army has records on everyone's cause of death and tells them when they're going to die; 80% of their records are going to say "didn't return from the time travel tour." That alone could have been a great central theme: the moral implications of sending people to their violent deaths for no other reason than history shows you did, and that maybe the other 20% will do something worthwhile.

also I swear to god when it came time to design the aliens someone pulled a bunch of animation assets from an unrealized Dungeons & Dragons project off their shelf and reskinned a Displacer Beast

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

There were definitely opportunities for twists that could've turned it into an OK (maybe even good?) movie:

- Chris Pratt could've caused the invasion by accidentally freeing the aliens from the ship

- The "future people" could've known there are multiple timelines, and are recruiting people from timelines without alien invasions to fight their own invasion.

- Hell, maybe it's not a time machine at all, it's a multiverse transit machine, hence the future people being so shady about everything.

Whatever. I paused the movie after Chris timejumps back, and got angry that there was still 40 minutes left, then angrily watched the rest.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So I give +5 (out of 10) to any movie involving warships, robot apocalypses, or alien invasions, especially if time travel is involved. So I actually liked this, even though it was clearly not as good as Edge of Tomorrow or even Independence Day. But Because of the +5 modifier I also liked (as in didn't regret watching) Battleship and Battle: Los Angeles so take that for what you will. It was better than the 5th Wave though, on account of not having the plot of an Outer Limits episode.

So my thoughts on things that other people noticed here and elsewhere (not trying to defend it - maybe if you have to guess and fill in the blanks like I did it wasn't explained well enough):

The future war still going 12 months after the 11 months "we will all be dead": Throwing tons of people into the future meat grinder must have only bought a month and a bit before the end of humanity. Which honestly makes the whole thing even more horrific.

Why spend so little time on training: Because time in the present passes as the same rate as in the past (starting at the time the bridge was created), they need bodies in the meatgrinder altogether. I assume that all eligible military personnel of the world were expended by the time they switched to the draft, and the future's insatiable hunger for bodies was just that great.

People sent to the future still in whatever they were wearing when they showed up: poo poo must have been so desperate that they were only outfitting people with the bare minimum possible before sending them. Deaths were awarded with $1,000,000 to the families, which is more money than the equipment would cost, but money is essentially just made up anyway and they must have been sending so many people that production was an issue.

War protesters: When you're told there is a threat on the other side of the planet it's a hard thing to buy. When you're told that something may or may not actually happen in 25 years it's a bit harder to buy - combined with the massive human cost I can totally buy people protesting.

500,000 people left but only 50% of the military being eligible: It's possible that something super catastrophic happens if you send someone who is still alive in the destination time. So maybe they are making sure they absolutely only send people who are 100% confirmed to be dead, and not hiding out somewhere or among the remaining civilian population.

How do they have so many planes and helicopters in an apocalypse situation: The aircraft were normal real-life things like Blackhawks and F-35s so maybe present day Earth was churning out as many as they could produce and sending them forward in time. (Edit: I went back to check and realized I didn't notice that the attack helicopters defending the sea fortress were futuristic things, not real-life helicopters, but the other aircraft were real-life things.)

Humvee convoy showing up out of nowhere just to get owned: I assume that the convoy was meant to be the original escape plan for the research team and things were so hastily thrown together because of the emergency situation.

The aliens are just animals, they shouldn't be able to defeat a military with air power: If they were able to overrun the sea fortress the way they did, nowhere is safe, not even aircraft carriers (and we saw the wreck of one, too.) Planes have to land sometime, and airfields will be vulnerable to them.

No one wanted to believe Dan about the toxin and alien location: As far as everyone was concerned, the aliens won't be there for like 25 years but the world is on fire now.

Dan's dad was shown with a prop plane in the hangar but they have a cargo plane: It's mentioned that he services C-130s so I assume he just decided to steal one of those.

Where were the people who were evacuating the last outpost going: I assume to try to stave off death for any amount of time longer, even if it's only hours. gently caress dying if there's even a remote possibility, IMO.

Why not search for the alien ship from air: I assume that there would only be a limited time until interceptors show up, assuming Russia is in shape to patrol its airspace.

WTF cruise ships?: If you need to evacuate people to the sea I can't think of a better place to put people than a massive ship designed to carry and take care of large numbers of people for long periods. Though with all the people you can see crowded on the decks it was probably like hell on board one of them.

How did Dan's father know about the aliens smelling blood: There would have been plenty of time to tell him how the aliens work and how to fight them on the way to Russia.

The toxin is a really lame superweapon: I'm assuming they'd aerosolize it and spray it from air instead of injecting it one by one.

Can you or can't you change the future?: I assume you can change the future but things that happen in the present won't be reflected in the future that it has been bridged to, but will take place in another timeline altogether. So the alien apocalypse future will always been an alien apocalypse, and a new timeline arises from the events that take place in the present following the time travel bridge being created.

My thought on weird things or plot holes:

They said he'd be gone one week but there was to be one week of training and a one week tour of duty for a total of two weeks. Before the "time passes in the present and future at the same rate" bit was explained I thought that the return trip of the survivors would have been seconds (in the present) after their departure. So to observers, the draftees leave for the future and a few moments later the survivors appear in the same place. In that case, the total time away for survivors in the present would be one week. But that isn't how it worked! (This is honestly the most minor thing but it makes me wonder if the time travel mechanics were changed and this was an oversight.)

Miami on fire was a cool visual but how did the fires even happen? (I guess if it was like the last city of humanity and the aliens had just swarmed it, there might have been damage that caused electrical fires, and recent use of heavy weapons causing collateral damage, but wouldn't there be a fuckton more aliens out and about if it was that bad?)

Who popped the red smoke for the airstrikes?

Why was the research lab in just a normal building in the middle of the city?

Why not send samples back in time and do the research in an environment with more resources that you don't have to protect?

I felt like there was going to be a much bigger theme of PTSD than there ended up being.

Supposedly only Dan, Charlie, and Dorian survived from the wave that was sent out but there were many more people pulled back in time at the end of the tour.

Escaping from the nest in the Humvees and just sort of ending up at the beach with no urgency was a bit of a letdown when I was expecting a chase sequence.

A C-130 seems like a bit of an ask to sneak into Russian airspace. (I guess maybe the world being in chaos was a factor though.)

I can buy these aliens overrunning an aircraft carrier or warship and killing everyone inside, but I do wonder how they managed to actually tear it apart.

There had to have been a better way to capture the queen than just lassoing her. No one invented powered exoskeletons in 25 years? (Or would that be too derivative of Aliens?)

IMO they should have just blown up the ship to begin with if they even had that many explosives. I guess they thought that it was just that one set of alien sacs, but the lack of a queen in their number should probably have been a hint that there were more to be found.

In the category of "if they did this there wouldn't be a movie" but: Why not just evacuate all eligible people from the future with whatever knowledge and samples they can, and prepare Earth for the invasion? (It's possible that they think humanity would be boned in that case, even with 25 years of preparation, unless they buy enough time in the future to develop the toxin. If they abandoned the future as soon as the bridge was made, they would never have had a queen to collect samples from to finalize the toxin.)

IMO not as nonsensical as some people found it, even if it's not the best thing I've ever seen. Good visuals. Very tonally inconsistent - I feel like there's always some room for levity, but it got a little silly during the Miami scene when the characters were the tiny number of survivors from a botched drop into Hell on Earth. I actually outright hated how the escape from the queen's nest via humvee was the end of that and wasn't part of a chase scene. What seemed like a multi-generational PTSD theme - Vietnam, Iraq, and then the war against the Whitespikes - was thrown away instead of built upon.

Edit: I thought that the visuals of the sea fortress and the later battle in it were pretty cool - it felt suitably apocalyptic for the last stand of the human race. I also thought the fight against the alien queen on the icefield was pretty good. Not the best fight I've ever seen in a movie, but better than the other close-quarters fight scenes in this movie. Also had a bit more meaning to it with the father and son teamup. Maybe it was a little too perfect and tied-up-with-a-bow-on-top, but I liked the ending.

Re: the religious theming, I didn't notice as much because I wasn't on the lookout for it. But the time travel to the future scene 100% looked like a depiction of people being raptured to me.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 28, 2021

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Time travel is ruined and Pratt has the toxin in the past but somehow no one can think of any reason this might be helpful. Pratt even gets to keep the toxin its so worthless now.

As quoted. This was s very Bad but still Watchable movie but this part really takes me out of it.

I don't know why. But it just took me out. I had to remind and watch it again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

First question does anyone know why the hell the quality of Amazon’s downloads are such absolute poo poo? Like it’s compressed to hell and back.

Affi posted:

Time travel is ruined and Pratt has the toxin in the past but somehow no one can think of any reason this might be helpful. Pratt even gets to keep the toxin its so worthless now.

Yeah just one of the many wtf parts of this movie.

The toxin seems pretty good at killing the males why not use bullets made of that?

gently caress this stupid movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The movie is so dumb that it takes an unpredictable quality, since no plot development is moored to the idea that it should make any sense. Until finally it's just utterly predictable and that's the joke.