Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Mamma mia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Poohs Packin posted:

OP I got fired from a corporate chef job after they hired some ex-navy executive chef who had zero restaurant experience. I called him out for not knowing what he was doing and then had crosshairs on my back for a few months. The guy was an exec chef and didnt know what a bechamel was.

He tried to get other employees to spy on me. They pretty much immediately informed me of it. He then held some bullshit "performance review" which was just to establish a paper trail.

It was all so clear that the guy just didnt like me and wanted to build his own team. He brought in a number of spineless chefs that would "yes chef" him all day long. One of them got fired for sending dick pics to a straight employee, which angered and confused his fiancee.

Eventually he let me go when a fryer dripped on the floor overnight. He accused me of leaving the place looking like a disaster or some other hyperbolic nonsense.

Getting fired ended upbeing a turning point in my life. I went to cook for a kids summer camp, so i could recharge the spiritual batteries. I ended up meeting my now wife (director not a camper) while there, and moving country. Ive changed careers and life has never been better.

Deffo sign up for unemployment ASAP. The sooner you sign up the sooner you get a check. Even if you dont need it, its good to have that extra bit rolling in for groceries and bills. If youre able, take a bit of time to process, but dont wallow. I think I wallowed for 2 days and it was just wasted time. I couldve been enjoying myself.

Youll be fine OP. See it as an opportunity, a kick in the rear end, or the universe telling you that you were on thr wrong path. Shell be right mate.

Jesus Christ you should have just beat the loving poo poo out of him and his goons and sued the restaurant.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I've been doing the same job for 23 years. Sometimes I think it would be good to be fired so I get to try something else in my life before I retire.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Here you go OP

This is for you

I mean, in spirit, because you're not here but still

May you find the job you deserve (in a good way not a bad way I'm sure something good will happen to you soon!!)

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

The Grey posted:

I've been doing the same job for 23 years. Sometimes I think it would be good to be fired so I get to try something else in my life before I retire.

That’s my nightmare btw

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Jesus Christ you should have just beat the loving poo poo out of him and his goons and sued the restaurant.

Lol the guy he hired made everyone in the kitchen uncomfortable. He looked like peewee hermann but affected a "hood" accent and constantly talked about pussy.

Then he was DMing one of the male line cooks. I felt really bad for the guy. His fiancee found all these sexy texts from a man on his phone and was justifiably confused and angry.

Im pretty sure they got class actioned for sexual harassment while I was at another location. I knew the place had a serious culture problem when we had a discussion about banning rap music (they had a dj on friday nights) during a management meeting so as to "not attract the wrong crowd". This was in Detroit. Idiots.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

shadowvine118 posted:

‘Anybody got any ideas on how I can cheer up and and ignore my failure of a life?

Tell them you'd rather run into a burning building than work for them any longer anyway. Then sign up to be a fireman with your local department just to prove the point. For extra salt in the wound you could discover you actually really do enjoy your new spite career and lead a happy successful life without them.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
i had my review yesterday and was told i'd be fired if i don't shape up in 90 days

the trouble is i was never told what shaping up involves or looks like, so yeah, gently caress my life and save me a spot in the unemployment line, op

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Poohs Packin posted:

Lol the guy he hired made everyone in the kitchen uncomfortable. He looked like peewee hermann but affected a "hood" accent and constantly talked about pussy.

Then he was DMing one of the male line cooks. I felt really bad for the guy. His fiancee found all these sexy texts from a man on his phone and was justifiably confused and angry.

Im pretty sure they got class actioned for sexual harassment while I was at another location. I knew the place had a serious culture problem when we had a discussion about banning rap music (they had a dj on friday nights) during a management meeting so as to "not attract the wrong crowd". This was in Detroit. Idiots.

God it gets darker. You can’t ever seem to get it all out of a restaurant. Like the ihop around here has a decent kitchen but the waitstaff is half people who walk up and fart on you and then find some way to call you a n-word during your meal. I got into a 10 minute spat with this douche about ordering a bowl of loving fruit for like 10 minutes and he kept saying “it’s 3.99” like I’m not allowed to order a 3.99 bowl of fruit because it’s too expensive for me. Then some other waitress asks me if I want ranch dressing a minimum of 6 times and still brings out ranch when I say no. And they all fart on me. I stopped going there even though the food is good. Like I just can’t do it without throwing fists. :shrug:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just remembered I watched the hostess there break 2 pens trying to write on some receipt for some bullshit that he thought customers weren’t entitled to or something. Like they brought their own diabetic syrup and he wasn’t having it or something and he hosed UP 2 PENS and didn’t get fired.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That sounds like kind of experience you'd pay for in the privacy of your home

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That sounds like kind of experience you'd pay for in the privacy of your home

I thought the tip covered that, it certainly wasn’t for the good service. The Kremlin does pay pretty poorly from what I hear tho. :shrug:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

i had my review yesterday and was told i'd be fired if i don't shape up in 90 days

the trouble is i was never told what shaping up involves or looks like, so yeah, gently caress my life and save me a spot in the unemployment line, op

gently caress 'em. Get your resume in order and start looking now, and get out before they can throw you out.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Code Jockey posted:

gently caress 'em. Get your resume in order and start looking now, and get out before they can throw you out.

Yo, I’m totally gonna do that and I appreciate your encouragement and all the cool goons who have cheered up our op who seems to have turned the corner too

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its far easier to get a job when you have a job plus its an opportunity to negotiate higher pay.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

I’m probably in the same position, because I’ve been sick as gently caress while working from home and I finally just took short term disability leave. But I had been put on a pip previous to that. Still sick.

I’m wondering how much their call volume has gone up without me there, though, since my productivity is low due to fixing everyone else’s mistakes after talking callers down from being rightfully pissed off that the previous 5 times they called, the person they spoke to had no clue what they were talking about or just got them off the phone as quickly as possible while feeding them misinformation.

While I’ve been sick, I’ve been trying to figure out if I want to try to advance in the company because the stupid is just so ducking clear and easy to change. But then I run into the same issue I keep having where nobody knows who to contact to get clarification on anything. I can’t tell if my superiors are talking these positions without finding out what their responsibilities are or if they just don’t actually know how to go about finding out who to contact in various departments to fix all of this little poo poo. (Hint: if you have a number or email for that department and are polite, you can usually get clarification easily)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I wish I was fucken fired

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
OP, I highly recommend a quality of life focused employer. I took a little bit of a pay cut, but my recent job change has done wonders for my overall mental health, it's amazing. My biggest complaint is how boring it is, lol. Moreover, having more than average pto to accrue(I dunno like, 4 weeks min accrued after a year and up from there?) is a lot more appealing than I think we are all kind of programmed to think is acceptable.

I don't know how much you loved your job, but if you got fired, it probably wasn't that great. Find a job you can punch in, zone out, punch out and have energy to go live real life when your shift is up. Smoke weed, also. Self care is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'm up to four interviews now, two tomorrow for two different places. I'm happy that I feel valued and that I can find places that want to interview me.

In response to the poster above, I actually was about to go into a second round with an organization that probably would have been a surefire hire. As I thought about it over the weekend, however, the work-life balance seemed nonexistent. The interviewer was eating lunch during the interview (which I'm not gonna fault him for), I would have been an independent contractor and they asked if I was cool working until 8 some nights and weekends. Also he was obviously working during the weekend as he emailed me about the job. Honestly, I couldn't see myself happy so I withdrew my application.

I do sort of wonder whether I made the right decision, because the org seemed interesting to me, but honestly, I probably would have been miserable.