Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hello everyone. I wanted to start this thread to talk about what is in the title. Mental Health.

In a lot of ways, Mental Health is something that is increasingly on the mind of a large number of people across a large number of different nations. Awareness has been raised over the previous 3 decades to the point at which even royalty is considering it "okay" to talk about how depression and loss have affected them. This is a good thing with increasingly large numbers of people becoming aware of their behaviours and how they influence their view of the world. It also hopefully means that fewer people will feel the need to suffer in silence about their own feelings.

However, this also means that there has been a similar sort of rise in the amount of people saying that "[person] only believes [opinion] because they are [mental illness]" and other statements. I believe that this is meant to imply that certain political views are simply the result of mental ill health and not material concerns. We see this in our own forums and elsewhere with the focus on "doomerism" and critique of a "lol nothing matters" attitude. Whilst I would personally disagree with this analysis I think that starting a topic about it might be a good idea.

The first thing that I would like to ask people is what they consider good mental health? Now, obviously this seems like a simple question, everyone imagines that it is simply the opposite of “bad” mental health, but that does not necessarily follow. Whilst it has become increasingly common for us to look at symptoms and diagnose a particular condition it has also become harder and harder to define what a “completely healthy” mental health outlook looks like. Personally I would contend that there is not a singular model of mental health that should be adhered to, but instead consideration given to what we define as “useful” or “normal” thinking.

This leads into a second thing to discuss. A few years ago I read something that made me concerned for the person writing it. It was “I do not want to be cured of depression, I just want to be able to manage it”. Now, to me at least, that sounded somewhat worrying. But the more I thought about it the more reasonable it seems if you look at things through the “social model” of illness. This model holds that whilst there are differences caused by illness in people; lack of mobility, loss of eyesight and so on, those differences only become “disabling” because the surrounding society refuses to accommodate them. A classic example would be refusing to have large print books for the poorly sighted, because they “do not look aesthetic” or not providing ramps to buildings because “that would ruin the exterior”.

These two basic ideas are ones that I find very interesting, but can also see criticisms of. I am also very much aware that this is something that can be quite contentious, so I wanted to ask other people their opinions. To see how other people view mental health in politics, what models should be used for it and what you personally believe is a good solution/ viewpoint.

Thank you all very much for your time. Keep safe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey Josef, thanks for making the thread. This is a very important issue to me, as it is to a lot of goons.

Josef bugman posted:

The first thing that I would like to ask people is what they consider good mental health? Now, obviously this seems like a simple question, everyone imagines that it is simply the opposite of “bad” mental health, but that does not necessarily follow. Whilst it has become increasingly common for us to look at symptoms and diagnose a particular condition it has also become harder and harder to define what a “completely healthy” mental health outlook looks like. Personally I would contend that there is not a singular model of mental health that should be adhered to, but instead consideration given to what we define as “useful” or “normal” thinking.
"What does it mean to be in good mental health" is a fascinating question that I see discussed very rarely.

I think good mental health can be defined as a consistent sense of self. We have this idea of "a personality" that is in many ways a social construct. It becomes very obvious to a mentally ill person, as they go through periods of their life and different medications and etc, that "personality" is a very fluid idea. While everyone has some immutable characteristics (mostly genetic), I've joked with my bipolar friends that "nobody is actually anything." Mental illness gives you a real front row seat to the idea that how you live is driven much more by unconscious reactions and your environment than any decisions you make about "who you are." I think that principle applies to people who aren't "mentally ill," but they just haven't had the opportunity to, I dunno, "notice" it.

I think most "mental illness," especially depression, is not a symptom of an actual brain "problem," but just a symptom of a society that tries to put everybody in the square hole, even if some of the pegs aren't square. If you're not wealthy, there is only really one way to live in the western world, and not everybody is cut out for it. The result is people who do their best at living that life, but are in pain. Sometimes they abuse substances to get by. Sometimes they give up. Mental illness, even physically diagnosable ones, can usually be mitigated by changing people's life circumstances - but our societies give us very few options for how to live and even fewer opportunities to change.

Here is a good TED talk (sorry, but it's good) by Johann Hari on the subject of holistic mental health treatment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB5IX-np5fE

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Mentally healthy is having use of your full range of emotions.

Being angry or scared or negative is not mental illness. But that being your only reaction across many different topics is.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Thanks for making this thread, Josef. I have encountered a distinction that I have found useful, albeit in a human resources context, between the states of "mental health" and "mental fitness." I think this is a useful metaphor because most people have a much more intuitive understanding of physical health than mental health, but the parallels are actually really apt.

From that perspective, your mental health is a lot like your physical health. You're "unhealthy" if there's something about your body, or your mind, that is endangering you or causing you pain. With your body, this might be a malfunctioning organ or a virus or an injury, and with your mind this might be anything from a delusion to really bad feelings. But just because you're not in pain or danger doesn't mean you've reached the other end of the spectrum: you can do a lot more to help your mind be more resilient, capable, etc., or you can take actions that aren't strictly "unhealthy" but are definitely not going to make you more fit. In this instance I'd define "fit" as "able to do more", with sort of an open end towards the high end of the spectrum: a fit body can run longer or lift more, and a fit mind can experience a greater range of emotion, endure more, remember more, etc.

While I find this analogy really useful, I know plenty of people who struggle with it. The idea of being in poor mental health is so stigmatized that even when your mind is obviously in a lot of pain, people don't want to acknowledge that as poor health or illness--only the malfunctioning organ, not the virus or injury, is ACTUALLY "mental health." I think recognizing that poor health can come in many degrees of severity and duration is a critical step towards destigmatizing the idea and helping people be more honest with themselves about their situation.

Interested to see where this thread goes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Muscle Tracer posted:

Thanks for making this thread, Josef. I have encountered a distinction that I have found useful, albeit in a human resources context, between the states of "mental health" and "mental fitness." I think this is a useful metaphor because most people have a much more intuitive understanding of physical health than mental health, but the parallels are actually really apt.

From that perspective, your mental health is a lot like your physical health. You're "unhealthy" if there's something about your body, or your mind, that is endangering you or causing you pain. With your body, this might be a malfunctioning organ or a virus or an injury, and with your mind this might be anything from a delusion to really bad feelings. But just because you're not in pain or danger doesn't mean you've reached the other end of the spectrum: you can do a lot more to help your mind be more resilient, capable, etc., or you can take actions that aren't strictly "unhealthy" but are definitely not going to make you more fit. In this instance I'd define "fit" as "able to do more", with sort of an open end towards the high end of the spectrum: a fit body can run longer or lift more, and a fit mind can experience a greater range of emotion, endure more, remember more, etc.

While I find this analogy really useful, I know plenty of people who struggle with it. The idea of being in poor mental health is so stigmatized that even when your mind is obviously in a lot of pain, people don't want to acknowledge that as poor health or illness--only the malfunctioning organ, not the virus or injury, is ACTUALLY "mental health." I think recognizing that poor health can come in many degrees of severity and duration is a critical step towards destigmatizing the idea and helping people be more honest with themselves about their situation.

Yeah, I would agree with this overall, and I think it can be useful to break it down into multiple parts here. I look at it a little differently but mostly the same. On one end you have diagnosable conditions that benefit from treatment: depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, addiction, etc. That's sort of the equivalent of a broken leg, or cancer, or what-have-you. It's going to interfere with your life significantly, and has the possibility of being very harmful or deadly, and you basically need to treat it. But that's only one aspect of mental health or mental wellness. The other side is more like physical fitness, as you describe, and I think this is something where we need to work more on building awareness.

There's a whole range between "has a diagnosable mental illness" and "is resilient and in control of their emotions and is able to deal with stress and anxiety and frustration in a productive manner almost all the time." And just like you wouldn't say "oh, he's not got cancer or anything, he doesn't need to exercise" you wouldn't say "he's not mentally ill, he doesn't need to see a therapist or focus on mental wellness." We should normalize paying attention to and taking care of one's mental well-being even in the absence of mental illness, just as we largely have normalized getting exercise for physical health even in the absence of disease.

I think it's important to look at that distinction as we deal with the fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic. One area where it's become particularly visible is on airliners, where incidents of passenger misbehaviour have skyrocketed. Mental illness -- in the sense of actual diagnosable disease -- likely did not expand by 20 times over the course of the pandemic. But they are not sufficiently mentally well/mentally fit (to use your metaphor) to handle everything that's going on, with an additionally stressful situation. If I say to you "could you please lift this 100 pound box into the back of my car" and you say "no, I can't, that's too heavy" that doesn't mean you're ill or disabled or broken in some way, it means you're not sufficiently fit to do that. If you try it, you might injure yourself. We are seeing that with mental health, I think: everything that's gone on recently has basically meant that we're asking people to "lift" a lot more, and a lot of them aren't "fit" enough to do it, and when one additional stressful situation is added abruptly, there occurs whatever the mental equivalent of throwing one's back out is.

I think we've made significant strides in de-stigmatizing mental illness, which is great, but it's not the whole solution. We also need to normalize working to better one's mental health in the absence of any particular problem or pathology, so when you need your mind to lift that extra weight, you can do it safely and don't end up duct-taped to an airliner seat after you bit a person. In a more general sense, we also need to be more understanding of people whose mental wellness might be a bit depleted at the moment. If I asked you to lift that 100 pound box into the back of my car and you said "no, I think I will injure myself," my response would be "okay, let's find a way to do it safely," not, "oh, c'mon, just do it you pussy."

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I agree that people should know it’s important that they pay attention to their mental health, even if they’re “not mentally ill.”

But at the same time, I am extremely wary about applying anything about how we think of “physical fitness” to how we think about mental health. What we see with physical health is societal failures papered over with moralizing directed at the failures of individuals. Obesity rates have increased, what, fourfold over the last 50 years? This suggests that something about our society has changed in a way that makes physical fitness much more difficult for people to attain.

But a lot of people still seem to think of the obesity epidemic as if 30-40% of the population just “became” lazy and gluttonous around 1990. The successes in individuals, which are rare, are held over the heads of people who are not successful. Meanwhile, our society keeps demanding we sit in chairs eight hours a day and keeps showing us ads for McDonald’s every 10 minutes when we’re trying to watch the NBA Finals.

I’m afraid of a future where people who have never struggled with their mental health start telling ill people, “Why can’t you just feel better - it’s just [mental equivalent of calories] in, [mental equivalent of calories] out!”

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

I’m afraid of a future where people who have never struggled with their mental health start telling ill people, “Why can’t you just feel better - it’s just love in, jive out!”

Fixed that for you

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

I think this may actually be a really useful way to look at underlying issues of mental health, and I think it has a lot to do with how our lives are structured in Western society. A cursory Google search will give all sorts of iterations of the same reasons why people don't tend to their physical health - "I'm too tired to exercise, I don't have time to exercise, I'm too tired to cook, I don't have time to cook, eating healthy is expensive." - all the common refrains for why people don't tend to their daily physical health can almost certainly be massaged to fit the mental health discussion: It's a lot of work to find a therapist, I don't have time to research providers, I don't have time to 'audition' providers to figure out who the pill pushers are and who the actual caregivers are, my insurance doesn't cover it, there's no one to watch the kids, I'm too busy, it's expensive/inaccessible and so on and so on.

The average Western life has largely been consumed by the notion that time not spent being productive towards some end is wasteful time or a necessary interruption. On any given day, most Westerners have a minimum of eight hours dedicated to the creation of wealth for someone else (1/3 of a day), a suggested 8 hours spent sleeping (another 1/3 of a day), and another alleged 8 hours "for themselves" - though that 1/3 we have left for ourselves diminishes rather rapidly once we add in the things that adults are expected to do - cooking, cleaning, restocking, paying bills, learning a new skill/trade to advance your career, some people have kids or animals, some more people have kids or animals that need special attention/extra time, and we're expected to make time to tend to both our physical fitness through a disciplined exercise regimen and take time for quiet, reflective introspection to tend to our mental health.

I posit that we live in a society where we aren't afforded the opportunity to tend to our mental health, and I feel that's best represented and argued visually:

I can only speak as an American, but it feels like it's really difficult to not feel overwhelmed by nothing more than the stresses of every day life in Western society when ~8% of weekdays aren't owed to forces outside your own agency (sleep is nice, but it's not time I get to spend enacting my own agency - if I could get by without it, I absolutely would reclaim that time to do ANYTING OTHER THAN RESPONSIBILITIES), one glorious weekend day is spent at home depot or lowe's and maybe buttressed by a late-Saturday cookout, and then we get to spend all day Sunday dreading the inevitability of the alarm clock at 6AM to start the cycle all over again.

It's quite honestly no real surprise at all that the mental health sector of the pharmaceutical industry is being valued as high as $16b by 2023. The very society we live in is manufacturing the conditions to create an epidemic of depression and anxiety.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 13, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mellow Seas posted:

I agree that people should know it’s important that they pay attention to their mental health, even if they’re “not mentally ill.”

But at the same time, I am extremely wary about applying anything about how we think of “physical fitness” to how we think about mental health. What we see with physical health is societal failures papered over with moralizing directed at the failures of individuals. Obesity rates have increased, what, fourfold over the last 50 years? This suggests that something about our society has changed in a way that makes physical fitness much more difficult for people to attain.

But a lot of people still seem to think of the obesity epidemic as if 30-40% of the population just “became” lazy and gluttonous around 1990. The successes in individuals, which are rare, are held over the heads of people who are not successful. Meanwhile, our society keeps demanding we sit in chairs eight hours a day and keeps showing us ads for McDonald’s every 10 minutes when we’re trying to watch the NBA Finals.

I’m afraid of a future where people who have never struggled with their mental health start telling ill people, “Why can’t you just feel better - it’s just [mental equivalent of calories] in, [mental equivalent of calories] out!”

To be fair, "fit" isn't the opposite of "overweight or obese" and that's a huge part of the problem with our perception of physical fitness. There are plenty of people who are overweight who are nonetheless strong and have good endurance and good general health, and plenty of skinny people who are not at all fit. How we address people who do not fit with our ideal of how bodies should look is a separate issue.

With mental health, largely, we're dealing with the equivalent of someone who can't climb two flights of stairs without getting winded, simply because they've never been asked or required to do anything to improve their mental fitness beyond "don't be disruptively crazy in public."

But I agree it's not easy to maintain that sort of fitness either physically or mentally, given what society expects of people. That's one thing that needs to change, for sure.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
what matters to me in terms of defining mental illness will always come down to mental disorder. does it make your life disordered? does it create disorder that impedes your life? then it is a disorder, like any other nominally "physical" one, like a club foot that keeps you from wanting to go out, or eczema that inspires self-isolation. nobody else really needs to validate that for you or to you or think of it as a separate more nebulous 'less real disease'

and it generally requires treatment to help manage.

so any discussion on mental health only starts with the question of categorizing ranges of disorder. then, as usual, it spits into questions of social accommodation, ethical availability of medical coverage, cultural attitudes, acceptance, when mental illness is just a normal response to an inhospitable living environment, what to ethically do about THAT, and just about everything else on top.

a BIL has been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks before, and my level of involvement was to gently attempt to persuade that they look into getting a therapist through the health coverage they have, but staying hands off outside of always offering my help if needed. they started driving this year and recently my wife revealed to me that through conversations with my MIL we had to realize the combination of driving PLUS the anxiety/panic disorder created their first true life disorder: when they get an anxiety attack, they start recklessly speeding home no matter where they are, at times going well over a hundred miles an hour. he has literally only been driving for months, but if he is sparked into an anxiety event he becomes completely reckless.

so now we have to do more, especially involving their (likely to be former) participation in helping drive around an 11 year old. the issue becomes paramount because now we are talking about, literally, their ability to drive. to self-transport.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
To take off a bit from Lib and Let die, I do think it is interesting to look at how much mental health is a societal definition as well as anything else.

I know the old joke about "we live in a society" but how much of our current issues around mental health are caused by, defined by, and in opposition to societal constructs?

For instance, is despair the correct response to climate change? Is hope?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Great OP, op. Lotta good points ITT.

Over the past hundred years or so there have been a few people who have tried to define Mental Health for the same purposes this thread tries to. Each of them had a way to measure mental health. I'll list them below (in very abbreviated terms):

Freud - The more you've brought the unconscious to the conscious, the more mentally healthy you are.
Satir - The better you can communicate, the more mentally healthy you are.
Perls - Pieces of your Self have been shoved away for a number of reasons. The more pieces you've brought back the more mentally healthy you are.
Melanie Klein - You think there is a good tittie and a bad tittie. That thinking makes you mentally unhealthy. If you can come to understand both titties are from the same person, you will be mentally healthy.
Minuchin - Believes there is no such thing as mental health in an individual. There are only bad structures within a family system. Break the structures and set them right (as you would a bone). The better the structures, the more mentally healthy you/they are.
Bowen - His measurement of mental health was called Differentiation. The more differentiated a person was from their family, the more mentally healthy they are.
Jung - Same as Freud but better. Both he and Carl Whitaker believed there was no such thing as mental health. They would have thought this thread stupid and pedestrian (I do not, to be clear). “Psychopathology is proof of psychological health. The individual who is distorted in his thinking is essentially carrying on an open war in himself rather than capitulating to the social slavery. His delusion system and his hallucinations are a direct result of this war with his lifetime situation—the stresses of his living and his efforts to defeat those stresses rather than become a non-person and a social robot.” (Whitaker and Ryan, 1989) Jung used to say, "Bring me a sane man and I'll cure him." And Whitaker famously wrestled a client in the middle of therapy who had tackled him to the ground, so, ya know.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 14, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Great summary, thanks! Definitely a good start to any reading list on the subject.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
CW: The following discusses suicidal ideation in the context of my personal experiences . I have no intention to act upon these thoughts, but they are omnipresent I feel that bringing them up, and the frustration they bring, is important to the post. I am seeing a psych, and getting some of the medication I need for the (minimal) improvements it has given.
---------

The following is very E/N, and is bumping a two week dead thread, and very tl;dr, and for that I apologize. However I feel expressing my opinions in the context of my experiences is important for making my point.

As someone who has struggled with mental health issues to the point I am disabled and constantly suicidal, the trip through the mental health system has always been with a focus for "getting back to work". After two decades of attempted employment, I had my fourth or fight mental breakdown and applied for disability. I was recently denied social security disability because I made the mistake of one time in the middle of the process telling a doctor I was "feeling better", which was used by the judge as evidence I could improve, and therefore wasn't consistently disabled for a year per their definitions i.e. only "moderately" depressed rather than the "severe" qualification. My pain and suffering was means-tested and I was found wanting. The judge said my constant desire for suicide and being completely overwhelmed was "neither particularly moving nor relevant" in his judgement.

Mental health is, it seems, largely an ideological position. Someone pointed out a lot of conditions, like ADHD, are named after the symptoms that annoy neurotypicals/bosses/authority figures the most, rather than the things that harm the affected person the most i.e. in my case it would be the constant feeling that my mind is a misfiring, cloudy, mush of rapid fire, incoherent thoughts, moving far too fast to articulate. An engine set in neutral and the gas slammed on, revving it to 7000 RPM but going nowhere.

When I get grilled everytime I mention suicidal ideation, they ask about anger. Literally any and all anger is seen as bad and something to learn how to control and suppress and not express. I feel I am being interrogated for trigger phrases so they can have me involuntarily committed; to be deprived of my liberty and incarcerated for "helpful" reasons, is a fate I find worse than death. Sometimes it feels like mental health is just to keep rent-generating bipeds minimally functional and compliant.

I cannot function in a job. Its not lack of skills, its inability to perform "work theater", i.e. the APPEARANCE of being productive. I want to tell everyone who said "fake it until you make it" to gently caress off; for people with autism like myself, who was misdiagnosed as high functioning (because I could temporarily hold down jobs and pay bills but nothing else), you NEVER learn to be nuerotypical or even how to temporarily fake it, even when trying to do so for over two decades of extremely sporadic employment. I am CONSTANTLY twitching and mumbling and pacing and doing stereotypical crazy people behavior and the horror of it is, I'm watching myself do it from own eyes, as if a stranger is controlling my body and I'm helpless to stop any of these bizarre behaviors I see myself constantly doing. At this point, I'm so run ragged that even showing up anywhere on time, even for telecommuting, and reliably doing anything for a period of time, is out of the question. I am functional for approximentally 45minutes to an hour every day, including hygiene and eating. If something takes longer to do than that, I am useless for the entire next day or two.

In fact, your mere existence is a burden around those around you due to constant weird behavior. I remember all those Pick threads of her talking about how autistic men were scum who hurt all those around them just by existing, and while she is a piece of poo poo, the fact of the matter is, while you can build a wheel chair ramp for someone in a wheel chair and give them a higher desk with no chair to work on, accommodating conditions for a moderate functioning autistic person is just forcing neutroypticals to deal with all the weird poo poo we're constantly doing. The stimming, the mumbling, the rocking back and forth, the weird ritualizations of behavior. Everything about this triggers neurotyptical people's "Something is profoundly wrong, go to fight or flight" instincts. Since I'm not doing anything specifically to break the rules, they don't say anything, so the distrust builds and builds and builds until they're knifing me in the back with the boss to get rid of me. Since I can't play it cool, or however you want to phrase it, the eyes of authority figures have always been on me, I have never been able to escape rule enforcers constantly monitoring me and slamming me for any violation.

I held onto jobs for months, or over a year, after I was in full mental breakdown, before quitting. My parents said I gave up too quickly, the disability judge used it as proof I could hold a job since I held on that long.

In the face of this, constant humiliation, constant pressure even among sympathetic people to shape up or gently caress off and die in a gutter, in a world that is smaller and smaller and getting worse and worse as the walls close in on me, self-termination and the total ceasing of existence becomes preferable to any alternative.

All the commie talk about forging some kind of new hopeful world comes off as more of a sick joke everyday. I don't want hope, I don't give a poo poo about luxury automated communism or whatever the gently caress, I just want my pain to end as quickly and as painlessly as possible, and I see no possible future in which I am both alive and not in constant agony. All these fuckers saying "hold on...I know its not fair...but hold on" seem like people admitting they got nothing, the whole loving thing is doomed and none of them have answers.

Making this even worse is all the assholes who say things like "Disabled non-working-in-any-capacity people are lumpenproles, and counterrevolutionary" or that I'm a leech and should gently caress off and die or kill myself. On an industrial, societal wide level, mental health feels like its sweeping all the people who squirt out or fallout of the system and trying to figure a way to throw them back into the hopper of the machine, and those that break entirely get discarded.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 29, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not much but to be honest I think I agree with basically everything you posted, and feel a lot of those things too yeah.

Having been in the position of dealing with suicidal ideation from both sides, with that outlook, I would say that yes it does feel very hollow to simply assert that living is the most important option, but at the same time it's hard to know what else to do. I obviously don't want to tell suffering people to just die even as someone who has genuinely and thoroughly faced the prospect and been unable to really shake the nagging feeling that it was, and is, the best choice I could make. And I think a lot of people who haven't gone through that are even less willing to do that too, but you are right that I think that emotive need comes before people actually being able to articulate a complete explanation for why.

The only way I have been able to square it is that when people just assert the necessity of life, they're doing it because they fundamentally do wish that your life could get better, they want to believe that is possible because their instinctive reaction is that the world cannot simply allow things to be poo poo for someone from start to finish and for there to be no justice for them. Which is a "nice" thought I guess in some respects but from our positions it can definitely feel more than a little like a cruel joke.

But then, the belief that the world can get better is sort of inherently a filter, isn't it? If you believe that it's awful and can't get better, well we know what happens to people who reach that conclusion don't we? The people who are still alive are necessarily some kind of optimist, and I think people who are on the margin where they can really understand what it feels like but aren't dead themselves, are understandably a pretty small minority, which is why most of the people you talk to don't get it. Even people who have been there and survive are, I think, likely to develop a strong aversion to that kind of thinking as a sort of defence mechanism, or perhaps I should say re-develop because I think it's a defence mechanism most people have, because it's again something you need to think in order to keep living.

I agree also that a lot of mental health as it exists is exactly just an exercise in stuffing people back into the box, and I think that's difficult to escape because we live in a society that demands conformity, that is filled with people at every level whose job it is to make people conform to a state that makes some rear end in a top hat money and I don't think mental aberrance is much different from political aberrance in that regard. Except that political aberrance at least is nominally considered to be good by some people.

As I said, I think you're just right, basically. I don't really have much else to add other than that I agree. You put it well and I don't think I can improve that much on most of it.

I guess maybe the only other thing I could offer is that I do, sometimes, on good days, hope that perhaps there could be a combination of political advocacy and mental health understanding from people who have been through this poo poo, so that maybe some people might feel like they have other options in the future. A lot of aspects of politics I think have gotten better from the inclusion of people directly affected by poo poo, coming and demanding stuff that immediately helps them, but it does feel like something that is a long way out there. It does feel sometimes like there are a few more people who understand than there used to be, but it's still an incredibly minority position I think.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 29, 2021

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, the other part is, people with mental conditions that make it hard to deal with real life social interactions, i.e. autism and others, can have extreme difficulty fending off social predators like con men and bosses. (Perversely, my depression saved me in thinking that anyone expressing positive interest in me was trying to con me, and an unfortunate amount of times I've been right). I discovered to my horror some employers seek out autistic employees specifically because its easier to trick and bully them into exploitation.

A minority groups' fight for equality must come from its members, but what if the conditions of being that minority prevent you from talking or communicating well face-to face? Anyone you could put in charge of you could be another social predator, and we might not even recognize it.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Ronwayne posted:

I discovered to my horror some employers seek out autistic employees specifically because its easier to trick and bully them into exploitation.

Do you know of a list calling out these businesses? I want to make sure I don't touch these enterprises with a 10 ft pole. That would be a first step actually for helping out people with autism, call these slimy mfers out.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I don't think it was a specific business so much as general business advice to businesses in general. One of those unspoken awful things HR is looking for. For a more specific example...I'm having trouble finding it, maybe another goon can help.

It was by some old Sun microsystems programmer writing how the ideal employees doesn't care about personal health or personal life and workers that value themselves and demand sane working hours and dignity will drag the entire programming project down. The idea person he describes, nerdy, poor social skills, no girlfriend or wife, can be convinced to work long hours for little to no additional pay, isn't exactly the DSM definition of autism, but close enough.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yezidi Fan Club
Aug 2, 2022

by Pragmatica

Josef bugman posted:

To see how other people view mental health in politics, what models should be used for it and what you personally believe is a good solution/ viewpoint.
'
The recovery model in New York allows us to live our lives with the maximum amount of perceived freedom and security while forging business and policy structures that attempt to shield people from the toxicity of our community.

I am honestly grateful that I am even allowed to continue living knowing how grueling it is for working people.

I laugh with sardonic glee as cruel people who mock and lie in wait for me to stumble fall into the pits they dig by their own hand time and time again.. to the point to where managing my own vindictiveness can be challenging.

As far as interests and hobbies, I find that politics is a Sisyphean and maddening diversion that my peers immerse themselves into to distract themselves from their painful circumstances and primarily to obtain things to which they are not entitled. I recommend single-player video games, reading, and good conversation instead.