Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Good job everyone. Have an apple juice and some crackers while I get the poll and ribbons ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Draft lists for reference. Poll Will be up shortly.

djfooboo
Heroscape
The Game
Castles of Burgundy
Exceed
Pitchcar
Mexican Train Dominoes
Tanto Cuore
Dune
Arkham LCG
The Quest for El Dorado
The Resistance
Spirit Island

Magnetic North
Gaslands Refueled
High Society
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
Volt: Robot Battle Arena
Pictomania
Pandemic Iberia
Demon Worker
D&D
This Guilty Land
Lost Cities
Codenames Duet
Through the Ages

silvergoose
Starcraft
Tichu
Napoleons Triumph
Potato Man
Loopin' Louie
Russian Railroads
Mahjong
Cribbage
The Field of Cloth and Gold
Traumfabrik
Backgammon
Dungeon Petz

Jedit
Cthulhu Wars
Valley of the Kings
Town Centre
Where Am I? Alice in a Mad Tea Party
Power On!
Alubari: A Nice Cup of Tea
Internal Affairs
The Sorcerer's Cave
Eldritch Horror
Blue Lagoon
King Thief Minister
Fast Sloths

DogCop
Cosmic Frog
Sticheln /Stick Em
Antiquity
Fresh Fish
JamSumo
Rolling Stock
Remember Our Trip
Conspiracy
Advanced Civilization
Blue Moon Legends
For Sale
Food Chain Magnate

Dancer

Mechs vs Minions
Mafia/Werewolf
Caylus
Tulip Bubble
Galaxy Trucker
Brass Birm
Hanamikoji
Chess
Dual Gauge
Through the Desert
Welcome to the Dungeon
Pax Pamir 2e

Chill la Chill
Container
Gudetama
Go
Nokosu Dice
Paper Football
Stephenson's Rocket
Winner's Circle
Shogi
Bibi & Tina
Samurai
Airship City

MizuZero
Rising SUn
Cockroach Poker
Hansa Teutonica
Quo Vadis?
Klask
Colt Express
Android Netrunner
Scopa
La Boca
Lost Cities Rivals
Letter Jam
The Estates

Street Horrsing

Eclipse 2e
Dominion
Blokus
Push FIght
Flick em Up DOW
Transamerica
Puzzle Strike
Escape from Colditz
Meltwater
Schotten Totten 2
Oh My Goods
Concordia

El Fideo

Dogs of War
Bohnanza
Ra
Crash Octopus
Junk Art
Paris Connection
Tragedy Looper
Scrabble
Crystallo
LotR The Controntation
Red7
Zendo

Redundant

Blood Bowl
Arboretum
Azul
The Cave
Men at Work
Irish Gauge
Bullet♥︎
Brag
Lorenzo Il Magnifico
Yellow & Yangtze
The Crew
Gloomhaven

Breadnought

Sol: Last Days of a Star
Regicide
Tigris & Euphrates
Scape Goat
Seal Team Flix
Chicago Express
Argent: The Consortium
Acquire
Santiago
Modern Art
Patchwork
The Great Zimbabwe

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 11, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://forms.gle/YFE8RThjd47cq4CL6

For each of the round questions the top 3 responses will get 3/2/1 points respectively and I'll total up the results to definitively determine who the best board gamer is. Feel free to post your analysis, roasts, and especially Zendo dunks.

Please don't pick your own selections. Lurkers please vote as well, not just participants.

Poll will close 48 hours from this post

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 11, 2021

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

https://forms.gle/YFE8RThjd47cq4CL6

For each of the round questions the top 3 responses will get 3/2/1 points respectively and I'll total up the results to definitively determine who the best board gamer is. Feel free to post your analysis, roasts, and especially Zendo dunks.

Please don't pick your own selections.

Do you want observers voting or just players?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

rchandra posted:

Do you want observers voting or just players?

anyone can vote

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
You have some mix ups in the last two comprehensive lists :)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

anyone can vote

Is this to try and make sure Jedit doesn't score 0 again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wrap Up and Results!

I think we had a great draft this year, even if it was more chill and less spicy or meme heavy. The categories turned out mostly great and accomplished the main goal I had for this: to encourage new picks that don't always show up in these drafts. Some inspired creative picks without trying to bend the rules, some were maybe too limiting in scope and required either boring shoe-ins or hypothetical picks, but that's ok.

Here's my thoughts on your drafts:

djfooboo

Dune/Arkham LCG/The Resistance were a solid base in the goon hivemind, but SI really put you over the top and redeemed your shameful pick. El Dorado and Pitchcar were very solid choices in their respective rounds as well. Pretty wholistic and broad appeal in your list.

Magnetic North

One of my favorite lists. Gaslands, High Society, Iberia, TTA, and Pictomania are all games I love and fit the rounds really well. Lost Cities was a snooze pick for all of Knizia but I get that a lot of people have sentimental histories with the game. D&D was my least favorite here because it felt like easy brownie points and beyond the scope of board games.

Silvergoose

Yeah that's a SG draft alright. You caused me to get really frustrated tracking down the Golden Age Hollywood edition of Traumfabrik so thanks for that! Petz, Starcraft, and Tichu are your best picks here. Loopin Louie doesn't get enough love either.

Jedit

I thought you would have the most unique draft and you delivered. You only picked 2 games I'd consider meta (Cthulhu Wars and Blue Lagoon) and every other pick stuck to the round theme well while also being something fresh. Fast Sloths is kind of a snooze pick for the free round, even in the slot you said it fills for you.

DogCop

We have a lot of overlap in taste and your draft always reflects that. You won me a free beer for a bet that you wouldn't take Blue Moon in round 1 so you get bonus points for that. Antiquity/FCM/Blue Moon are all near the top of my favorites, but about half your list are games I haven't played so not quite #1 spot for me. And I'm still not convinced Rolling Stock is much of a game.

Dancer

Another well rounded list with a lot of goon favorites, but also some good sleeper picks like Tulip Bubble and Welcome to the Dungeon. Chess was a boring choice for the oldies round but again, I know a lot of people have love for that beyond board gaming.

MizuZero

Good mix of left field picks and popular games. HT, Netrunner, Estates, and LC Rivals are all great picks, and Klask is the superior Crokinole for casual play. Vadis, Scopa, and La Boca are all new to me. Rising Sun is your weak link.

Street Horrsing

Classiest list aside from the Sirlin pick. Eclipse, Dominion, Blokus, Concordia are all well loved classics, and Meltwater/Schotten Totten 2/ Flick Em Up are good choices to round out the list.

El Fideo

I think this is my favorite list. Dogs of War was a great choice for minis round, Ra is a GOAT auction game, Junk Art is my favorite dexterity game, and Tragedy Looper was top seed for anime round. Too bad you had to go and ruin it in the end.

Redundant

Pretty friendly and approachable list but then you have Blood Bowl and Gloomhaven to balance the scales. Pretty solid approach, though I think draft order may have gotten you in a few spots where you got the slightly worse version of a few picks. Azul and The Crew are new classics so bonus points for that.

Breadnought

Another forerunner IMO. T&E, Scapegoat, CHEX, Modern Art, Patchwork, and TGZ are tough to beat. Sol is your weakest pick by a good bit, with a better round one you probably win for my choice!

Poll Results

Best minis Gaslands + Container. Odd pick in container, but expected as the only euro most goons know here to balance out the traditional minis stuff. Gaslands was my favorite pick followed by Dogs of War (a really great euro).

Card Only

Dominion - duh. Best pick clearly, though High Society and Valley of the Kings are great contenders.

No Cards

Azul - not exciting, but understandable. Go and Ra were the Correct Answers.

>2000 Rank

Fresh Fish + Exceed. Another interesting tie between euro and non-euro. Surprised to see Exceed get this much love though. Fresh Fish as well though, I'm surprised 5 people have played it.

Dexterity

Galaxy Trucker ran away with it. Good unconventional pick. I wasn't sure if I should let real time count as dexterity but being inclusive to let more creative picks worked well I think. Junk Art was my pick and the one I thought would win.

Rust Buckets

Brass Birmingham won because you all like the bad game and CHEX should have gotten 100% of the votes here.

Anime

Tragedy Looper was the clear favorite, though cool to see Bullet get so much love. I'm eager to try that one.

Old Games

D&D + Dune. Dune was the clear favorite here I think, but D&D has broad enough appeal I guess.

Not Binary Male Designed

Arkham wins by default of awareness I think. I think everyone will agree this category was the hardest because sadly there just aren't many non-male designers.

Knizia

Happy to see Modern Art win though I suspect it would be a different result if so many Knizia classics weren't taken in earlier rounds. Surprised El Dorado got second too.

Cheap

I think The Crew was probably the best pick here followed by Resistance and For Sale. Patchwork is my favorite in the list but kinda sliding by the rules because of mass market retail economics.

Free Pick

Not surprised SI won, but surprised FCM didn't perform better.

Overall Points:

Each round awarded 3 points for 1st, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd. Ties split points.

1st - djfooboo 14.5
2nd - Magnetic 10
2nd - dancer 10

Redundant 8.5
breadnought 5
dogcop 5
Street 5
Chill 3.5
el fideo 4.5
Jedit 3
Mizu 2
silvergoose 1

Best Overall Draft

1st - Djfooboo
2nd - Dancer
3rd - Chill
3rd - Breadnought

Pretty consistent at the top for individual rounds vs overall list, though Chill obviously won a lot of favor for sticking to his schtick.

Best List to Take to a Public Game Night

Djfooboo - again consistent with the above results.

List You'd Most Like to Add to Your Collection

Dancer - I think MvM, Birm, and Pamir 2 are the muscle here, but Tulip Bubble is the one I most want from your list.

Favorite Round

>2000 BGG Rank - like I said, best part of these is learning about new to you games and this round did that well.

Worst Single Pick

Tanto Cuore - It's bad, but it's no Zendo

Best Single Pick

Zendo - It's good, but it's no Bibi & Tina

Best Meme

Zendo Dune Box with 7 out of the 11 votes

Worst Meme

DogCop got 5 different votes for 4 different memes :lmao: but the correct answer is L?tt?r Jam

Round Themes You'd Like to See in Future

I'm just going to highlight a few stand out ones here:

Goon designed
Not listed on BGG
BIPOC designers
Kickstarter exclusive
soloable
mechanic specific rounds
war games
non victory point win cons
best MTG replacement
good for kids + adults
high player count
historical

Thanks again for everyone participating, here's your trophy

feel free to post your thoughts and recaps too

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I get the coveted worst draft trophy like in one of my picks so there you are.

And no, the hardest was anime, because anything by Amabel Holland works for the designer round and she's got a number of solid choices.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 13, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Tied for second? I'll take it!

I thought Dancer's list was the best for all three categories. That list is all killer, no filler (except for some nice filler games, of course). When Chess and Mafia/Werewolf are the 'bad' games on your list, your list kicks rear end.

If you look at the stats for the no-cards round, it's crazy. 6 for Azul, 5 each for Go, HT, and SHCD, and 4 for TE & Caylus.

This has given me a huge pile of games to consider trying. *eyes over to his towering, quarantine-induced-retail-therapy shelf of shame towering over him* Maybe in a couple of years.

Thanks for the fun few weeks, Bottom.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Here's my thoughts on your drafts:

Jedit
Fast Sloths is kind of a snooze pick for the free round, even in the slot you said it fills for you.

Well of course it was a snooze pick. They're sloths.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Wow! Definitely didn’t think I’d be competitive, let alone “win”. So many good lists and games on my wishlist and to research list. Good times.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

+1 in the “learned about a lot of interesting-sounding games” column. Thanks for the draft, all!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Gg wp djfooboo, long may you reign! Also gg donk that's some quality meme-ing.

Ive also discovered a bunch of games that I am putting on my already too long list. One day I'll make use of at least some of the information I've gained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Spirit Island was what swayed my hand.