Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I still wonder if there’s any hope for a third game at some point (I believe I heard NEO didn’t sell that well or something but I’m not sure how accurate that is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It didn’t sell up to their expectations but they also did a really lovely job promoting it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It didn’t sell up to their expectations but they also did a really lovely job promoting it.

How well did the first game do in that regard out of curiosity (and was it at least promoted better)?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Neither game in the series sold very well unfortunately.

Square Enix also has unrealistic sales expectations for a lot of their games though.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

I still wonder if there’s any hope for a third game at some point (I believe I heard NEO didn’t sell that well or something but I’m not sure how accurate that is)

Palmtree Panic posted:

Square Enix also has unrealistic sales expectations for a lot of their games though.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

How well did the first game do in that regard out of curiosity (and was it at least promoted better)?

If I remember correctly, it sold ~100k copies in Japan, which they considered a flop at the time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Palmtree Panic posted:

Well they still made a second game in spite of that (and even did a remake of the original on the Switch complete with a brand new postgame campaign along with an anime adaption) so maybe a third still isn’t completely out of the realm of possibility then

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 26, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

NEO apparently did poorly, too:

quote:

NEO: The World Ends With You was the highest selling new release of the week, opening at 18,799 sales on Switch and 9,248 sales on PlayStation 4

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, about the only promotional stuff I ever saw outside of the trailer was the banner on the eShop that day it released.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, about the only promotional stuff I ever saw outside of the trailer was the banner on the eShop that day it released.

Did Square promote the first game all that much when it originally came out on the DS for that matter?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I know I only heard about the original from fuckin x-play covering it

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Killingyouguy! posted:

*shrivels into dust*

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I learned about the first one because of a Game Informer article about it when it was first announced and the art/style alone was what led to it being the first game I ever preordered :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I found out about it through a let’s play on here, and liked the vibes I got from just the first update alone that I bought it on the spot.

…And I only found out about that because a poster had had their avatar changed to intentionally lovely art from an April Fools update. :v:

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I don't even remember what got the first game on my radar. It might have been getting results for it while looking for stuff about Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories on Gamespot, since Jupiter developed both.

Whatever it was, it quickly became one of my favorite games ever. Really should get around to finishing the post-game stuff in NEO one of these days.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So both games were poorly marketed and undersold likely as a result of the former yet the series survived in spite of that, I guess that means a third game isn’t completely unlikely then (though it’ll probably be a while before they go back to the series again if they wind up doing so at all)

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Killingyouguy! posted:

My god, same. I wasn't even 12 years old at the time, I don't even remember what convinced me to buy it aside from that review.

What I do remember is the game then proceeding to consume my entire post-6th grade summer, just me playing it every chance I could get.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Don’t remember how I heard of the first game but I wanted it badly enough that my dad contacted his brother in another city to buy it and send it to us. Worth, it’s one of the best games I ever played.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
twewy is one of nomura’s babies so he might have the clout to keep it going regardless of sales

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I found out about the first game through here maybe? And also my gross ex who was really into writing Kingdom Hearts slashfics :barf:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I bought the first game (and Etrian Odyssey 2!) at a Gamestop knowing nothing whatsoever about it.

Turned out to be possibly the single best purchase I will ever make. I love the original to death.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I just randomly saw the first game in, um, GAME (that’s the UK version of EB) and the shelf was half empty. I wondered what the deal was so I went outside to get a signal and Googled some reviews. They said “OMG BEST DS RPG EVER”. Well, then.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I heard about it through a Youtube review from like, 2011.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i remember seeing a single screenshot of a battle before release and thinking "holy poo poo that looks cool for a ds game". come release it was the top thread (by a lot) in the DS forum and people were going apeshit about pirating it. ended up grabbing it and holy crap was it a cool game

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Nintendo Power really hyped it up for months. It looked so stylish and unlike anything else at the time.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think I just saw a copy at the local EB games, went "DS Square RPG?" and leaped on it like a starving hound.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I think I just saw a copy at the local EB games, went "DS Square RPG?" and leaped on it like a starving hound.

This is definitely how I found it.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1647550/NEO_The_World_Ends_with_You/

Probably of no use to anyone actually reading this thread, but Square-Enix finally put the PC version of NEO on Steam. It's on sale for 25% off until the 25th.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Rea posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1647550/NEO_The_World_Ends_with_You/

Probably of no use to anyone actually reading this thread, but Square-Enix finally put the PC version of NEO on Steam. It's on sale for 25% off until the 25th.

crazy that it took this long for it to drop on steam. also crazy that it's a full priced title (with terrible regional pricing as per squenix's MO)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

marumaru posted:

crazy that it took this long for it to drop on steam.

SE's release timing for EGS vs Steam has been strange across the board.

FF7R hit EGS in December 2021 and Steam in June 2022, a seven month gap.

NEO hit EGS in September 2021 and Steam just now, a 13 month gap.

The KH games hit EGS in March 2021 and still has no word on a Steam release.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/TWEWY_PR/status/1582772849160224773?t=Cu36X4-ihqM8mOwDVM1neA&s=19

New official art for the steam release too!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

BisbyWorl posted:

SE's release timing for EGS vs Steam has been strange across the board.

FF7R hit EGS in December 2021 and Steam in June 2022, a seven month gap.

NEO hit EGS in September 2021 and Steam just now, a 13 month gap.

The KH games hit EGS in March 2021 and still has no word on a Steam release.

Should note that a Steam release has been planned from the start with the PC version; the Epic Store version still has the Steamworks Unity plugin imported, and the PC-specific text file has messages for Steam-related startup errors. I don't know why they waited so long.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

got the game on steam now that it's 50% off and am finally continuing to play it. this game rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

marumaru posted:

got the game on steam now that it's 50% off and am finally continuing to play it. this game rules

i have now beaten the game!
it was great. just the right amount of fan service too.
that was well worth it :')