Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Problem description: Month old Lenovo Flex 5 I bought for my son to take to school. Was working fine. Today he came to me and showed me that he can't login. The Windows 10 background picture shows, along with the time, but when you push the [UP ARROW] button, the overlay scrolls up like normal, but there is never a box to put in a password. No other options on the screen work. No combination of ctrl/alt/del or windows key does anything.

Attempted fixes: Bios reset. Windows Advanced Recovery trying to set it back to a previous state. I get an error saying the drive needs to be repaired, then when repairing the drive get a "Disk is Write Protected" error. Windows Advances Recovery to a command prompt shows the same write protection message when I navigate to a user directory and try to delete steamsetup.exe

Recent changes: None known
--

Operating system: 64 bit Windows 10

System specs: Flex 5-14ARE05 Laptop (ideapad) Ryzen 5 / 16gb / 256gb

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I have been in touch with Lenovo tech support. They are sending repair media, but I'm wondering wtf is going on with the write protections stuff and if just repair media will fix the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Update:

Recovery media Lenovo sent fails to restore with a general "Cannot restore" error. The hard drive is flagged write-only and needs to be replaced, imo.

Lenovo just told me to take it to Best Buy. I bought it from Amazon with an extended warranty directly through Lenovo. :wtf: