Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
We're about to get into camp and I want to know how you see your team BEFORE your favorite player blows his Achilles day one of camp. You can go into as much or as little detail as you like, but what I personally find the most interesting is:
  • Where do you see your team finishing?
  • Who should non-fans pay attention to?
  • What does the team have to fix or change to hit their ceiling?

Since I'm me I wrote a page and a half, but you shouldn't feel the need to keep to this format at all. I just wanna know where you're at.

:siren: Predictions and initial impressions: 2021 Bengals :siren:

What looks promising:

Burrow is good at spreading the ball around and he’s gonna have a lot of talented targets. The offense has the potential to be as good as any Cinci has fielded since 2015 or 2005. It’s going to be hard to reliably defend the Bengals 11 personnel. On defense a couple key players are coming back and seeing what players like Bates - who took a leap despite a depleted supporting cast- can do with a more complete defense will be exciting.

What looks ominous:

Coaching. The team went into last year thinking they had addressed key weaknesses, but they failed spectacularly. I haven't seen any reason to believe in the offensive or defensive playcallers. The line has a new coach in Pollack, but I expect it will still be a liability. The question is how much of a liability. They need to surpass a basic threshold of competency where it’s possible to scheme around the lack of talent on the line and not have a limited playbook. On defense they are working to move to an off-zone scheme and I don’t see a reliable pass rush. The defense is highly paid but doesn’t have many established difference makers -I would say the only two are Reader and Bates.

Keys to the season:

Guard play: They need to find a mediocre or better combination from Spain, Sua-Filo, and Carman. The offense has the potential to be special if they hit on Carman, but if they have another year with Michael Jordan level guard play it’ll be a long one. Tackle should be more or less fine and Hopkins is an OK center when healthy.

finding or scheming a pass rush: The defensive line rotation has a couple guys who MAY have promise but there’s no one who is obviously a plus pass rusher. The secondary has a couple good players but they aren’t capable enough to cover people down the field for several seconds. This defense has the potential to be AWFUL if no one gets to the QB

Edge defense: running between the tackles should be difficult, but the Bengals don’t really have a plus second level run defender to stop runs towards the sidelines.

Guys to watch:

Jackson Carman: slated to play right guard and probably the most important rookie on the roster, if they hit on Jackson the line should be improved significantly from last year.

Logan Wilson: Had a pretty solid rookie year at linebacker. There isn’t really anyone else on the roster who has plus potential at linebacker.

Mike Hilton: This free agent slot corner is a very effective blitzer, seeing if he’s given those opportunities will be a good way to evaluate the coaches. If they just utilize him in coverage it's a wasted signing.

Chase/Higgins: The Bengals need one of these guys to be a true #1 WR. By the end of the year one of these guys has to be earning double-teams considering the resources that went into them.

Realistic best case scenario:

If the line meshes I could see this team having a winning record. I would be shocked with 10 wins or more, but it’s not impossible. I don’t see them getting 3 wins out of the division and that limits the season.

Realistic worst case scenario:

I could see the team at 4-5 wins if the coaching continues to struggle and the team gives up quick pressure to 3-4 man rushes.

My prediction:

7 wins.

I see a team that can’t stop an above average offense. I think the games will be fun to watch - as long as they have any luck with injuries- but I see them losing fun. I hope 7 wins would get Taylor fired, but Mike and Joe love him so my guess is they keep Zac and fire the DC.

Accolades

#9-15 scoring offense

#24-32 scoring defense

Burrow is on short list for CBPOTY

Chase is in the mix for ROTY but loses out to a QB

Bates makes the ProBowl, the team sends fewer than 3 players, largely because they aren't winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I love this thread because a lot of work went into it and so far both posts in it are about the Cincinnati Bengals

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I think the bengals have a top ten skill position player group. I think zack Taylor is so far in over his head that he might as well have an anchor tied to him though.

Anyway I would love to post up about the TITANS but will have to do it tomorrow. Good thread idea though

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Well it's the Texans so the answer is dead last in everything and even one win would be a mercy

What looks promising:
We have our first round pick in the 2022 draft so this poo poo-rear end season won't be wasted. It's basically impossible for us to have as bad turnover luck as we had last season again.

What looks ominous:
It would be significantly faster to list the things that do not look ominous and so far they are that the stadium does not appear ready to collapse like a Miami condominium and that we get to play the Jaguars twice (I know they have Trevor Lawrence but they'll gently caress it up like they always do)

Keys to the season:
Literally the only thing that matters this year is finding out what we have in our young players from the last draft or two. Perhaps our Stanford QB turns out to secretly be as good as the last one an AFC South team drafted or perhaps he's loving dogshit or somewhere in between but we need to know one way or the other after game 1617 is done.

Realistic best case scenario
We do not become the first team to go 0-17, and we get the #1 draft pick

Realistic worst case scenario
0-17, but don't sleep on the possibility of winning just enough to not pick #1 either

My prediction
We will bumblefuck our way into a win against someone who got their QB injured or something, although if you look at the schedule just about the only chance of that is probably the Jets or Jaguars

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I honestly am not convinced the Texans are going to be THAT bad. I could see them going 4-13, not good by any means but Tyrod ain’t that bad

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Playing Tyrod would be a mistake after like, game 2 or something. The point is to find out what we have with Davis Mills and anyone else.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think Brevin Jordan is going to be good, even on the Texans.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The Tennessee Tits

What looks promising:

The Titans have arguably the best skill position player group in the league, a top ten quarterback, and Isaiah Wilson is no longer on the team.

What looks ominous:

Oh man. Our incredible offensive coordinator from the last two seasons has taken a head coaching job for Atlanta. Todd Downing has stepped in to replace him. He has had one season as an OC for the raiders and it didn’t go great. The personnel is such that it seems like it should be impossible to gently caress up this offense though.

The defense was arguably the worst in the league last year under Shane Bowen. He has been given a completely overhauled secondary, overhauled line, and Jim Schwartz to hover over his shoulder. It would be shocking if this unit could possibly be any worse than last season but we’ll see.

A lot of our best talent (Julio, lewan, saffold, tannehill) are either old or frequently banged up.

Keys to the season:

Better coaching on defense, or a scheme that fits the personnel we have brought in. Whatever.

Improved development from Firkser and Swaim.

Guys to watch:

Kevin Byard: ol Kev went from an allpro and arguably the most consistently excellent player on our defense to the last man standing from a nightmare unit last year. He was moved from a more freeranging, ball hawking role which he excelled in previously. He led the team in tackles last season. If a safety is leading your team in tackles your defense sucks poo poo. If he has another bad season this year his contract will probably become unjustifiable. Which sucks because he was a total stud before dumb old Shane Bowen hosed everything up.

The WR Room: ASSUMING CLEAN HEALTH FOR ALL PARTIES INVOLVED this WR room is a top 2 or 3 group leaguewide at a minimum. AJ Brown is the best receiver in the league with the ball in his hands and now he has Julio Jones across from him. Josh Reynolds is going to be running against single coverage 100% of the time he is in games. I told you that story so I could tell you the following one:

Derrick Henry: dude is going to Either face less stacked boxes than at any point over the past three seasons and rack up a thousand stiff arms on overmatched slot corners, OR teams will continue trying to sell out against him and tannehill and the boys will pick apart every defense in the league. I have to assume he will have less carries on his shoulders this season due to a somewhat more robust group of backup RBs and the WR room. I also am assuming he might just hit 2K again anyway because of the extra game added to the schedule.

Super bowl babey. If the defense is even mediocre rather than the unmitigated nightmare of last season this team can definitely hang with the ravens and chiefs.

Injuries to a top heavy offense and no improvement on defense could torpedo the season but even in that event we had a total garbage fest on D last year and still won eleven games. Worst case scenario is probably 8-9 barring a Tannehill or Henry injury

My prediction:

Need to see improvement from Bowen’s Boyz before I can go hogwild but assuming decent health on offense I think their floor is 11-6 and a division win. My prediction is 12-5 and at least one playoff win.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Panthers: Defense will have some stand-outs. Offense will have Sam Darnold test positive for COVID-19 and spread it to the rest of the offense and the Panthers have to forfeit a game. McCaffrey gets a shoulder stinger, has to miss 4 games.

Record is Who Gives A gently caress

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Probably with a pair of glasses cause my eyesight is finally going to hell.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

6-11

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

The dallas xosboys: its ournyear

e; cowboys

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wish andey daldeond was still on the boys

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Genuinely unsure of Miami. I really have confidence in both the defense and a majority of our offense but I’m concerned with the ending stream of locker room problems that seem to occur - every year under Flores someones demanded a trade during the off-season or had an issue.

Growing pains and all that but I’m honestly not willing to commit to any prediction until I see how this X Howard thing is handled. If they turn X into another 1 in 2021 draft and get a project player, it’ll match my expectations of the plan and I’ll have confidence.

I also really expect a lot of play from our rookies which is always a very simply way to set yourself up for disappointment but man. Miamis 1 and 2 round picks all have a chance to play significant snaps and the skillset to contribute immediately.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Los Angeles Rams

What looks promising:
They traded for John Matthew Stafford and dumped Jared Goff all in one swoop. The Rams offense was 14th in passing yards last year in a system where the QB could only make one read and throw. With Stafford on board with the addition of several speedy options at receiver and tight end the Rams should resemble more of the 2018 Super Bowl team then the nothing but stick routes offense of 2020.

What looks ominous:
Cam Akers is out for the season before training camp even begins. I don't think it will be a huge blow to the run game in general, the coaches will just need to put more thought into the RB rotation than the kind of all-in-one bellcow back options Akers provided.

The other thing is the defense was number 1 last season and with the losses of 4 starters and their defensive coordinator it will be interesting to see how much they regress.

Keys to the season:
How much better is Stafford than Goff and how much the defense regresses. If they can maintain a top 5 defense and Stafford can bring them up a few spots to a top 10 offense they will have as good as shot as anyone at winning it all. If the defensive regression is much more than expected then more pressure gets heaped on Stafford to keep the team winning.

The NFC West is also a ridiculous division. The Seahawks and 49ers are both super talented teams that have been able to stop the Rams at their best in the past. How well the Rams do under McVay is usually dictated by divisional wins.

Super Bowl win

A wildcard spot and another burnout in the playoffs

My prediction
I think 13-4 or 12-5 in the regular season is about right with a trip to the NFC Championship at least

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My not very in dept take,

Minnesota Vikings

What looks promising:

The offense was very good last season and potentially got a lot better with the drafting of Christian Darrisaw and Wyatt Davis. How much continuity there is on offense depends on the son of the last OC. Klint Kubiak takes over from his dad. He has earned the chance but it's always a question when the new guy is on his first go round calling the plays.

The QB and RB are in the good to great category and the wideout are solidly in the great category. Kirk responded to a "Need more points" year with 4,265 yards and 35 TD's. Justin Jefferson made Eagle fans hate their GM by having a stellar year. He broke a couple of team records held by Randy Moss.

The defense has been rebuilt. By the end of last season the great majority of the starters were wearing starter jackets on the sideline. If the team manages to stay healthy there's a lot of talent. Mike Zimmer did his best coaching job last season getting seven wins out of team whose defense was constantly losing it's best players. Almost any other coach and the team falls apart and never gets more than 3 wins.

What looks ominous:

Special teams is a question, also how fast does the defense come together?

Keys to the season:

How will Darrisaw and Davis play? They are rookies but they are also the best option at their positions.

How long will it take the defense to get into a grove? There's a lot of new pieces and most of the vets lost parts of last season. Having a preseason will help. Which of the other defensive ends will emerge as the starter opposite Hunter?

Playoffs and a NFC Championship appearance. Beyond that depends on how the defense is playing.

Playoffs and an early exit or the offense gets the injury bug and they fall just short of the playoffs.

My prediction

The team will spend the first quarter of the season adjusting on offense and defense and probably won't look all that sharp before getting very solid. There's a tough stretch where they play Baltimore, Green Bay, SF and Pittsburgh within a six game span. That will tell a lot about the team.

12-5 to 10-7 seems a realistic range.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Eifert Posting posted:

We're about to get into camp and I want to know how you see your team BEFORE your favorite player blows his Achilles day one of camp. You can go into as much or as little detail as you like, but what I personally find the most interesting is:
  • Where do you see your team finishing?
  • Who should non-fans pay attention to?
  • What does the team have to fix or change to hit their ceiling?

Since I'm me I wrote a page and a half, but you shouldn't feel the need to keep to this format at all. I just wanna know where you're at.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2021 Philadelphia Eagles!

What looks promising:

I have no idea. :shrug:

I haven't been this pessimistic about the Iggles in a long time. It's possible that the WR corps isn't bad? I don't know how to divorce their play from the 2020 Carson Wentz poo poo show. Reagor and Devonta Smith are theoretically the highlights here, while Fulgham was impressive going deep last year but it remains to be seen if he was fluke. I suspect he's going to be like Greg Ward in the sense that they're both players you want on your roster but not as the WR1 or 2. Depthwise there's no way to know what guys like last year's late-round picks Hightower, Watkins are really like. JJAW was complete rear end and hopefully gets cut soon.

The RB room has a lot of names with Sanders, Jordan Howard and Kerryon but there's a reason those last two are not still with their original teams. Boston Scott is great as a change-of-pace guy and spot starter. it sound like the team thinks so too because word is that they're not going to lean on Sanders quite as much this year, and also drafted Phillip Gainwell in the 5th as a passing down back. If he produces and Howard and Johnson aren't poo poo/injured this could be a good RB stable.

Dallas Goedert. I hate him because of his stupid name but he's looked more than adequate.

This is not the worst offensive line in the world provided everyone can stay healthy.

What looks ominous:

This is not an impressive QB list to say the least. I really wants Hurts to be good but he doesn't have massive arm strength and doesn't even seem all that accurate. He's got wheels but seems like one of those guys who's done as soon as there a little more tape on him. Possibly even already. Flacco is now in the decent basement level backup QB tier. Nick Mullens is fine as a 3rd-stringer who could play alright for a game or two but you really don't want to find out.

We still don't have any DBs outside of Slay and he didn't seem to improve the backfield much, if at all.

Ertz is probably leaving... but might be kinda done anyway?

Who the gently caress is Nick Sirianni? Okay, I guess hire someone else further along the Andy Reid coaching tree since that worked out for you in the past but you just fired the coach who won you your first SB so :shrug:. This reeks of management getting a young, first-time coach who can be kept in check,

Keys to the season:

Don't gently caress up too bad. The division is still wide open because everyone else is wallowing in the same trash can. Just see what the rookies/young guys can do. That may be tough still because we may still not have a competent QB on the roster.

Guys to watch:

Devonta Smith would blow away in a light breeze and I'm worried he will be broken in half. He has a physique that can only be achieved by strapping Gumby to a torture rack.
This'll presumably be Jalen Hurts team to lose at the start of the season.
It's time to figure out if Andre Dillard can be a full time starter at LT or if the Jordan Mailata project has borne any fruit.
I really hope Travis Fulgham turns out to be legit. It's nice when late-round dudes work out. :)

Something like 9-8 8-9 and winning the division.

4-13 and at the bottom of the barrel again. Switch best/worst case around if you'd rather play for draft picks.

My prediction:

6-11 and a 2nd place finish in the NFCE.

Accolades

No.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What looks promising:
Belichick has always been able to get the most out of talent and after last year's precipitous decline all over the roster, they've added a ton of guys up and down the roster that are + football players. Completely revamped one of the worst receiving corps from last year.

What looks ominous:
Cam, after 2 games last year looked nightmarishly bad. Mac Jones looks to be fairly un-inspiring as a rookie and most of the players coming back from a Covid year off are all in the decline phase age-wise. If they can't get average QB play, then nothing else matters for 2021, you aren't competing realistically.

Keys to the season:
Having Cam look *anything* like his old self or developing Mac Jones enough to get something approaching average QB play. I trust Belichick and McDaniels to get enough out of everyone else to compete, but QB is the issue for this team aside from health.

Defense is very good based off of an excellent secondary and enough injected talent to have a front that can disrupt offenses. Offense develops as the season progresses and can score enough points to keep them in games and they win a bunch of games like it's the early 2000's again.

Cam looks like Cam of last year and can't hit the broad side of a barn. Mac isn't throwing to Alabama open receivers and the offense is dead in the water. Dont'a Hightower doesn't look like his old self and Judon looks like just a guy outside of Baltimore, and everyone just ignores our secondary to pick on a soft underneath

My prediction
Betting against Belichick is a good way to lose money, and this would probably easily be a 12-13 win team with Brady, so let's just say 10-7, wildcard and Mac Jones heroically overcomes all the odds to a Superbowl matchup against Tommy and his Bucs.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I'm a giants fan and I feel like poo poo

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Darnold is going to throw away the season despite the defense being a top 10 unit. Top 5 draft pick, 5 wins tops (because Darnold is bad).

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm going to have to revise my prediction based on the dumb antivaxers on the team that won't get the shot.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

I see a team that can’t stop an above average offense. I think the games will be fun to watch - as long as they have any luck with injuries- but I see them losing fun. I hope 7 wins would get Taylor fired, but Mike and Joe love him so my guess is they keep Zac and fire the DC.

Judging by initial reports on training camp I'm either really wrong about this defense or really really wrong about this offense. Hooo boy. I know which seems more likely to me.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What looks promising:
It's a team that made it to the AFC Championship that retained nearly all of its starters. The team didn't have many weaknesses to begin with, but it dumped a ton of resources into young talent into one of them: the defensive line. The hope is that last year's offense can be coupled with a defense more similar to what we've seen in past McDermott years.

What looks ominous:
Most the key players (including likely Josh Allen!) are vaccinated, but hard not to see how a starting receiver dropping a diss track towards vaccinations can be interpreted as anything but a foreboding sign of what's to come. Also, Patrick Mahomes is still in the NFL.

Keys to the season:
Allen has to prove he wasn't a one-year wonder and maintain last year's play.

The Bills win a Super Bowl.

Injuries/Covid happens and the Bills miss the playoffs. Absent that, there is always the chance that defenses catch up to Allen or that Allen has a harder time playing in front of crowds, for whatever reason.

My prediction
Divisional round exit.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

+: The Ravens added enough talent at WR that Miles Boykin was WR3 last year and is now on the roster bubble.

Justin Madubuike looks primed for a breakout season.

Tavon Young is back to play slot corner.

IOL is in much better shape.

- OT depth remains an issue. If either Stanley or Villanueva go down it will be a problem. Stanley's still not back.

Defensive line is talented but getting old. Really can't afford to have anyone go down, snaps need to be carefully managed.

Lamar has COVID, hasn't practiced yet, could always get it again.

Bottom line: I think the Ravens should be Super Bowl contenders if the lines can stay relatively healthy.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Justin Jefferson was right there. I still have this reaction every time I see his name.
Apparently Reagor came to camp out of shape. Then his friend gets murdered. Now he is being ripped by the coach daily for messing up in drills.
It sucks.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

What looks promising:
It's a team that made it to the AFC Championship that retained nearly all of its starters. The team didn't have many weaknesses to begin with, but it dumped a ton of resources into young talent into one of them: the defensive line. The hope is that last year's offense can be coupled with a defense more similar to what we've seen in past McDermott years.

What looks ominous:
Most the key players (including likely Josh Allen!) are vaccinated, but hard not to see how a starting receiver dropping a diss track towards vaccinations can be interpreted as anything but a foreboding sign of what's to come. Also, Patrick Mahomes is still in the NFL.

Keys to the season:
Allen has to prove he wasn't a one-year wonder and maintain last year's play.

The Bills win a Super Bowl.

Injuries/Covid happens and the Bills miss the playoffs. Absent that, there is always the chance that defenses catch up to Allen or that Allen has a harder time playing in front of crowds, for whatever reason.

My prediction
Divisional round exit.
Last year still feels surreal, even before controlling for the fact that it happened during a pandemic.

As far as potential pitfalls, our corner depth remains shaky. This is a bit of an issue when you (likely) have to deal with the Chiefs to get to the Super Bowl, and the Titans just added Julio Jones, and I really don't love AJ Brown vs. Levi Wallace. Taron Johnson is a decent enough nickel, but that's about...it. It makes me queasy. Some one cast a powerful protective spell on Tre White! Linebacker was also a problem: Edmunds and especially Milano have injury histories. We can sort of cope with one going down, but if they miss time at the same time....I mean, gently caress.
And we're putting all our defensive line eggs in the "hopefully some young guy(s) step(s) up" basket. If our defensive line doesn't improve significantly, I'm pretty pessimistic about our chances against the Chiefs or Titans.
I can't see us doing worse than winning the AFC East again: things would have to go catastrophically bad(or the Dolphins would have to trade for Deshaun Watson, which...:barf:) for one of the others to overtake us. I just don't know how far we can go from there.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Seattle Seahawks....

Win Super Bowl & Wilson League MVP

Injuries to Wilson and inconsistent play from OL & Defense; finish 7-9.

My prediction Fool me once ... Fool me twice....
Make the playoffs as wild-card team, just losing out on division by 1 game. Win wild-card game on the road against #4 seed. Lose Divisional Round after being down by double digits at half and then only lose by <1 score. For reference, see past 6 year history.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The 2021 Dan Campbell Experience

What Looks Promising

After ejecting the Boston Boys halfway through last season, the Detroit Lions brought in Brad Holmes as the new General Manager and Dan Campbell as the new Head Coach. While the Lions waited far too long to rid themselves of the previous regime, both Holmes and Campbell appear so far to be excellent hires. In the draft, free agency, and through trades, Holmes has done his best to restock a team left bereft of talent by his predecessor—acquiring players like Jamaal Williams, Michael Brockers, and first-round pick Penei Sewell. Though the team has a long way to go, many of the key building blocks have already been laid down, particularly on the offensive and defensive lines.

The media reaction to Dan Campbell has been more mixed, thanks to Campbell's sheer enthusiasm and always exciting press conferences, as referenced above. But there is a lot to be excited about, especially in comparison to the previous regime. Patricia's tenure has become infamous for how he pushed away players, to the point that some actively celebrated the end of his first season when they wouldn't have to play for him anymore. Patricia tore people down and pushed them out when they wouldn't conform to his system—while Campbell (so far) is much more about connecting with players, building them up, and putting them in the best position to succeed. How well he manages to do that during the season remains to be seen, but it's undeniable that the Lions' culture has already become much, much more positive over Campbell's short tenure (And it should be noted that a big part of the culture change can be marked down to Campbell's coaching hires, nearly all of which (Including Campbell) are former NFL players themselves).

With the new culture in place, many players who were previously stifled by the former regime may be able to thrive. Jeff Okudah in particular had an awful first year last season, but reports from camp are promising that his confidence has returned and his abilities have been sharpened. As a result, the team might not be quite as talent-bereft as it may have appeared last year. Which would be nice! Because...

What Looks Ominous

Oh boy where to start with this one.

Even if I'm completely right and Patricia had negative coaching ability, he and Bob Quinn still left Holmes and Campbell an extremely bare cupboard. In particular, the entire wide receiver corps minus rookie Quintez Cephus left after 2020, as did numerous other starters on the offense and defense. The Lions were also left without their heart and soul after longtime starting quarterback Matt Stafford asked for (And received) a trade to a team not currently undergoing a full rebuild. His replacement, Jared Goff is... well, he might be okay, but there's a reason LA gave up two first round picks just to get rid of him. There's holes all over the roster, and Brad Holmes has his work cut out for him rebuilding it into something that might be able to compete over the next few years.

Worth noting: The Lions had a truly awful defense last year, but this season the real stinker may be the offense. Goff should be well-protected behind a solid o-line, but even if he becomes the next incarnation of Joe Montana in Detroit, he's got, like, two actual playmakers to throw the ball to. Considering that Goff is likely to be quite a bit worse than Montana, there's a real danger that the Lions may have one of the worst offenses in the league this season. And if the defense doesn't improve from last year.... then oh, this is going to be a rough season.

Also, while I love the new coaching staff, it's fair to question how long the honeymoon is going to last. Campbell is an easy guy to love and does have some prior head coaching experience thanks to his brief tenure as interim HC of the Dolphins, but positive attitude isn't everything. When Detroit starts to lose games (As they almost certainly will this season), will he be able to keep the locker room together? How effectively will he be able to manage gameday situations and adjustments? There are a lot of unknowns here, and only time will tell if Campbell and the rest of the coaching hires pan out.

Oh yeah, and on top of all of this, on paper Detroit has one of the toughest schedules in football this upcoming season. That'll be fun!

Keys to the Season

Everyone and their mother knows Detroit is gonna suck this year, so the real things to watch out for are the keys to the future: The performance of Jared Goff, and how well Campbell manages as head coach.

Jared Goff is the obvious one. As it stands, his contract is keeping him in Detroit through at least the next two seasons. But Detroit has two first-round picks in each of the next two upcoming drafts, so the Lions are well-placed to trade up for a QB in the draft if they need to. If Goff is bad-to-mediocre, then Detroit will almost certainly draft his replacement next year. But, if the change in scenery and scheme suit Goff and he does pretty well, then Detroit may decide to use their draft capital to build around him instead.

The real key though is Dan Campbell. If he's able to gameplan effectively, make good decisions in-game, and keep the team engaged and fighting through losses and deep into December when the team's already been eliminated from playoff contention, then that will bode extremely well for the future. If the opposite occurs—the team looks sloppy, players are giving up, and the scheme is unable to make up for the lack of talent—then we're in for a very long next couple of seasons.

Other than Goff and Campbell, there's a few other key areas to watch. Bob Quinn had many faults, but he put a lot of resources into the Lions' offensive line, and Brad Holmes augmented that investment with the selection of Penei Sewell at #8 overall. If this investment pans out, Detroit may very well have one of the best offensive lines in the league this upcoming season, which should help Goff out a lot as he tries to make throws to the B- and C-tier scrubs that make up our current WR corps.

The defense is also another area to watch—particularly the performance of the defensive line and the development of players like Jeff Okudah. The Lions' defense was the worst in the league last year, thanks in various parts to a lack of talent and Patricia's absolutely godawful defensive scheme (Which revolved around such galaxy-brain moves as only rushing three defenders against the quarterback, and playing the most man coverage in the league despite being the worst at man coverage in the league. truly, a defensive genius). With a fresh influx of talent from the draft and a new coaching philosophy and scheme from DC Aaron Glenn, the Lions' defense has the chance to truly remake itself into something... well, maybe not good, but competent at the very least. Okudah in particular has reportedly been making big strides in camp, and this season will likely determine whether he can be the replacement for Darius Slay that he was drafted to be.

Realistic Best-Case Scenario

The Lions are a team deep in the rebuilding process, and a playoff appearance is almost certainly out of the cards—especially considering the North has a very good chance of being the toughest division in the NFC this season. Realistically, the best the Lions can hope for is an improvement on last year's 5 win record, potentially pushing towards 7-10 or 8-9. A winning record is arguably the absolute best this team can hope for, but given the sheer number of holes on the team, particularly on the offense, that may not be feasible.

Realistic Worst-Case Scenario

Losing all 17 games is not out of the question. The Lions have a very tough schedule this year, and a few unlucky breaks could result in Detroit becoming the first team to go 0-16 and 0-17. Even if the Lions pick up a few wins, a lowly 2-15 or 3-14 record and a top-five draft pick are well within the realm of possibility.

My Prediction

I think Dan Campbell is the real deal, and there's good reason to hope the Lions' defense will improve significantly this year. However, the offense lost Marvin Jones, Kenny Golladay, and Matt Stafford—and Breshad Perriman, Tyrell Williams, and Jared Goff aren't going to have a chance in hell of replicating their production. As a result, I think 6-11 is about what the Lions can expect—an improvement on last year, but they still a long, long way to go before they're ready to compete.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 5, 2021

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the Patriots will have an excellent defense and we'll see if Cam or McCorkle have it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Eagles will win a couple of games they're not supposed to, but ultimately end at like 6-11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My Prediction

I think Dan Campbell is the real deal, and there's good reason to hope the Lions' defense will improve significantly this year. However, the offense lost Marvin Jones, Kenny Golladay, and Matt Stafford—and Breshad Perriman, Tyrell Williams, and Jared Goff aren't going to have a chance in hell of replicating their production. As a result, I think 6-11 is about what the Lions can expect—an improvement on last year, but they still a long, long way to go before they're ready to compete.

Agreed. I think the Coaching staff looks excellent. Patricia was a vortex of suck that ruined players. So I think the Lions will be roughly the same as last year even after losing most of their offensive skill players. Really the offense is going to suck, but if the O-Line is as good as they seem to be they could make it easy for Goff and the RB to not be too terrible.