Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

I'd like to hear talks or conversations by interesting people who aren't podcasters by profession or even hobby, who are giving long interviews or talks on whatever subject they can talk about. A random example would be james baldwin and william buckley's debate in the 60's - but really anything interesting that isn't just about a pop culture product or vague comedic/political rambling. That stuff is easy to find.

Something more substantial than just another scheduled episode of a podcast, but that also retains the energy of a conversation even if it isn't strictly one, as opposed to just listening to audiobook, where I'd rather just read them.

There's lots of stuff like this posted on youtube but it's usually in little snippets taken from a longer thing. I thought a topic for posting things like this as people find them would be good, preferrably with some kind of audio link but failing that a youtube one that could be converted or something. Even just particular episodes of podcast series if it's a particularly good talk.

I don't have any suggestions right now (I'm making this because I'm looking for them), but I'll either post or edit this if I find some stuff that is good, because I do sometimes and then lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Alan Watts, Timothy Leary, Allen Ginsberg and Gary Snyder ( 1967 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX88FpE413M
A bunch of white dudes wrestle with how they see the counterculture and where they want it to go. It's a one off. These characters were all prolific in their own adjacent lanes but this conversation is facinating as an early proto-podcast, as such because it shows how wrong they all were. They all had these ideas in their heads of exactly what was happening in America in the 60s and precisely what needs to happen next ---- only to find out they are all on such different pages. I think it's a facinating one-off audio talk because it illuminates the shortcomings of the American counter-culture; namely, among other things, the fact that we had these white dudes trying to dictate it's energy. I like Gary Snyder (Turtle Island + he wrote a good book on writing + other stuff, he's so cool) but the others - ahhahaaaaa. I do have a fondness for Alan Watts but cannot stand Timothy Leary or Allen Ginsberg. Anyway, an interesting cultural artifact. And as much as i give them grief, i do like to read and listen and learn about the 60s in america, such an interesting time and i do like the whole counterculture thing, for all its foibles and errors and tragedies and boomerisms. Anyway, I like this recording because it was 1967 in america and it was like the high water part where many things felt possible but there was a whole lot of 'now what.....' and then the cia filled the streets with heroin and cocaine and the whole thing got real dark real quick lol.