Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I love what the Three Kings Arc is trying to do with Yusuke thematically. He's a punk kid who barely attended school trying to figure out what he's going to do with his life. It's extremely grounded, relatable, and real. They just roll it in with the mystical nature of the show so that it's not a completely different genre.

The execution, however, could have done with some work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

So anyone watched the new live action adaption? Episode 1 was really good imo.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The what now

e Forgot all about that

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

No, it was not.

Repeating what they did for FMA and turning it into another generic zombie tale.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I only popped in to watch a tiny snippet but I liked the vibe of it and the actress playing Botan so I'm sure I'll get around to giving it a proper watch eventually.

As a general rule of thumb it's gotta be a truly terrible adaptation of something for me not to be fine with it existing since it ultimately means more money going towards the original creator.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm going to try and watch it this weekend. I'm a bit on the fence since it looks like they're condensing about 50 episodes into 5 hour long episodes somehow.

I'm assuming a massive rush to the introduction of Hiei and Kurama, probably a total skip of the Saint Beasts and Rando, and then leaping into the stuff with the Toguro Brothers and Yukina.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

It’s not bad, but it’s not good or clever like the One Piece one either
Just a standard mid live action adaptation, any good vibes like the old 90’s deliqoent stuff is owed to just strong the source material was, and hard to mess that part up.

Botan actress is indeed a cutie. And Koenma was a good choice just having him be in his teen form cause the baby form wouldn’t have worked in live action. Yusuke works fine.

Only watched episode 1 so far.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh huh. Rewatched and finally finished this series for the first time during the pandemic and realized a big reason I dropped off was that the fights are mostly snoozy after the Dark Tournament. Yusuke being a jesus was also kinda dull to me.

Story is also very, very simple all things considered, but in a nice way. Maybe it'll work well for a live action adaption?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I skipped around the live action adaptation and I will say this: the fight choreography is pretty dope.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How far does the live action version go out of curiosity (I haven't watched it but I imagine it's only a handful of episodes as per usual)?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

How far does the live action version go out of curiosity (I haven't watched it but I imagine it's only a handful of episodes as per usual)?

5 episodes total, the final epiosodes combine the Tarukane raid and the end of the dark tournament, it's extremely condensed

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

The end of the dark tournament?

Wild

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've been going through the anime with my partner. It's her first time watching and she's been enjoying it, but she was pretty disappointed with how Sensui ended up. It's such a shame that it went in the direction it did, because everything up until that stupid seven personalities thing was so good.

One thing that hits way harder in 2023 is how the show treats immigration. When I first watched the show as a teen, I wasn't really thinking about how hosed up it was that Spirit World tried to take over Demon World, and put up a big net to stop anyone from going into the human world, while also just letting humans do whatever the hell they wanted with any demons they could capture. Nowadays the way people talk about demons invading their town and destroying everything sounds uncomfortably close to what people say in real life.

We're saving watching the live action series until after we finish the anime, which we've only got 20 eps of anyway. The previews looked alright, but just looking at the main four makes me sad. I haven't watched the live action One Piece yet, but the visuals of that have basically destroyed any other anime adaptation. You can't give us pompless Kuwabara after that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

5 episodes total, the final epiosodes combine the Tarukane raid and the end of the dark tournament, it's extremely condensed

Is every episode feature length or something? Because that’s a lot of ground to cover in a very short amount of time (and I’m assuming it doesn’t condense things well either)

Edit: Just watched the first episode, it’s an alright start at least (albeit hyper abridged) though I assume it’s all downhill from here. A pity they couldn’t have used Baby Enma though but I suppose this way is less work for a live action show (also the actors are decent and the effects are passable)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 16, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yeah, bad sign if they're ending a five episode run with the Dark Tournament's conclusion. If it was ten episodes, yeah sure. Can't imagine it's gonna have any poignancy tho if it's run that quick.

Finished ep 1 and idk. It's fine. Cast's relationships are what make the original anime work so well, so it's a shame their interplay is so overshadowed by exposition and fights.

I love that they're staying true to the show's outfits. Kuwabara's coat is so large. The pants are so wide. That's great.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The live action adaption is in a baffingly big hurry to just get things over with.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

The live action adaption is in a baffingly big hurry to just get things over with.

Yeah, Yusuke’s death, rebirth, and recruitment is handled in one episode with his first fight as a Spirit Detective occurring in the following one, we jump immediately to Genkai, then jump again to a combination of the Dark Tournament and Tarukane Raid. Even by Netflix adaption standards this feels rushed

How’s the English dub out of curiosity? I only watched the subbed version

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 16, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Yusuke’s death, rebirth, and recruitment is handled in one episode with his first fight as a Spirit Detective occurring in the following one, we jump immediately to Genkai, then jump again to a combination of the Dark Tournament and Tarukane Raid. Even by Netflix adaption standards this feels rushed

How’s the English dub out of curiosity? I only watched the subbed version

weak, its the same dub style as all the other korean live action shows on netflix. if you ever watched Squid Game in english like a savage.
Everything sounds monotone and flat and the sound mixing just sounds like an overlay.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

who could possibly be jacked enough to play younger toguro

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm pretty drat sure there's just a big muscle suit and FX at work for younger Toguro.

I think how the story works is at least decent if you have no knowledge of the original anime or manga, but it's truly the wildest amount of compression I've seen in an adaptation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I'm pretty drat sure there's just a big muscle suit and FX at work for younger Toguro.

I think how the story works is at least decent if you have no knowledge of the original anime or manga, but it's truly the wildest amount of compression I've seen in an adaptation.

Merging the Dark Tournament fights into the Tarukane Raid sort of makes sense I guess but yeah, even by Netflix standards it seemed like they were in a pretty big hurry to be done with this as soon as possible

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, how much direct involvement did Togashi actually have with the various adaptations of his works anyway?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

On another note, how much direct involvement did Togashi actually have with the various adaptations of his works anyway?

he probably just did the mocap for the scene where the demon-possessed kid lays on his back and uses his legs to chase Yusuke

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

he probably just did the mocap for the scene where the demon-possessed kid lays on his back and uses his legs to chase Yusuke

I was also curious how involved he was in the YYH and HxH animes as well

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

My wife was pissed they skipped some sort of tournament and there's no eggs and then the bosses showed up early? I don't even know wtf she's talking about then a dude turned into a dog and she lost her mind and said nm everything's cool as long as he stays a dog.

please god, make it make sense.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I think I'm tapping out after episode 2. They're following the basic plot but throwing in so much stuff from later in the series, so the show both feels incredibly rushed and incredibly scattered.

Like we're at about 2 hours of screen time and Yusuke's back, he's dealt with Goki, Kurama is his buddy now, and also the Toguros showed up and we've spent a significant amount of time with Yukina already.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
They made a YYH show with zero tournaments. What the gently caress were they thinking

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
fights look good so far, the cg integration with the human stuntwork is impressive, but is this really only five eps? Kurama's back story had like half an episode and they didn't even get into it really, the mother didn't try to save him when he was a kid or smth
shooting on an actual location gives this a leg up over other adaptations

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Slow day at work so I finished watching the live action show. I should have just rewatched the anime.

The fights are very good and Elder Toguro's shape shifting was suitably gross and off-putting. But everything else felt like a Cliff's Notes version of the show. Characters recite dialogue verbatim from the original show but it's stripped of any and all meaning. I'm not even going to spoil this part but beware as it's a spoiler if you care.

Hiei vs Bui and Kurama vs Kurasu are both well-done fights with some pretty fun bits. But there's no emotion behind them at all. Kurama just turns into his Yokai form to win, Hiei just does the dragon flame to win. No training, no emotion, just "okay time for me to use my ULTIMATE move".

They also seem to be setting up another season of this with the ending, but I dunno if that's gonna happen.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i would say no thanks to a live action HxH if its done the same way as this live action.

imagine spending one episode to go thru the hunter exam, , one episode for the pvp tower, one episode for the entire York New City, one episode for game island and two episodes for Chimera Ant arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've only watched the first episode of the live action show so far and it's kinda...

I'd take something like this over 90% of anime live action adaptations

But I can't quite sign off on it completely. It feels like if those One Piece "Episode of _____" movies, but better (dunno if I'd go quite as far as good)