Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Still thinking about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VYqcCLIx0s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I feel like...god and aki have to be manifestations of a student's power in some sense rather than an abstract personification of something thematic but whether the answer is somewhere in the show or just some off screen student I have no idea. I guess im satisfied with the ambiguity.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
In absence of a better theory I just assume Aki was once a random student who was one of those "peaked in high school" types who couldn't let go. Grew up physically but still enjoys the attention of younger boys because they remind her of better days and they're not challenging.

What she ultimately represents in the story could be any number of things (again, subject to personal interpretation), but could be one of the hazards of predatory adulthood trying to manipulate (via aggressive motorboating) young people into their own way of thinking.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 6, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If God's god, then Ms. Aki's the (a?) devil.

Certainly, her whole thing seems to be about searching for a way to bring death to this world, like with the plastic guns that delete holes out of people.

That said, I think the only thing we definitely know about her is that she's not, and was never, a student who went adrift.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

She was a "student", though - one of the big(?) reveals was a brief shot of her school uniform black skirt peeking out from below her white blouse and lab coat. I think in the next episode one of the other students mentions in passing something like "wow, it's crazy aki-sensei turned out to be a student too, huh?" and then it's never touched on again lmao

Her real-world counterpart does show up in the very first episode briefly, when nagara goes to talk to his homeroom teacher in the staff room, and then again in the mid-season graduation sequence. I kind of took her to be some kind of psychic construct from the students themselves, but I don't really know or care

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fairlight posted:

She was a "student", though - one of the big(?) reveals was a brief shot of her school uniform black skirt peeking out from below her white blouse and lab coat. I think in the next episode one of the other students mentions in passing something like "wow, it's crazy aki-sensei turned out to be a student too, huh?" and then it's never touched on again lmao

Her real-world counterpart does show up in the very first episode briefly, when nagara goes to talk to his homeroom teacher in the staff room, and then again in the mid-season graduation sequence. I kind of took her to be some kind of psychic construct from the students themselves, but I don't really know or care

Huh, I completely missed that. Thanks. :)

Also now I don't know what to think.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

fairlight posted:

right, she seems some kind of collective projection- the corny physical component from the boys, a sneaky kappa face and motivations from the girls ("never trust a woman with large breast etc"), and the projection of the headmaster- the top authority figure at school transposed as "god"...it makes sense, but then it's stated outright that aki is specifically a student. I dunno.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wait, it's 12 episodes not 11. Would have totally bought that as an ending, honestly.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
last 3 episodes

[

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

Glad to hear it apparently nailed the landing. Now to binge it all in one go.

Finally did this. Still processing the whole thing though. I do think the show works best as a metaphor for growing up into adulthood and deciding both what "worlds" we create in front of us, and how to live in the "worlds" that we cannot change.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I just finished it.
I'm... not good at interpreting allegories, but it was a refreshing experience nonetheless.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Char posted:

I just finished it.
I'm... not good at interpreting allegories, but it was a refreshing experience nonetheless.

I think calling the show allegorical is not quite on the mark. To me it was much more metaphorical, like in the Tarkovskian sense: http://www.nostalghia.com/TheTopics/Symbols.html

fairlight fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 10, 2022

Char
Jan 5, 2013

fairlight posted:

I think calling the show allegorical is not quite on the mark. To me it was much more metaphorical, like in the Tarkovskian sense: http://www.nostalghia.com/TheTopics/Symbols.html

Oh, yes, poor choice of words on my behalf. What I mean is that I'm not good at piecing together this kind of stuff, I focus on meaningless things.
IE:

Radjhani. Why did you stay in the alternative world you dumbass?

Or:

What was Hoshi's deal? Trying to force innaturally order and harmony and suddenly stopping ... because--

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Char posted:

Oh, yes, poor choice of words on my behalf. What I mean is that I'm not good at piecing together this kind of stuff, I focus on meaningless things.
IE:

Radjhani. Why did you stay in the alternative world you dumbass?

He wanted to be a tree

Char
Jan 5, 2013

net work error posted:

He wanted to be a tree

In my language that line was translated as

"Radjhani went native and now lives with the animals"

Works either way.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Radjhani is living his best life as a whole-rear end forest
and i will not be told otherwise

fairlight
May 18, 2007

I took Rajadhani to be a Buddha-like figure who found meaning in purely existing and experiencing the world, he had no further desires to fulfill.

As for Hoshi, I'll need to rewatch the show and pay closer attention to his arc. But in Rajadhani's anecdote in the penultimate episode, it seemed like he was portrayed as a kind of negative or nihilistic counterpart to Rajadhani, who found a freedom from desire in "death", but without any true sense of fulfillment (at least, if he was really talking about Hoshi, but I guess it doesn't really matter).

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Rajdhani's power was to produce things of value for himself and others, but he was ultimately a bit of a loner and had his own, quieter path to pursue apart from the strivings of others. Once he had explored to his heart's content and learned enough to be satisfied, becoming a whole rear end forest was his perfect world.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

fairlight posted:

I took Rajadhani to be a Buddha-like figure who found meaning in purely existing and experiencing the world, he had no further desires to fulfill.

As for Hoshi, I'll need to rewatch the show and pay closer attention to his arc. But in Rajadhani's anecdote in the penultimate episode, it seemed like he was portrayed as a kind of negative or nihilistic counterpart to Rajadhani, who found a freedom from desire in "death", but without any true sense of fulfillment (at least, if he was really talking about Hoshi, but I guess it doesn't really matter).

I gave a quick re-watch to ep6 and
Hoshi seems to imply he's lost his power. I felt it meant he somehow stopped believing in the concept of the Voice of God or something - his ark is him moving on with his personal growth. I don't think he was the inventor of death, Radjhani's speech felt more personal - he knows what's about to happen to him.

Char fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 11, 2022

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
incredible show. feel like i was insanely lucky to find out ab it a few days ago, since its, at the moment, the 83rd best rated anime of 2021 in MAL. "underrated" is putting it extremely mildly.

the cream will rise to the top in this case (or closer to it), ppl will slowly but surely come in waves to this as word passes around. theres no way this can become this hidden forever.

-great plot and it stuck the landing.

-great music, been listening to this on repeat lately https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSDdRxAEdcs

-and great visuals, too

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Am I seeing things, or wasn't Hoshi the 'inventor' in episode 11, the one who removed his own ability to desire things?

was very curious ab that. it looks kinda like him, he has a pose that feels very like him, and the one half of the face they decided to show is suspiciously the one that would make it harder to recognize him. it also seems like it fits his character arc. at the same time, in the last ep, right b4 the cool montage, the guy that goes to the duo says that "kossetsu (mind reading girl) went to join hoshi". so either theres some time dilation nonsense going or his lobotomy still has him functional enough to act as a leader

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
time dilation nonsense was pretty directly confirmed to be happening, though not necessarily with that

Char
Jan 5, 2013

fairlight posted:

Re on this - I rewatched Stalker yesterday and your comment was totally spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPDroRQpfo0

Some nice bits on the ideas and creation behind the making of the show.