Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Iirc the amount of abilities will be changed in the upcoming version of Icon. The author mentioned he wanted to give the baddies less but more impactful abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
That would be better. I look forward to trying whatever update comes out.

For now, I'm tempted to try the tactical combat again without using any of the factions, only the basic enemy jobs e.g. the Knuckle. That would at least cut down two layers of ability/trait inheritance.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
The user Ruby in the pilot.net discord has made some really nice tilesets for use in abstract battlemaps. Using these helped break me from the feeling of needing to create/find high-quality images with good map layouts. Some examples:

An example of a "tile pallette" I laid out in Foundry using the Moulinette Tiles addon. Higher numbers = higher elevation. The rounded black square represents pits, the x-ed out tile is for impassible areas, the spikes are for dangerous areas, the stairs are stairs, and the four-rectangle overlays are used for the capture points in a King of the Hill map.

A gladiatorial arena kind of map. The central raised area contains the capture points, while four archer towers placed around the arena make it easy for ranged attackers to fire down at the centre with relative impunity. A few bits of scattered cover (overturned crates) are stuck in the sand at random spots.

The deck of a galleon, mid-destruction by thrashing kraken tentacles. The spiky/wavy areas are both difficult and dangerous terrain, representing areas threatened by the kraken. A huge mast blocks off the centre of the deck with some raised stacks of provisions and heavy rope coils surrounding it. Various bits of shattered deck make up the 1-height obstacles littered around the area.

A throne room at the end of a rebellion. Players begin at the bottom, descending onto the white marble floor and presumably avoiding the difficult terrain ("the Path of Penance") that wraps around the Pit of Penance as it heads towards the massive raised throne dais at the north of the room. Six pink limestone pillars block off the sides of the path with more difficult terrain. A handful of overturned shelves act as improvised 1-height barricades (clearly the defenders didn't have time to set more up).

I have no idea how these actually play aside from the throne room map, but making them was way more fun than the usual stress I put myself through when it comes to good battlemaps.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Autodrop Monteur posted:

Iirc the amount of abilities will be changed in the upcoming version of Icon. The author mentioned he wanted to give the baddies less but more impactful abilities.

Wait, hasn't he been releasing a ton of 1.5 adversaries into play testing the last week or three?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ICON 1.5 is out with a bunch of big changes and also a bunch of art.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

bewilderment posted:

ICON 1.5 is out with a bunch of big changes and also a bunch of art.

I've yet to run it but I like this a lot more than prior versions, which I thought were good. Probably still needs some polish, but almost a really exciting system. I struggle to get over my love of number-go-up though.

I'll probably try to throw a group together and see how it plays.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Tolth posted:

I've yet to run it but I like this a lot more than prior versions, which I thought were good. Probably still needs some polish, but almost a really exciting system. I struggle to get over my love of number-go-up though.

I'll probably try to throw a group together and see how it plays.

This is a mechanically fantastic game in many ways but it suffers from being tuned around its own core community and their skill level to a potentially crippling degree. The combat side is sublime, but also painfully complex to get into and fairly overwhelming for both players and DMs.

There's something absolutely banging here but at the moment I'd only recommend it to people with heavy 4e experience. Which feels like a waste, because this could be super accessible, but we'll see how it evolves.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Tolth posted:

This is a mechanically fantastic game in many ways but it suffers from being tuned around its own core community and their skill level to a potentially crippling degree. The combat side is sublime, but also painfully complex to get into and fairly overwhelming for both players and DMs.

There's something absolutely banging here but at the moment I'd only recommend it to people with heavy 4e experience. Which feels like a waste, because this could be super accessible, but we'll see how it evolves.
Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing more feedback from outside the lancer community for sure. I'm inclined to think the general public, or at least the segment of the general public inclined to pick up a ttrpg, might handle the complexity a bit better than you'd think, but tere is a *lot* going on.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
For what its worth it's a consistent point of feedback and I'm looking at addressing it before release. This game does have a significant overhead in learning its structure + terms which can be offputting. Once you learn it, it's very consistent and I find very fast and easy to run.

The release version will have a poo poo ton of visual presentation and flow that will really really help I think, as well as tools for running in person like a status tracker cheat sheet. The next version will also have an entire 'first session' section for introing people to the system as well as 'apprentice' jobs which are much simpler versions of the current jobs with the aim of having people learn the basic mechanics of each of the four classes.

Lancer remains very popular and I think if people can learn Lancer they can learn and enjoy this game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, I've been following the game but haven't delved into playtesting just because I trust the final release and the layout that goes with it to make the game a lot easier to grasp. I 'get it' now, but I'm sure it'll be much easier to explain to others in the final release.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tolth posted:

suffers? this is pretty much the best endorsement i could possibly hear

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm also in the "wait until it's at the finish line before really cramming it into my brain" camp, but I think there's something of a discussion to be had as to whether an RPG really needs to appeal to a demographic outside of "people who are super into this other sort of game, and will put in the effort to grasp it."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s entirely OK to make something that is hard to learn but rewards expertise with deep and satisfying choices, you just have to make sure you market it appropriately or your product will drown in 1-star reviews complaining that it’s nothing like TAZ.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

It’s entirely OK to make something that is hard to learn but rewards expertise with deep and satisfying choices, you just have to make sure you market it appropriately or your product will drown in 1-star reviews complaining that it’s nothing like TAZ.

At the risk of being accused of being overly cynical, in a market where D&D dominates the fantasy TRPG demographic and people will unironically argue that learning any other game is simply an unreasonable ask of them, I'm not sure there is a way to market your non-D&D fantasy TRPG where this doesn't happen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kai Tave posted:

At the risk of being accused of being overly cynical, in a market where D&D dominates the fantasy TRPG demographic and people will unironically argue that learning any other game is simply an unreasonable ask of them, I'm not sure there is a way to market your non-D&D fantasy TRPG where this doesn't happen.

Well, you might just sputter for breath instead of drowning, I guess, if you’re lucky?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think at this point "it's a fantasy RPG by the Kill 6 Billion Demons and Lancer guy" is probably some of the most effective marketing you can ask for in the non-D&Dosphere outside of grabbing a license like Avatar the Last Airbender or something, and I'm inclined to think that if people are copacetic with a game like Lancer that ICON shouldn't really be a much bigger ask.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
My group has only been using the not fighting rules so I might be talking out of my rear end but I don't think depth in combat is gonna be a breaking point for people invested in the system and what the game offers

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Kai Tave posted:

I have absolutely seen people struggle repeatedly to understand non-DnD rules after the DM has patiently explained them multiple times and still try to operate on DnD logic anyways. I think a certain growing subset of the ttrpg population has been hard-wired into thinking that 5E rules are as universal as gravity or something.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

suffers? this is pretty much the best endorsement i could possibly hear
Oh if you've played too much of these types of systems you should absolutely play this thing. A good 4e GM should be giggling at the NPC section, I have no idea how they managed to create this level of mechanical breadth.

Operant posted:

The release version will have a poo poo ton of visual presentation and flow that will really really help I think, as well as tools for running in person like a status tracker cheat sheet. The next version will also have an entire 'first session' section for introing people to the system as well as 'apprentice' jobs which are much simpler versions of the current jobs with the aim of having people learn the basic mechanics of each of the four classes.
I think this is the right approach and that you could hugely help things with typography upgrades and very deliberate first-session support tools.

Kai Tave posted:

I think at this point "it's a fantasy RPG by the Kill 6 Billion Demons and Lancer guy" is probably some of the most effective marketing you can ask for in the non-D&Dosphere outside of grabbing a license like Avatar the Last Airbender or something, and I'm inclined to think that if people are copacetic with a game like Lancer that ICON shouldn't really be a much bigger ask.
You sure sound like you have a lot of experience in marketing. You must really know your stuff.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tolth posted:

You sure sound like you have a lot of experience in marketing. You must really know your stuff.

It's really cool that you're being an rear end in a top hat about this for no reason.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

as I understand it Kai Tave has written and published a number of first-party LANCER supplements and a spin-off game, and is probably better-qualified than anyone else in this thread to speak to Massif Press's ability to move books, unless Abaddon still posts here

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

as I understand it Kai Tave has written and published a number of first-party LANCER supplements and a spin-off game, and is probably better-qualified than anyone else in this thread to speak to Massif Press's ability to move books, unless Abaddon still posts here

Abaddon is Operant who just posted upthread earlier.

I don't have like spreadsheets of sales data on hand but based on conversations with Tom, Lancer has had and continues to have strong sales, including associated supplements and side-projects, and that's years on from its Kickstarter which was also extremely successful. While nothing is ever guaranteed, in terms of starting out with several legs up it's hard to beat already having several extremely popular and successful projects people will likely have heard of under your belt (Lancer, K6BD) along with the associated outreach of both, to say nothing of the advantages that a strong visual art game brings to any aspiring tabletop project. "Already be famous and have lots of sick art to show off" are, it turns out, strong starting points for a lot of things and not just RPGs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Abaddon is Operant who just posted upthread earlier.

oh, woops lol

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I did a playtest of ICON GM'ing for a group of players who only played 5E and a Paranoia & Call of Cthulhu oneshot here and there.
It's true there was a bit of a struggle with the rules overhead at first, but the consistency and clarity of the rules meant my players could just help look up rules as well when something during play wasn't clear. (which was a delight, after having dm'd a lot of 5E before!)
The biggest struggle was keeping track of all the various status effects and blights. And I'm glad blights are no longer part of the current iteration.

Glad to hear a status tracker sheet is coming in the release version.

As for the game itself, my players really enjoyed finding strategies and combinations of moves after they got hold of the system. The Geomancer loved creating pillars for the Colossus to use as a dropkick vantage point.

Game owns and we all can't wait for the release version!

Kulkasha posted:

I have absolutely seen people struggle repeatedly to understand non-DnD rules after the DM has patiently explained them multiple times and still try to operate on DnD logic anyways. I think a certain growing subset of the ttrpg population has been hard-wired into thinking that 5E rules are as universal as gravity or something.
Yeah this sucks. One of my friends just doesn't understand why you would want to use different RPG systems. When trying other systems, he plays it as 5E and becomes upset when things don't go his way. I just don't understand how people can be like that.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I am presently in two campaigns that converted over to ICON from 5E. There was definitely some difficulty in the conversion--not because of system flaws, just that if you sat me down with each system and asked me to write a character within an archetype (mage/martial/etc.) for a given setting, I would end up with two very different characters, just based on how classes are built.

About the one complaint I've had (in the previous release, where Blights are still a big thing, I haven't played the most recent one, so this may have changed) was playing an Enochian and fighting a boss that had the Skirmisher trait that prevents damage on misses and AoE damage, and realizing that none of abilities did anything anymore--it was immune to all of the added tricks the class is built around, so I was functionally just moving and attacking, and it was a disappointing end to an adventure.

It's an annoying ability to run into on normal enemies, but there's usually other targets to handle. But on a boss, that kind of flat immunity is really rough.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i haven't had a chance to play ICON yet but the degree of emphasis on resistance / immunity vs. "this ability bypasses X immunity" dynamics are one of my very few complaints with LANCER as a system

(the other one is movement in 3D space, which i'd really like to just see eliminated completely)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
3D movement in ICON is, last time I checked, largely gone. Flying is just a movement buff that lets you cross over terrain and pits without any problems, and I think (but can't confirm) that even the abstracted elevation system that existed might be getting tinkered with or rolled back in some fashion.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

(Almost?) every PC attack doing Fray damage does a lot to counter one of my biggest issues in Lancer, which was the Invisible status(Evasion, in Icon) being the king of blueballs on enemies if you didn't bring along reliable or anti-invis stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

The Lord of Hats posted:

About the one complaint I've had (in the previous release, where Blights are still a big thing, I haven't played the most recent one, so this may have changed) was playing an Enochian and fighting a boss that had the Skirmisher trait that prevents damage on misses and AoE damage, and realizing that none of abilities did anything anymore--it was immune to all of the added tricks the class is built around, so I was functionally just moving and attacking, and it was a disappointing end to an adventure.

'Triangle' breaking traits are actually off Legends now for this exact reason. All those fights have been revamped too.