Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hello!

In the vein of some of the long running "ask a professor" threads, I thought I'd make one about higher education in general! While I no longer work directly in higher ed, I spent over fifteen years working in administration, eventually holding a number of senior roles.

I am happy to answer questions about higher ed culture in general, getting a non-teaching job in higher ed, working with students, financial aid, student affairs, admissions, advising, programming, how schools are funded, and lots of fun stuff like that! For those looking for a career, working in higher ed can be really rewarding, and there are far more opportunities when you're not looking for a tenure track job -- and a lot of those other jobs are better paid, with similar benefits.

But, if you're interested, ask away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Are there any formal rules or guidelines on "clepping" a class? (aka, testing out of it and getting credits).

I've heard a dozen different stories about the requirements and even whether or not it's technically legal.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Are there any formal rules or guidelines on "clepping" a class? (aka, testing out of it and getting credits).

I've heard a dozen different stories about the requirements and even whether or not it's technically legal.

Great question!

It's going to depend on the school, although every school should publish a public guide of what outside credit they take somewhere as part of their accreditation standards. In general public schools are going to be more flexible in allowing outside credit because a lot of that is set at the state level, not school by school. There are no universal rules or standards.

One thing to note though is that even if a school does take CLEP credit, there are some graduate-level programs, like medical schools, which do not accept CLEP credits. And the other consideration is if you're CLEPing a pre-requisite course, will you have enough foundation to be successful in upper level coursework?

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 4, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Upgrade posted:

There are no universal rules or standards.

Should be part of the thread title.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

What's the highest bribe you've been offered by an Arab to admit their offspring? For me it was £10k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Which mafias are using university endowments as a slush fund these days?