Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i found this golf cart but it's way too slow. how do i make it faster?

this is what the insides look like. my budget is $0. thanks in advance for your suggestions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
New batteries, clean the connections.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Use it to drag the corvair out

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Find a really tall hill. Push.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Start selling sexual favors.
Get really good at it.
Make a lot of money and buy a Tesla.
Swap the Tesla batteries into the cart.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Personally I think a you should turn it into a Black Hyabusa swapped golf cart and then smoke tyres

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
some great suggestions itt but unfortunately like i said there is a budget here of $0. my original hope was that i could just switch the batteries from parallel to series but that's how they are already. it's absolutely tragic that this golf cart won't drift at all. like even hitting a 90 degree corner full-throttle on gravel at the bottom of a steep hill, nothing. this must be what it's like when you're old and your dick quits working. even tied to the corvair it won't spin the tires

the spyder posted:

Find a really tall hill. Push.

i tried this one, but the golf cart wouldn't make it up the hill as-is. i was tacking back and forth and it was super lame. new batteries aren't in the budget but i will be cleaning the connections today. yesterday i tightened up the steering, brakes are already great. except the parking brake is like built into the brake pedal and i set it by accident sometimes which sucks.

https://www.golflink.com/how_5023_remove-governor-electric-golf-cart.html

my initial googling hinted that there might be a governor to remove, but it sounds like electric carts don't have those. this link had some helpful suggestions, but unfortunately most of them look like they'll cost money. #4 was bigger tires = more top speed, i'm going to see if the trailer tires i saw in the field yesterday will fit. #2 is a cleverly placed resistor? sounds promising, but i'm not sure exactly where it goes.

i want to smoke tires so badly. i will humbly accept any speed parts or advice and offer to livestream my death by golf cart in exchange if we can get this thing going fast enough to kill me

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Hey, I just finished phase 1 of my golf cart project. So far It stops/goes and I can use it to tow my little landscape trailer, I spent way more than $0 however.

What does the water level in the batteries look like? Make sure you use distilled water if you need to add any, its cheap enough. Take apart all the battery connections, wire brush until shiny/clean, reassemble with electrical grease. Make sure the tires have good pressure and aim downhill. That's about all you can do for free if you already have the wire brush and the electrical grease. Bigger tires wont do anything if you already don't have much power, it will just suck more battery current trying to spin the motor against even greater resistance.

If you do a resistor across the field terminals on the motor you will need something pretty big, with my old resistor speed control and my clamp on meter in inrush mode I saw 220ish amps from the battery and 60ish amps continuous at full throttle/full speed on a flat gravel driveway. Without getting a calculator out I can tell you for sure that you will need more than a 1/4 watt resistor.

From cheapest to most expensive you next options are probably upgrade your cable size, change your controller, change all your batteries to 8V or find a place to stuff two more 6Vs, and if you still have money left over you can change the motor.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

SpeedFreek posted:

Hey, I just finished phase 1 of my golf cart project. So far It stops/goes and I can use it to tow my little landscape trailer, I spent way more than $0 however.

What does the water level in the batteries look like? Make sure you use distilled water if you need to add any, its cheap enough. Take apart all the battery connections, wire brush until shiny/clean, reassemble with electrical grease. Make sure the tires have good pressure and aim downhill. That's about all you can do for free if you already have the wire brush and the electrical grease. Bigger tires wont do anything if you already don't have much power, it will just suck more battery current trying to spin the motor against even greater resistance.

If you do a resistor across the field terminals on the motor you will need something pretty big, with my old resistor speed control and my clamp on meter in inrush mode I saw 220ish amps from the battery and 60ish amps continuous at full throttle/full speed on a flat gravel driveway. Without getting a calculator out I can tell you for sure that you will need more than a 1/4 watt resistor.

From cheapest to most expensive you next options are probably upgrade your cable size, change your controller, change all your batteries to 8V or find a place to stuff two more 6Vs, and if you still have money left over you can change the motor.

thanks for the advice man, i really appreciate it. water level in the batteries was super low so i topped em off, $1.06 on a gallon of distilled water. scrubbed the terminals and connectors clean with an old grill brush but they wanted $10 for a tube of dielectric grease at the napa in town so i didn't use any. it doesn't feel any faster really, but seemed to maybe handle the hill a little better. probably just wishful thinking

i'm really interested in the resistor thing, but also woefully ignorant. it sounds like One Weird Trick to go fast if you don't care about your motor, which is perfect for a free rusty golf cart that is too slow to enjoy as-is. can you tell me anything more about it? maybe even what to buy and where to solder it?

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i was kinda bored with the cart on account of being able to easily outrun it on foot, but an inspiring series of renders got me fired back up again

vanisher posted:

That undercarriage light is tricky with all that grass around

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Do you have a cheap Digital Multi Meter? If so, would you check and report back what each battery reads? Obviously battery condition is a huge part of getting this thing to do those sweet sweet smokey burn outs. You might want to locate a cheap battery pH test kit and see if any of them need the acid levels corrected. It's a $ fix, which might be in budget.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Easy--Corvair engine swap you won't need a water pump!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
This poo poo is dope as gently caress for battery cleanering shits:
https://www.kleenflo.com/products/445.html

Also this is good as gently caress for protecting batter terminals from corrosion:

https://no.co/a202

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I had tubes of no-ox conductive grease within arms reach so I used that on all the cable connections after brushing them clean, so far things seem fine but I have only had the thing working for about two weeks.

Unless you're going to get new batteries I'm going to have to second the idea of the Corvair engine swap.