Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The Winter event is great. You can get a new spray, 3 drops, a character skin, new portal skin, and a ginger bread assault rifle skin. It is all relatively easy to do as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Huh, tried this and it really is pretty fun.

Whoever mentioned the sprinting showing up on the radar, thank you. I walked about with a shotgun and peppered a whole bunch of enemies who were in a hurry not aware they were letting me know exactly where they were.

Also the SWAT mode is fun, mainly because the battle rifle equivalent is just like the Halo BR and you can bean people without needing to scope.

Any UK/EU peeps on it? Would be fun to try and get some games on it with a team.

PSM352LP is my ID if so.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Anyone else come back to this because Halo doesn't have enough content and BTB isn't working?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I bounced off halo hard. I still play this every now and again in spurts but until we get new maps/modes its on the back burner.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I still like it. It gives me old time Unreal Tournament vibes.

Not paying for better weapons, just cosmetics. Most of the paid ones are pretty bad, but I bought the "Gold Edition" just to support the devs.

The battle pass would pay for itself if I just played a bit more. Especially with the 7 day login reward.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Spacebump posted:

Anyone else come back to this because Halo doesn't have enough content and BTB isn't working?

I've enjoyed Halo BTB a lot, but man the they've got some serious issues to work out, I get errors trying to join games more than half the time. For getting into matches, this game is quick and pretty flawless.

I just wish they had some more UI customization options, coming off Halo, everything's in the wrong corners of the screen and I often find myself frantically looking around to find the radar or even just my ammo count

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Thank goodness, couldn’t come soon enough. I’ve had three months away from this game because I completed the battle pass and got bored without having arbitrary bars move up after each match. Hopefully Season 1 has some good content that draws me back into this game.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Hopefully some of those new maps they trialed are ready to go.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcxWeiOYHss

New map looks cool.
Map maker!
New modes is great but I really think they need to slowly push back into putting them into playlists. Simply to few players for how it is now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

When that jetpack bit came up I initially thought the dude getting shot at was wallrunning and I was about to lose my poo poo. Titanfall 2 movement mechanics plus portals would be mindblowing.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Have they released or said anything about a native PS5 version or anything like this? The game is decent but the blurry graphics need sprucing up for me.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Played a little post patch. I love this game.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The redone forgone destruction looks pretty great now. Seems going from 8 employees to 50-odd has helped.

And they have decided to restrict quickplay back to playlists again, although still far more than most games allow.

a good move

quote:

Let's talk about Quick Play!

In the day and a half since BS1 has been live, we've seen your comments about the changes we made to the Quick Play system. Before, we let players pick and choose between 15 specific game modes to queue. This gave players complete control over what game modes you wanted to play, but there were a few downsides.

First, since players could queue only one game mode at a time, the 15 options translated to 15 matchmaking queues, or what we like to call, "Buckets." Quick play was limited to only 14 permanent (24/7) modes and one Limited Time mode that rotated on a daily basis. We couldn't add more than these 15 options out of fear of dividing the queuing player base even more, despite the repeated requests to add back games like One in the Chamber or Laser Tag.

In addition, we wanted to add new modes ourselves to Quick Play, namely One Flag CTF and Evolution. 15 buckets of players were already too many in all honesty, and adding any more would quickly get out of hand. Knowing that players were concerned about getting more games with more bots, the last thing we wanted to do was make that situation even worse. We also didn’t want the Quick Play menu to overwhelm new players with a ton of choices.

So on the one hand, players were wanting more game modes (including us), and on the other, everyone wanted less frequent bot-filled games. This is why we introduced our new system: 9 separate playlists that contain 20 game modes. Here's what Quick Play currently looks like:

Quick Play menu as of Jan. 28th

Going from 15 buckets to 9, and 15 game modes to 20, we now hopefully solve the issue of adding more modes, AND we reduce the frequency of bot-filled games. It's also worth mentioning that we changed the voting system from 2 maps plus a random to just 3 maps and no random option. Of course, when making changes like these, new concerns can pop up.

7 out of the 9 playlists have multiple game modes bundled together, with Team Deathmatch and Takedown being the only solo buckets. Three playlists have two game modes, and four playlists have three. So, what if your favorite mode is Splitball, but you get Zombie VIP and Laser Tag instead? Maybe all you want is Shotty Snipers, but you despise Team SWAT?

This is where your feedback can help. For now, we have Team Deathmatch and Takedown as the only two standalone playlists. One possible change we could make, given that we want no more than 9 buckets, would be to adjust which modes get to be standalone. Another approach would be to revisit how each playlist is bundled. Maybe Team SWAT and Shotty Snipers shouldn't go together and instead should be separated into different playlists? Once again, we don't want to take away modes altogether to make room for others. It's tricky.

We've already been discussing internally finding an elegant solution on the matchmaker to give you your preferred game more often without dividing the queues again. It's too early to say publicly what a solution like this might look like, but we are brainstorming and discussing.

Custom games could be a workaround for the types of players who don't care about playing against bots but only want to play one mode. I'm not offering this as a solution, but it's something to consider!

Ultimately, "Quick Play" was designed to do just that, be a way for players to play a game quickly. We've already noticed a decrease in average wait times for quick play, and while this doesn't completely eliminate queue times, having fewer Quick Play buckets is one step towards minimizing them. Implementing our planned back-end overhaul in the coming months will help both this issue and bot prevalence even further.

To sum it all up, we know that taking away some player choices will never be a popular thing. Had we known that this situation of dividing the player queues too much would be an issue, our approach might have been different. This is part of starting as an indie studio and growing into a AAA one. We're always learning from our prior decisions and applying that knowledge to the game in the future. You can always count on us to be a community-first driven studio, no matter how large we grow, or when we make decisions that don’t make total sense at first.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mega Comrade posted:

The redone forgone destruction looks pretty great now. Seems going from 8 employees to 50-odd has helped.

And they have decided to restrict quickplay back to playlists again, although still far more than most games allow.

a good move

Nothing in this post is incorrect