Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Fighters Unleashed

We're going to be playing one of many, many attempts to revive the beat 'em up genre. Fighters Unleashed started its journey in 2014, it had a REALLY nice looking Kickstarter, and the devs clearly understood the genre, its appeal, and had a great love for the game they were making. But, it went wrong. They made 90 dollars when they needed 10k, and what eventually did get released is abysmal. If you know me, you know I love beat 'em ups, and you know I hate talking trash about art. I find positivity and upsides and beauty in practically everything.

But Fighters Unleashed is not good, and I would argue it's the worst commerically-released beat 'em up ever made, and I would dare anyone else to provide a worse one. Fighters Unleashed is just broken, and it's broken in ways that it's hard to work with. Sometimes your character takes damage even when enemies aren't swinging at him, or when the enemies are all dead, or even when there are no enemies on screen at all. It happens rapidly, and you can't stop it, and then you die. The game also fails to count your lives down when you die sometimes, the vehicle sections require inhuman reflexes, the special moves can't actually kill enemies, the bosses are braindead, and the game CONSISTENTLY CRASHES after you defeat Mark in the Army Base.

I am -as far as I can tell- the first and only person who played through the game. I finished it once as Alexia, and once as Charlie. Alexia has a better moveset, but her story mode is missing most of the plot and ends on a cliffhanger. Charlie's moveset is worse, but his story mode details things more explicitly... and not only does it also end on a cliffhanger, but it tells you to replay on Hard Mode for the true ending. To make matters worse, I used the Stage Select feature to beat the final boss on Hard Mode, and got the same message.

There are two possibilities: Either the game's True Ending doesn't exist, or in order to obtain it, you have to play the thing beginning to end from a New Game on Hard Mode. So that's what you're about to see: 10+ hours of practice and my years of beat 'em up knowledge put to test by a game that tries -and fails oh so spectacularly- to pay loving homage to my favorite genre of videogames.

Why are you doing this?
I love art, I love videogames, and I love beat 'em ups. This is all three, and like it or not, it's a part of human history and human culture. I'm going to preserve it, and I'm going to do it fair and square.

Videos:
Fighters Unleashed

Fighters Unleashed has no competition.

Streets Ablaze - Full Walkthrough

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Really 90 bucks? That sounds like an utter marketing failure more than anything.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Really 90 bucks? That sounds like an utter marketing failure more than anything.

I definitely get the impression they didn't have a PR team

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
Feels like the developers had some ambition, but when they ended with only 90 bucks they decided to phone it in like a shovelware. Even flash games from years ago might give it a run for money.

Either that, or "everyone was let go and we had to like make one unqualified person did everything and cobble a game out of it". At least, it looked that way to me with how the character designs seem too elaborate for the story scenes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This felt less like a Let's Play and more like an hour long video essay about games as art, and I mean that in the best way. I don't even care much about beat-em-ups, but you kept the video engaging (no mean feat, considering what you had to work with) and I'm intrigued to see where you're taking this idea next.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 15, 2021

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I definitely get the impression they didn't have a PR team

Shame, I know people who would gladly pay 3-4 digits to a beat-em-up Kickstarter.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

CremePudding posted:

Feels like the developers had some ambition, but when they ended with only 90 bucks they decided to phone it in like a shovelware. Even flash games from years ago might give it a run for money.

Either that, or "everyone was let go and we had to like make one unqualified person did everything and cobble a game out of it". At least, it looked that way to me with how the character designs seem too elaborate for the story scenes.
They were determined to release it no matter what, and I recall them saying they had issues with the engine they were creating.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Shame, I know people who would gladly pay 3-4 digits to a beat-em-up Kickstarter.
You just reminded me about Bad Dudes 2.

girl dick energy posted:

This felt less like a Let's Play and more like an hour long video essay about games as art, and I mean that in the best way. I don't even care much about beat-em-ups, but you kept the video engaging (no mean feat, considering what you had to work with) and I'm intrigued to see where you're taking this idea next.
That's actually really sweet, thank you

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Fighters Unleashed has no competition.

It's time to sorta look at Alexia's story. I mean, the cutscenes are here, anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I wish I had something productive to say, but I don't so I'll just repeat what I said before, that you kept me watching through a video that I should, on paper, have basically no interest in.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
There's a weird charm to how airy and floaty Streets Ablaze is. The whole zooming out to the floor for special kills is a really weird decision though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Streets Ablaze - Full Walkthrough

No commentary this time around, but Streets Ablaze deserves preserved as much as Fighters Unleashed. Took way longer to finally upload than I wanted.