Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
As usual with anything tech related there's an utterly bewildering variety of collars available, I just want a collar that will be reliable an durable and work. Half these things seem to have feature bloat nonsense like telling you if you dog scratches itself???

Anyone got any advice on a basic and functional collar?

The beast in question requiring surveillance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

how far do you want to be able to track the dog? what's your price range? what kind of terrain are you tracking in? is the dog a hunting dog?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
He needs to be trackable off a phone, yes. Working off a phone signal is fine, since ironically when we're completely out in the middle of nowhere he doesn't run away, its if he meets other dogs he will follow them - hes brought up with sheep so he doesn't chase things.

Price wise I'm happy to pay for a decent product, but I'd rather avoid heavy subscriptions that some seem to need, and I don't want to be paying for stuff I don't want. I just want water proof and works, battery life doesn't have to be brilliant because it's only for when we take him for walks near the village, at home he's not in danger of running so it doesn't need constant monitoring or warning when they pass a line or anything like that.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I want something like this too, but small enough for a cat to comfortably carry around. The only trackers that I've found that are powerful enough look like they need to be charged daily and they're really heavy for a cat.