Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Content Warning: Dark themes. Will update this as I find out more, I'm going into this mostly blind.

quote:

"Welcome to your career as a Hostage Negotiator! This expansion is the culmination of my full vision for the Hostage Negotiator product line, and I am so thrilled that it is finally complete. If you are going on this journey it probably means you already love the game, or at least think you will! I just want to thank YOU, as it would not be possible without all of the support we have gotten from our fans and loyal customers over the years. Now, take your training academy diploma... and good luck in Year 1 and beyond!"

A.J. PORFIRIO
Designer of Hostage Negotiator and President of Van Ryder Games

I hope that this Let's Play will drive more people into buying this awesome solitaire card game rather than replace the need! If you want to support Van Ryder Games, there is also an iOS/Android version, but a physical copy of this game would be a lot of fun. It also makes a great gift; the Career expansion, unlike other persistent Legacy campaign games, can be reset so someone else can give it a go with your copy after you have.

Hostage Negotiator is a board/card game for one person, although multiple people can play it together by sharing the decision making process, as we are going to. In it, you play as a member of the Municipal Police Department's Crisis Negotiation Unit. Build a rapport with the abductor, manage their emotional state, consider the pros and cons of giving into their demands, rescue the hostages, and ultimately, capture or eliminate them. How does all that play out? It's a bit like a puzzle deck building game plus Craps. Each Abductor has their own mechanics which get revealed the first time you play them. Any attempt at talking with the Abductor carries risk. How you manage that risk and how and when you try to make your moves determines your success and failure as much as sheer luck does.

This is going to be kind of a hybrid LP. We're going to go over the mechanics and play at least two practice rounds before diving into the game's Legacy style Career expansion. I'll be playing the game in Tabletop Simulator. Once we get started in career mode, we'll decide how much control you want to have over the gameplay. Having you guys make every decision every round might make the game too slow, but if you want to do that we can try it. If there's any strategies you want to see me employ, I will.

In the Career mode you will get to make some fun choices that'll have permanent consequences on the campaign. The thread will always get to make these choices.

For this first game, we're going to be playing with the base game only. We'll introduce stuff from Crime Wave, and the add-on packs soon. Let's introduce our first Abductor!

quote:

Arkayne is angry. As the leader of a terrorist organization, he was none too pleased when over half his team was taken into custody by special forces agents in a surprise raid while he was away.
Now Arkayne has hatched a plan, and he is after weapons, money, and the release of his captured men.
He has taken hostage 7 government officials that had nothing to do with the raid. But Arkayne doesn't care. They are disposable pawns.

Arkayne is the Abductor that the rules suggest playing against first. He's a very straightforward antagonist with zero twists. Pure vanilla, as far as hostage takers go. Arkayne has 7 Hostages, starts at 4 Heat, and has 1 Major Demand and 1 Escape Demand.

So, let me teach you the game!

Each turn of the game plays out in three phases:
  1. Conversation Phase - During this phase you play Conversation Cards. You can either play them face down, for one Conversation Point, or play them face up, rolling the Threat Dice to determine the result. This phase ends when you decide to end it, or when you're out of Conversation Cards.
  2. Spend Phase - The Conversation Points you've acquired during the Conversation can now be used to buy new Conversation Cards that you'll be able to play next round. You can't rebuy cards you played this round, they go back in the store at the end of this phase. You also reset your Conversation Points to zero at the end of this phase.
  3. Terror Phase - Reveal a Terror Card. This is usually a Very Bad Thing happening, but rarely it can be good.

This is the Tableau, tracking the game's current state. Features include:
  • The outer ring tracks how many Conversation Points you have.
  • The inner ring tracks the current Heat level. The Heat level starts at S, then goes 1-6, then ends at K. As the Heat level goes up, you roll less Threat Dice, making success on your Conversation Cards less likely. If you're already at K, and the Heat Level goes up again, the Abductor kills a hostage. This is true in reverse as well: you get more dice the lower Heat goes, and if it's already at S and it goes down again, a hostage gets saved. If there are no hostages left and you bring Heat down below S one more time, you capture the Abductor.
  • Demand cards are stored at the top of the Tableau. They're randomized and placed face down, requiring you to use a Conversation Card to get the Abductor to reveal them before you can do anything with them. Terror cards often make Heat go up more depending on the number of unrevealed Demands.
  • The Terror cards, and their discard pile, are at the lower right. There are 11 in the deck, with the final one being a Pivotal Event. This gives you a time limit of, at most, 11 rounds to win, but often you'll discard more than one Terror card, giving you much less. During the final round of the game, after the Pivotal Event has been revealed, you can purchase cards during the Conversation Phase and play them immediately.
  • The Hostage Pool is in the upper right. You have to save at least half of the hostages to win.

Let's have a look at a typical Conversation Card:

When you play one face up, you roll the number of Threat Dice you have, which is determined by your Heat level but can also be modified by cards.

These are Threat Dice. Three sides are blank, one side has two cards on it, and two sides have a badge on them, which represents a Success. That means getting a Success is only a 33% chance on each die. This makes the likelihood of getting at least 1 success on a two-die roll about 55%. Almost a coin flip. If you get a two-card symbol on a die roll, you can immediately play two Conversation Cards face down to turn it into a Success. This is a harsh price but it might save you from a dire fate.

After you roll the dice, you consult the card to see what happens. Under the two successes result, the Heat level goes down by 1, and you get a conversation point.

This card has some other symbols on it. On two successes, you save two hostages. On one success, you save a hostage but the Heat level goes up by one. On a failure, one hostage is killed, and the conversation immediately ends. You can't play any more conversation cards, play immediately proceeds to the Spend Phase. Any conversation cards you have left in your hand can carry forward to the next Conversation Phase.

This card costs 5 conversation points to buy, the cost is in the lower right. Two successes give you two extra Threat Dice for the rest of the conversation, one success gets you one, and a failure removes the card from the game entirely. Since there's only one copy of this card in the store, this option is lost to you forever if you mess it up.

The game ends a few different ways.

You win if all of the following things are true:
  1. There are no hostages left in the Hostage Pool.
  2. At least half of the hostages were saved.
  3. The Abductor has been captured or eliminated.

You lose the game if any of the following things happen:
  • More than half of the hostages have been killed.
  • The Abductor escapes.
  • You're unable to draw a Terror card during the Terror Phase.

That's basically it! There's a couple more details like the Second In Command, which replaces the Abductor if you kill him while there's still hostages in the Hostage Pool, and of course I haven't shown you all the different Conversation Cards there are, but you know what you need to know to start watching and participating.

The Videos -

El Generico fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This looks really cool and I'm here for it.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvaBMxWSCuc

This round was played only with the base game. Next time we won't be playing with any of the base game components, but only those that come with the standalone expansion, Crime Wave. After that, we can do a bit of mixing and matching.

Results: 8 Hostages Saved, 1 Hostage Killed, Elimination Victory, thanks to fantastic luck against this, the easiest possible opponent. I hope some of you come up with some strategy tips for me, or Career is gonna whoop our asses. (Honestly not going to be upset at all if it does though)

Royalty free music is courtesy Purple Planet and Incompetech, full attribution is in the Youtube video description. Let me know how the audio levels are.

I re-recorded once because my dice luck was total garbage, but I promise we will never do that again. It's Ironman mode from here on out, I just wanted this first vid to be more instructional than an absolute failthrough could've been. My second recording was scrapped due to a major rules fuckup. This is the third attempt and actually I did some stuff that made the video better so it was worth it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Nice to see more digital boardgames being LP'd! Bookmarked :)

EDIT: also can I say it is a bold move to send in a bemused Agent Smith as an hostage negotiator?

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 17, 2021

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I’ve been interested in this one since I saw the Shut Up and Sit Down review, but it’s been out of stock everywhere! I noticed one rules mistake and one strategy mistake near the end. Rules-wise, the terror card you drew near the end said to discard half the remaining red cards rounded down - so since you only had one red card left, I think it was actually harmless. And strategy-wise, that final turn would have been the absolutely perfect time to give the dude a helicopter. You had conversation points to burn and you were going to lose at the end of that turn anyway, so it would have been two extra dice on the sniper roll completely risk-free.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:lmao: at the last turn, fluff-wise: "sniper, take the shot! ... no, no, i didn't mean that, what i meant was" BLAM

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, nice. I'm a big fan of this game (even though I suck at it), so it'll be nice to see some actual play of it. I have a bunch of the content but haven't grabbed Career Mode so it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
Bought the game thanks to this thread.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This looks interesting. Looking forward to the next run!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This reminds me of a more compact version of the "Legendary" deck building games.

Here's your objective and a countdown timer. Here's your deck of lousy base cards. Here's the card store. Buy better cards to do more things, but watch out for the Event deck that wants to gently caress you over but good. I can understand the terror deck really screwing you over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Does a surprisingly good job keeping the appropriate tension, especially how fast things could flip from "going great" to "oh poo poo!" on you with just a little bad luck, especially from the aptly named terror deck (love how it went from possibly resolving things peacefully to needing to kill the guy with just one unfortunate draw for the heat). Downright nail-biting right to the end really. Also, great thread title, it must be said.