Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

My high school in Oklahoma didn't even have Grapes of Wrath in the library. I'd put money on this being the reason.

When this book came up in the book thread, someone mentioned that in their nice solid blue district liberal private school, their teacher said they could skip the intercalary chapters lmao

It's absolutely not taught because of how blunt its politics are. A few California districts had it banned for a long rear end time specifically because the farm and orchard owners local there said it was very unfair to them

Anyway Lathe of Heaven should deffo be high school standard fare, it's way more perfect than almost everything else already standard and its criminal how absent she is from even American lit courses considering shes one of the all time greats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Steinbeck has a p good book about early unions and union busting. That one SHOULD be on a curriculum but never will be

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

skewetoo posted:

Steinbeck has a p good book about early unions and union busting. That one SHOULD be on a curriculum but never will be

pretty much the entire steinbeck catalog could.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I always preferred Brave New World to 1984. Didn't realize Huxley wrote a semi-sequel with his preferred utopian society

https://twitter.com/L3ftLibertarian/status/1433474608896913410

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

when I was in 3rd or 4th grade I wanted to do my book report on the sick Redwall book I was reading and the school didn't let me because it was violent. that sucked rear end, so I complained to my parents and they wrote a letter to the school and then I was allowed to do the report. get hosed school puritans

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

That's because everybody screws up explaining what is it to make themselves look smart.
It's super simple to understand.

A person writes a book.
Then 100 critics write articles on that book
The author writes their on critique on the book.
The author's critique is not more important than any other critique just because the author wrote it.

It's hard to understand this because people can create a lot meaning with words,
so author's criticism look smarter than they actually are.

So here is the same example using music.
A stupid loving kid is banging on the piano.
The stupid loving kid hits the C-E-G notes making a perfect C chord. and the kids likes it.
The hits the notes again and again.

Somebody walks by and asks the kid, why are you hitting those notes.
the kid goes "I don't know, I like how it sounds."

But then two people walk up.
One explains how wavelengths mixes in the ear hairs to create an enjoyable sound.
The other talks about the history of the piano and how the building of this instrument made it easier for the kid to play those three notes.

While most authors are loving morons who are average at making stores intuitively.

Can you maybe put this in the context of Harry Potter so libs might understand it?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

JK Rowling has the shittiest, terfiest opinions about her own book. They are the least important of any opinions.

Relevant because the first Harry Potter was summer reading for high school.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

worst book i had to read in high school was by faaaaar portrait of a young a artist. gently caress that piece of garbage book and gently caress james joyce, pretentious piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

Can you maybe put this in the context of Harry Potter so libs might understand it?

critics are voldemort