Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Most of us are old. Pretty loving old, and a lot of us had pretty early childhood exposure to Anime, even if we didn't know it at the time. I want to hear about your nostalgic and happy memories being a kid or a teenager watching anime. What year was it? What did you watch?

My earliest memories are of Ronin Warriors and Ultraman on cable access TV back in the early 90's. I don't think I'd seen Power Rangers until like 96 or so. I remember Toonami debuting and eventually Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z, but I wasn't super interested in it until 1998 when my third grade teacher had a pen pal from Japan who did her student teaching gig at our school.

She showed us a bunch of Miyazaki movies, taught us calligraphy, how to make sushi, and a ton of Japanese which still sticks to me today. My neighbor from another grade and my cousin who was several years older than I was lived vicariously through me because they were already super weebs who loved Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon, so after she moved back to Japan she would send me VHS tapes, letters, and snacks for several years which is how I ended up watching Inu-Yasha, Dragon Ball GT, and Yu Yu Hakusho as well as finding out about One Piece and Naruto by 99. She would send me entire issues of Shonen Jump and I would just look at the pictures.

Around 2001-2002 my family finally had usable internet so I was reading early scanslations of Naruto and One Piece in middle school, and I think even Shonen Jump USA was out at the time but I was pretty ahead of the game. There were some ultra weeb girls in middle school who started wearing Naruto headbands to school and Naruto running through the halls that made so embarrassed that I legitimately stopped watching anime entirely until I was in my later years of High School (2007-2008)

I started getting nostalgic earlier this year because Hulu had Sailor Moon on it, but hearing the new dub voices just wasn't the same. My go-to nostalgic shows are FLCL and 08th MS Team. G-Gundam is on my bucket list.

Here's your 90's kid nostalgia boost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmBZFNdXMME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My first memory of anime was probably the adaptation of The Secret Garden which got a pretty banging dub in LatAm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG8dkDub3_s

There is a lot of stuff to my goofy journey through anime, but that effortpost shall be for later when I'm not falling asleep.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
vampire hunter d on the sci fi network at some point during the early 90's. it sure made an impression.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I watched Saturday morning cartoons like Pokémon and Digimon. I remember watching a bit of Ultimate Muscle and being disappointed that I never saw any episodes of Fighting Foodons.

I think I also watched some Tokyo Mew Mew but I can’t really remember.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I had no concept of it as anime at the time, but I loved this show when I was little.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BvJf0gDBf8

It got a US home video release as a movie length story, but it was actually a 24 episode anime they spliced together. I have always wanted to see the full thing just out of curiosity, but it looks like the original Japanese version never got any kind of home video release, and might be lost to time apart from a french VHS dub.

There was definitely an ad for Candy Candy in the middle of it too, but I never saw any of it beyond that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw3TISY-lZ8

There was also this version of Aladdin my sister liked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW5LGbzl6jo
Lots of Speed Racer and Ghibli movies, and my Dad had a Beautiful Dreamer shirt that I noticed he always got compliments on from random college students.

Nothing notable after that until Sailor Moon and Pokemon started airing on TV, followed by DC++ hubs and torrents becoming a thing, and it's all downhill from there.

I was really lucky that my local home video store ended up turning into one of the largest video archives in the world. There was always weird foreign movies on the shelves right next to everything else.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I watched Astro Boy at age 5 or 6 before I knew what anime was. I remember it being a tense, action-filled show with episodes that ended right as I had to leave for school so I often got upset about missing the last couple of minutes of each one.

I watched Sailor Moon at age 10-11 on a morning cartoon show. The presenter introduced it as a show that used "a new Japanese art style called manga" and I could hear her pronounce the italics. I remember seeing the lanky, threatening demonic figures from the OP and thinking that this was unlike anything I'd seen before.

I caught a few out-of-context snippets of Evangelion on the "international" channel at age 12-13 and was mildly traumatized.

I watched Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 on the same channel a few years later. I'm not sure the plot entirely made sense but it had cool ladies fighting robots and that was enough for 15-year-old me.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Thuryl just reminded me of "Giant Robot Week" on Toonami which had two very edited episodes of Evangelion. I remember anime magazines in the same era advertising "Everything you DIDN'T see in Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z" which were just pretty minor things other than Sailor Moon drinking alcohol at 14 or Krillin's death being a lot more brutal in the Freeza arc in Japan.

They also had advertisements for Plastic Little which are burned into my brain.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

my earliest exposure to anime was watching tapes from japan with my friend and his dad that he was importing to help keep his son connected to home culture, and hear japanese from people other than his parents. around 93-2000. the first thing i ever saw other than the canadian dub of dragon ball was g gundam, but we watched a lot of robot anime as it was airing in particular along with doraemon and other kids stuff. we saw evangelion as it aired in full, which...is probably not the best way to watch that series. also watched gaogaigar that way which owned. i liked mic sounders because he spoke some english and i got excited that the cartoons knew english too. saw pokemon and digimon before they came over here, but i vastly prefer the dubs. yeah theyre dumb and noisy and kind of bastardized, but theyre fun and have charm. especially adventure 02, haters vacate. saw the cowboy bebop movie in a packed theater when it came out, i was like 12 i think. lotta hootin and hollerin about that. other than "kids" anime that youd see on saturday morning, a canadian station called ytv also had a pretty rad friday night block that i really loved. .hack sign, GITS SAC (they banned the episode with the guy that would carve a tshirt off his victims!!! got mad about that one), inu-yasha, witch hunter robin, dragon ball gt. lotta good stuff on friday nights. i had every issue of north american shonen jump from the second issue (the light blue one with naruto on it, the first issue was a giveaway at a con and always pissed me off that i couldnt get it because i wanted to read the first issue of one piece!!!!!) all the way through to like 07 i think. a local video store named george's had some anime hidden in the back. some of it was ok for kids to watch. some of it was ninja scroll and urotsukidoji and la blue girl. always a roll of the dice down at george's. at that point i had a close friend in middle school that was also pretty into anime, but in a much more normal way than the average anime liker of that era, his dad had always been into it so he'd also just grown up watching miyazaki and importing stuff. we went to anime north a few times, in the twilight years of it being cool, when they ran the constellation hotel and then maybe one or two years after they moved to the convention center and it got lovely. amv hell was a pretty huge deal for a 13 year old in 2003 haha. they had a masquerade thing that was 18 up but there were also "secret" ones if you knew where to look. skeevy, in retrospect. such is anime.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

That and Castle in the Sky / Appleseed / Dominion Tank Police

Mid 90s. My older brother had them on VHS, which was my only exposure as we had 4 TV channels and none of them were showing anime :corsair:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In Québec we got a whole bunch of dubbed anime that I remember watching as a kid: Grendizer (localized as Goldorak), Mahotsukai Sally (as Minifée), Sherlock Hound, Huckleberry Finn (yes they made a Huck Finn anime), Rocky Chuck (as Les Contes de la forêt verte), Maya the Bee, Anne of Green Gables, Uchuusen Sagitarrius (as Les Aventuriers de L'espace) and a poo poo-ton more I'm trying to remember.

And that's without going into the France/Canada-Japan co-productions like Mysterious Cities of Gold.

When I became a teen I got into anime as anime, with Dragon ball and Yugioh and Full Metal Alchemist and Inu-Yasha and Gundam and a poo poo-ton more. But my first memories are these dubbed cartoons that I didn't know were anime until much later.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
It's a little fuzzy now, but sometime in 1998 I caught an episode of Sailor Moon on Toonami not knowing what it was. Think it was the one with the plane chasing after them in the fight. Forgot about it for a few weeks and then caught it again, the episode where Jupiter joins up, and watched consistently from then. Was pretty mindblowing to me as a kid that there was a cartoon with an ongoing overarching plot (I hadn't watched Batman TAS, or Gargoyles, or similar 90s western cartoons that had plots). I even bought a VHS with what I thought was the final two episodes at a K-Mart to watch them ahead of the airing schedule...only to find there was another season afterwards. From there I got into Pokemon, DBZ (briefly), and the shows that Fox Kids got like Digimon and Monster Rancher. Tenchi Muyo was the first anime I watched after I knew it was anime, and Evangelion was the first anime I watched that hadn't aired on TV in the US at the time.

RealFoxy posted:

Thuryl just reminded me of "Giant Robot Week" on Toonami which had two very edited episodes of Evangelion. I remember anime magazines in the same era advertising "Everything you DIDN'T see in Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z" which were just pretty minor things other than Sailor Moon drinking alcohol at 14 or Krillin's death being a lot more brutal in the Freeza arc in Japan.

Giant Robot Week was where I learned about Martian Successor Nadesico - they aired episodes 1, 6, and 25 for some reason so I was very confused.
About changes made to anime and places talking about it: I had a printout from some website that listed out all of the cuts made from the Toonami airing of the various Tenchi Muyo series that I brought to school to share with my friends. A teacher confiscated it for being obscene material or something. Also I was a frequent reader of Sailor Moon Uncensored, a site that catalogued all the changes made to the original Sailor Moon dub - it's still online if you want a good dose of early 2000s web design and feelings. I may have run a copycat site for another magical girl anime myself...

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics was the first anime series I ever watched, back when I was about 4 years old. Of course, I had no concept of 'anime' or 'Japan' back then.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
SAM
UR
I

PIZ-ZA CATS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZNt9p4LWeA

pretty sure this aired on Agro before Sailor Moon did, which is what i would otherwise say was my first anime

i have no idea who thought "let's have our theme done in a Paul Lynde impression, that's something kids will like" but darn it, we did.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
My first anime was Sailor Moon when it aired in the early 90s on Fox Kids. I loved it right off the bat but they took it off very quickly. However, right after that a cable station started showing it. I believe it only went through the first couple arcs though.

Then like everyone else I was also way into Pokemon and Digimon.

What really made me an anime fan though was when Cartoon Network started showing Gundam Wing. I loved it! Even better was the Midnight Run where I could watch Dragon Ball Z and Gundam Wing UNCUT. Actually seeing blood? Amazing! I still have fond memories of that summer getting to stay up and watching Heero saying I'll Kill you instead of the censored destroy you, haha. Another incredible moment was when Goku finally made it off Snake Way, man how many times did they loop back after him getting there.

Okay, so now I was more than just a normal anime fan and what took me to the next step was my friend who could not stop talking about Evangelion. Every day on the bus he would talk about it all week and then on Friday he gave me a bunch of burned CDRs with the complete Evangelion season along with the movies. The rest of the weekend I did nothing but binge Evangelion. Now that I think about it that was the first time in my life I binged watched something.

Evangelion left me with so many questions so it drove me into the internet and into anime message boards wanting to talk about it and fully understand wtf I just watched. (editing to just mention that when I first joined SA and the years I just lurked before joining I remember the rules against making new Eva threads and I believe the same went for Azumanga.

ToxicToast fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 22, 2021

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKgNPqojzlM

This mediocre-rear end magical boy anime I watched in 8th grade was the first time I thought "wait, boys can be soft?" and it awakened something in me. (The opening is killer though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequ
Sep 5, 2009
-

Tequ fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 15, 2021