Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Problem description: Just bought a fancy new iMac to replace my aged Mac Mini. First app I installed was Firefox, and I noticed right away that things didn't look quite correct. Certain elements of web pages aren't displaying--most images show up, but things like toolbars and structural elements don't show up. Everything looks fine in Safari, so it's not a system-wide issue. I went into Firefox preferences to fool around, and some of the text isn't showing up properly. (Screencaps below.)

Gmail login shouldn't look like this:

Broken Amazon:

SA in Firefox:

SA in Safari (working properly):

Firefox Prefs screen. Text is visible when selected but not otherwise:

Attempted fixes: I turned off ad/tracker blocking in Firefox, made sure there were no weird accessibility settings turned on in MacOS. Google suggested I confirm there were no weird font settings in FF, and they're set at default. Of course cleared the FF cache. I deleted FF and reinstalled. The iMac shipped with BIg Sur 11.3 and I upgraded to 11.5.2 but the problem existed on both.

Recent changes: None, this is a new computer

Operating system: Mac OS Big Sur 11.5.2

System specs: iMac with Apple Processor, 8GB RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try running Firefox in safe mode and see if the issue continues.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Make sure your system time is set correctly, that can cause some pages to not load if it's out of date.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Schweinhund posted:

Make sure your system time is set correctly, that can cause some pages to not load if it's out of date.
Wasn't this, I have it set to just sync the time with the Internet.

Zogo posted:

You could try running Firefox in safe mode and see if the issue continues.
Will try this next, but here's something weird: from a suggestion in the general Mac thread, I tried logging in as guest and the issue doesn't affect the guest account. This means it's something limited to my account which is weird as hell. Any ideas?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Issue resolved: at Apple's suggestion, I made a new administrator user account and it worked fine there. Since the computer's new, I didn't really have anything saved in the other account, so nothing was lost. Beats the hell out of me--maybe something hiccuped when it was making the first home folder? :shrug:

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Issue resolved: at Apple's suggestion, I made a new administrator user account and it worked fine there. Since the computer's new, I didn't really have anything saved in the other account, so nothing was lost. Beats the hell out of me--maybe something hiccuped when it was making the first home folder? :shrug:

Just curious, did you try creating a new Firefox profile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
This is screaming accessibility option somewhere being enabled